facebook

Angular IDE refuses to start on my laptop

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

sun21170
    Participant

I am constantly getting the following message when I try to open Angular IDE from my Start Menu in Windows 10 laptop: Error when starting Angular IDE

If it doesn’t even start, then this IDE is useless for me.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by sun21170.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by sun21170.
    #623809 Reply

support-swapna

sun21170,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.
    The error points to 32 bit/64 bit conflict. It looks like the Angular IDE which is 64 bit is picking up the 32 bit version of Java.
    Program Files (x86) is the folder where 64-bit Windows places 32-bit programs.

The best way to fix this is to specify a 64-bit JRE or JDK in the angularide.ini file which is located in the Angular IDE installation folder.
    Add the below lines right before the -vmargs entry in the angularide.ini file. Example :

-vm
    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk\bin\javaw.exe

// edit it as per the path in your machine.

Please ensure the Java version is a 64 bit one. To check it, you can run this command: java -version
    Alternatively, you can edit the environment variable PATH and update to the correct JDK instead of this one : C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath\javaw.exe

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on with it.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#623812 Reply

sun21170
    Participant

All this was working before. But after I installed Eclipse, I got this error. Then I manually deleted all Eclipse folders, but I guess Eclipse made some permanent change to my laptop. Do you have an idea if Eclipse did something?

I have never used Eclipse, and I could not use the normal way of uninstalling Eclipse on my Window 10 laptop since it never shows in list of installed programs in Windows 10. So, all I could do is manually remove the Eclipse folders that I could find. But may be I forgot to delete some other Eclipse folders.

#623827 Reply

support-swapna

sun21170,

Eclipse wouldn’t make any changes to the Java that is installed on your machine or to the environment variables. It is possible that a Java update could have triggered changes to the environment variable.

Please see these links for more details about the 32 bit/64 bit conflicts :
    https://www.thecrazyprogrammer.com/2016/06/java-was-started-but-returned-exit-code13.html
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11461607/cant-start-eclipse-java-was-started-but-returned-exit-code-13

You can check if you have multiple versions of Java installed in your machine and delete them to avoid conflicts. Ensure you have a 64 bit version of JDK and point it in the angularide.ini ( in case you are working with a standalone install of Angular IDE or eclipse.ini if you have installed Angular IDE on top of Eclipse).

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#623859 Reply

sun21170
    Participant

I am not a Java developer but I see this version when I check it in command window: Java version.
    But it does not mention if the version is a 64-bit or 32-bit. I am guessing it’s 32-bit else it would say its 64-bit.

Anyways, I uninstalled Angular IDE and re-installed 64-bit version. Then it worked fine. But it was using above 32-bit Java, so I added the lines you suggested to angularide.ini and re-started IDE but it showed an error saying “Error: could not create Java Virtual Machine”. It doesn’t start with the lines I added in ini file attached.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by sun21170.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #623876 Reply

sun21170
    Participant

I made a mistake adding the suggested lines to ini file. I added the suggested lines after -vmargs when they should have been placed before it.

Once I made the right change then the IDE didn’t give this message “Error: could not create Java Virtual Machine”.
    So, it works fine now. Thanks for your help. And its pointing to Java under Program Files rather than Program Files(x86), which means that 64-bit Java is being used.

#623955 Reply

support-swapna

sun21170,

Glad that you are all set with Angular IDE.
    Please let us know if you see any issues when working with it.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Angular IDE refuses to start on my laptop

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in