facebook

Cannot reverse engineer a table

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Mork
    Participant

Brian,

Please delete my three images I posted above after you have looked at them. I have no way to edit images apparently.

To your points above:

1. It makes no difference which database I pick to right-click the zip codes table and try to reverse engineer it — see attached image below. This exception happens on either of the two database connections.

This is opposed to trying to reverse engineer from within the project where the dialog does nothing — but I know you hopefully have that but fixed or close to it.

2. The MySQL connection uses the root user so that connection has all rights.

3. Went ahead and tried this anyway. Changed the user on the zip codes connection to root. Made no difference. See attached error message.

It is worth mentioning again that when MyEclipse previously (earlier this year or late last year) successfully reverse engineered the data from the zip codes connection, the rights were set up just as they are now. No database rights issues (SELECT only, for example) have changed.

HTH

Thanks,

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mork.
    #631863 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mork,

Yes, the SELECT rights aren’t the problem – works for us here too, and clearly, it looks like my DEFAULT CATALOG theory wasn’t correct either, based on your other test.

1) We have still been unable to reproduce the problem, so we’re running out of options. What is the last version of MyEclipse you successfully reverse engineered this table with? Is it possible to try that version again and confirm that it still works? If it does, you could very well go on and use that generated code as well, because our latest versions don’t change anything in this department.

2) It’s a bit of a long shot because I don’t see how this could be related, but can you try modifying the -vm argument in myeclipse.ini to point to a Java 8 JDK instead? Then start MyEclipse, which will now run with Java 8 instead (you can still develop with more recent versions of Java). Does this fix the problem by any chance?

#631864 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Brian,

You had replied before that this was the “top priority” and you were working on it. Are you really telling me that it’s been 2+ weeks and you weren’t actually reproducing the problem???

Nothing has changed on my side except for MyEclipse.

I’m running out of options also. 🙁

Thanks,

#631876 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mork,

Sorry if there was an implication that we reproduced the problem. I did mention earlier that we did find some issues, though they were specific to reverse engineering from the project, as opposed to the DB Browser, with seemingly no relation to the actual problem you’re seeing. If we had reproduced the problem (we’ve tried on about half a dozen different systems with both dev, QA and myself involved), we’d definitely have a fix available. In all our tests, the Reverse Engineering sails right through, with expected code generated at the end.

Nothing has changed on my side except for MyEclipse.

Please let us know what version of MyEclipse this worked with? At our end this code hasn’t changed in a few years as the functionality is stable and hasn’t required mods. If you know it worked with 2017 for instance, you can have 2017 installed in parallel (no need to uninstall 2019) and reverse engineer with it to generate the code. Not ideal, of course, but 2017 and 19 would generate the same code, you can continue to work on the project (other than RE) in 2019.

I have also suggested an option of trying to start MyEclipse 2019 with Java 8. Are neither of these options you can try?

This also makes me realize that we haven’t asked you for the RE settings you are using (though the error seems to be a bit more fundamental than that) – can you attach (or PM) screenshots of each page of the wizard please?

I would really appreciate it if you could try these suggestions, and if nothing comes out of these, we’ll look into getting a meeting set up to see the issue first hand. Sorry I don’t have better news to share atm.

#631879 Reply

Mork
    Participant

I don’t recall which version of MyEclipse but it was last year sometime.

I checked my build path, and it is Java 8.

I’ve attached three screenshots:

1. Java 8 selected on build path

2. Java 8 selected under Java compiler

Was there somewhere else you’re referring to that I need to change?

—-

3. Screenshots for reverse engineering wizard (nothing happens after OK clicked on second screenshot).

(I had already sent you a video showing these two steps with nothing happening after)

Thanks,

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #631884 Reply

Brian Fernandes

1) This is not about the build path on the project , this is about the VM used to start MyEclipse, which is Java 11 in the case of MyEclipse 2019.04. You would need to change the VM pointed to by the -vm argument in the myeclipse.ini/(eclipse.ini on Mac) file to a Java 8 VM. In case you need help, this post talks about where the file can be found: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/installation-where-are-the-myeclipse-files-and-folders/

2) I should have been clearer earlier – could you please us your wizard choices when reverse engineering from the DB Browser view? In this case I believe the wizard does some up, allowing you to make some choices and the failure is only on finishing the wizard?

