facebook

Building Workspace takes forever [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ladams

Eclipse version 3.0.1 Build id: 200409161125

When I try to do anything including clear project I am getting the message “The user operator is waiting for “Building Workspace” to complete. If I click on task bar it shows that myeclipse is not responding. Have waited 10 minutes and workspace was still not rebuilt. What do I need to do to fix this?

#220961 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Eclipse can trigger a workspace rebuild when it detects a large configuration change, such as a new version. Additionally, Eclipse can consume a substantial amount of RAM when it swaps in everything it needs to rebuild your workspace. Please be sure you’re starting Eclipse with sufficient RAM by using commandline arguments similar to:

eclipse.exe -vmargs -Xms128M -Xmx256M

#220973 Reply

ladams

Scott – sorry about prior message there was a typo in bat file, the VM is created and eclipse comes up but I still have the same building workspace problem only now instead of 14% being shown in the status bar it shows 28%. What else can I try? Do you think (shudder) uninstalling myeclipse and doing a fresh install would fix it?

#220976 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

First, sometimes workspace builds take time and Eclipse doesn’t respond well while they’re ongoing. What makes you believe this is in error? Second, I’d be sure to upgrade to version 3.8.3 of MyEclipse if you haven’t already. I’d try doing a parallel install of Eclipse 3.0.1 and ME 3.8.3 and then opening your existing workspace with the new config to see if it behaves differently.

#221113 Reply

ladams

The reason it was an issue was because every action (new class, new jsp, build project) was causing a ten plus minutes rebuild of workspace. All that aside, updated to new version and problem has disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions.

#221562 Reply

KenGentle

@ladams wrote:

The reason it was an issue was because every action (new class, new jsp, build project) was causing a ten plus minutes rebuild of workspace. All that aside, updated to new version and problem has disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions.

Well, MyEclipse seems to be launching a recompile of all JSPs in any open project whenever I try to do an ANT operation, even in unrelated projects that happen to be open.

How do I turn this behavior off?

Thanks in advance

Ken

#221566 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ken,
    Can you please post all the information we request in the [URL=http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-393.html]Posting Guidelines[/URL] thread at the top of this forum? That will give us some context so that we can determine if this is an installation issue, a configuration problem, or a bug. Thanks.

#221611 Reply

KenGentle

What operating system and version are you running?

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Version    5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195

What Eclipse version and build id are you using? (Help > About Eclipse Platform)

Version: 3.0.1
    Build id: 200409161125

– Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse?
    No

– If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager?
    From 3.0 to 3.0.1 if I recall correctly.

– Are any other external plugins installed?
    Yes.
    – How many plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory are like org.eclipse.pde.*

$ ls -d1 org.eclipse.pde.*
    org.eclipse.pde.build_3.0.1
    org.eclipse.pde.core_3.0.1
    org.eclipse.pde.doc.user_3.0.0
    org.eclipse.pde.junit.runtime_3.0.0
    org.eclipse.pde.runtime_3.0.1
    org.eclipse.pde.source_3.0.1
    org.eclipse.pde.ui_3.0.1

What MyEclipse version are you using? (Help > About Eclipse Platform > Features)
    What JDK version are you using to run Eclipse? (java -version)

$ java -version
    java version "1.5.0"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-b64)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-b64, mixed mode)

What JDK version are you using to launch your application server?

$ /c/Add-Ons/bea/jdk131/bin/java -version
    java version "1.3.1_09"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_09-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_09-b03, mixed mode)
    syseth@WWIL005961 $

What steps did you take that resulted in the issue?
    Created a small ant project and attempted to execute a target in it. MyEclipse then started
    compiling every JSP in every project I had in my workspace, whether I had indicated it was a
    web project or not. This took several minutes.

What application server are you using?
    WebLogic 6.1sp3

Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? (<workspace>/.metadata/.log)
    None related to MyEclipse.
    There are exceptions fromt the Ant editor (attempting to create code completions for tasks that
    don’t have dependent libraries present (like StarTeam)) and from a non-working CCC-Harvest plugin
    that is looking for a set of UI parts that apparently aren’t there.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ken

#221616 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ken,
    The build of the JSPs should have only occured once… do they continue to occur agressively no matter what operation you are performing? On a side note JDK 1.5 is not supported or tested with Eclipse 3.0.1 and MyEclipse, there is 1 issue so far w.r.t. to building that using JDK 1.5 effects with MyEclipse; so I think it might be a good idea to back peddle to JDK 1.4.2_06 and use the -vm flag for Eclipse to tell it to launch with that VM (so you can keep JDK 1.5 installed on your system and use it when you need it).

#469423 Reply

ajendra
    Participant

if my web application have not any error then my eclipse produce fast output and if my web application have any error then my eclipse produce launching client that is running 15 min. and finally not produce any error or debug window………why? pls help me…..

#469436 Reply

support-swapna

Ajendra,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. I have already responded to your email. For your convenience, I am pasting the reply here as well.

Can you please give us some more information?

1. What exact errors are reported in your web application?. It is recommended you fix the errors before attempting to deploy the project.
    2. Please switch to a new workspace, replicate the issue with deployment and send us the .log file located at /.metadata/.log along with the contents of the Console view to help us investigate further.
    3. Also share with us the MyEclipse Build Id from Help > About section. If possible, please send us the project as well to replicate the issue at our end.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Building Workspace takes forever [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in