3) re: MyEclipse version – did you update that version to the current, 2019.4 build, or did you install a fresh copy of MyEclipse? Given urgency, is there anything preventing you from installing MyEclipse 2017, reverse engineering and getting on with the project? Reiterating that 2017 could just be used to reverse engineer, while 2019 can still be used for the rest of the development activities. This is not to say we’ll ignore the bug, of course – I just want to propose solutions that will allow you to keep moving forward with your project while we get this sorted out.

#631892 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Let’s try a re-install first. Java 11 is a current version so MyEclipse should certainly work with that. I think Java 13 is coming soon or is already out so 11 should be supported.

I updated to 2019.4.

Trying to use the uninstaller with MyEclipse gives the error you see on the attached.

My JAVA_HOME in .bash_profile is: export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/amazon-corretto-8.jdk/Contents/Home

Should I just drag the MyEclipse app to the trash from Applications?

Thanks,

Attachments:
    #631949 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Okay, I re-installed MyEclipse so the MyEclipse uninstaller would work. Then I un-installed MyEclipse using the MyEclipse uninstaller, manually removed the MyEclipse CI folder from /Applications. Then installed MyEclipse again.

Reverse engineering did not work. No change.

I tried to change the VM startup option in the file:

/Applications/MyEclipse CI/MyEclipse CI.app/Contents/Profile/eclipse.ini

Changed the VM argument to: “-vm
    /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/amazon-corretto-8.jdk/Contents/MacOS/libjli.dylib”

Reverse engineering did not work. No change.

I am upgrading to 10.15 this weekend now that all my 32-bit programs have been updated so I’ll try that. Then, I’ll try on Windows… 🙁

—————————————————–

I’ve added a couple screenshots:

1. The incredibly slow installer. 10 minutes at least.

2. Current firewall restrictions on MyEclipse on my system. Should not have any effect, but just listing here. No reason I want MyEclipse contacting Google for ANYTHING!

Attachments:
    #631965 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mork,

Let’s set up a call where can go over this together. Would a call today at 11:30 AM CDT work for you?

Could you also download the 2017 CI 10 installer from our download page before this call? We can install it together, or you can install it in advance. Installing 2017 CI 10 will require no changes to be made to your new 2019 installation, you can leave that untouched, with no need to uninstall it.

#631974 Reply

Mork
    Participant

2017 had the same problem – no reverse engineering. And, then it hung with a beachball.

If you have my phone number on file, 11:30 CDT would be fine for a phone call. Let me know.

If you don’t have my phone number on file, send me an email and I’ll email the number back.

Will be installing Catalina this morning as something else to try.

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

#631982 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mork,

I just sent you a PM (here on the forums) with meeting details. To be clear – we will need a web/video meeting so that we can see your screen and work through the issues live.

#631985 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Sorry, our company policy does not allow remote access or screen sharing.

Thanks,

#631998 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mork,

1) OK – a voice call wouldn’t help, so we will have to work at this some other way.

2) You mentioned that 2017 had the same problem, it’s really odd then that it did work for you last year, with an unknown version of MyEclipse – could it have been a version prior to 2017?

#631999 Reply

Mork
    Participant

No way. It wasn’t that long ago.

What is your code doing when I click the button to reverse engineer things?

Can you put some debug code in a test version so we can see what’s happening?

10.15.1 installed. Same problem.

—-

I also had reported a problem in another project (a regular Java application) where the GIT plug-in didn’t add some files to the repository. That could just be a bug with the Git plug-in but I thought I’d mention it.

#632008 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Just checked my laptop with same version of MySQL and MyEclipse. Same issue there.

I can’t believe you don’t have try-catch logic with some type of logging (log4j?) in your code you could “turn on” to help debug this.

The main reason I love(ed) MyEclipse was the reverse engineering that other IDEs, for whatever baffling reason, don’t include.

Now that that feature isn’t working, unless we can resolve this, I won’t (obviously) renew.

Appreciate your help, but I’m now in week 3 with no solution or even identification of the problem after 2 ^ n screenshots and video.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
Reply To: Cannot reverse engineer a table

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in