facebook

Configure Multiple Tomcat 5 instances

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

cmikos

Hi,

I would like to configure different Tomcat 5 instances for different projects which consequently use different versions of Tomcat 5.

How do I do this?

Thanks,

Christopher

#269683 Reply

Loyal Water

Hi cmikos,
    After you have configured a server connector, you can go to Window > Prefs > MyEclipse > App Server, then click the app server you configured, go to the Launch settings under it and click “Create Custom Launch Configuration”. Now that configuration will be available under your Run tasks from the toolbar and you can configure the startup arguments however you like.

#270017 Reply

Finch

Hey, good to know! I’d almost consider that a “hidden feature” 😉
    I’d seen the “Create Custom Launch”, but had not realized that it can/should be used for multiple configurations. After all, the default launch configuration works just fine for me so I never used that feature. HOWEVER, I’d been waiting for this since at least 3.8! (even posted in the forum, iirc, feature was promised for 4.0, then postponed to 5.0). I’d almost given up 😉

Maybe the labelling could be a little clearer in that case 😉

#270022 Reply

cmikos

I’d like to see it such that you could launch the “Custom Launch Configuration” from the “Servers” view in the workbench…and keep track of instance(tomcat version) specific deployments.

If you do use the method above for configuring multiple instances of Tomcat and you, like me, like to use the “Servers’ view to manage deployments. (I used to like it for launching tomcat too!)

To maintain a single “Tomcat 5” node in the servers view with multiple instance specific project deployments, you’ll have to go into Window > Preferences > MyEclipse > Application Servers > Tomcat 5 , for each instance specific project deployment you have and temporarily modify the “Tomcat Home Directory” and then define your deployment to that “instance” of Tomcat 5 that you wish to use for this project’s deployment either packaged or exploded. After which you’ll be able to use the run button, for example, to launch each of your different “Tomcat 5.5.XX” instances and use the “Servers” view to deploy your new war file, unless you want to add a custom deployment for each?

I like to “see” all of my resources under one node to keep the view clean and compact so I can see as much of it as possible while still being able to maximize my editor pane without having to actually maximize it infront of all the other views, it also makes the workflow less time consuming.

#270043 Reply

Riyad Kalla

cmikos,
    Good suggestion. I think having these, as a first pass, all under Servers would be very handy.

#281396 Reply

cmikos

Hey,

Although I figured out how to do this and was using it quite happily, now that I’ve upgraded to version 6 I can’t figure out how to do this?

#281397 Reply

Riyad Kalla

cmikos,
    Could you clarify what you mean by “do this” means?

Custom Launch Configurations for servers has stayed untouched between 5.5 and 6 release… it should all be the same… unless you meant something else?

#288577 Reply

Dan

Where is this mysterious Run Tasks on the Tool bar? I can not find such an icon. (I’m running 6.5.1)

#288592 Reply

Riyad Kalla

dshopkins, can you be more specific, I don’t know what you are referring to.

#293300 Reply

ernestz

Any follow up on this?

I have been using ‘regular’ Eclipse where you can have multiple server instances (basically one Tomcat installation, with mutiple “catalina.base” instances for different projects and I’d like to duplicate this behavior with MyEclipse 6.6.

I followed the instructions to create the Custom Configuration and set the different startup properties and paths. This configuration was saved under a different name “Tomcat 5.5 (Flex)”. In the MyEclipse Server view, my Tomcat instance changes from “Tomcat 5.x” to “Tomcat 5.x [Tomcat 5.x (Flex)].

The problems I see are:

1. In this custom configuration, I configured “catalina.base” to a different directory containing only the directories for ./conf, ./webapps, ./logs, ./temp, ./work. “catalina.home” is still pointing at the original tomcat installation directory containing all of the binaries. But, after you start this new launch configuration (displaying the alternate name), the Server view shows the “Location” as the original Tomcat webapps directory and applications deployed in that directory, not an empty webapps directory for the new “catalina.base”.

2.You can start this instance for Run or Debug mode, but you cannot stop the instance. The stop toolbar button and the Stop popup menu option are disabled.

3. If I go back to the Run or Debug launches, there is no instance of the new launch configuration. Using menu items for Run -> Open Run Dialog, I scroll down to the MyEclipse Server and see only the original “Tomcat 5.x” configuration. No trace of my new custom launch configuration. Also, there is no .launch configuration for this setup in the workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches directory.

4. It appears that the only thing a “custom configuration” does is temporarily rename the Server in the view. When you restart MyEclipse, the server view displays the original “Tomcat 5.x” server name.

Did I just miss something regarding setting up multiple Tomcat server instances, basically, one catalina.home (with binaries) and multiple catalina.base to contain different server configuration files and different web applications?

#293456 Reply

Loyal Water

ernestz,
    We are looking into this issue that you have reported and we shall get back to you with an update asap. Thank you for your pateince.

#293503 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ernestz,

This bug has been confirmed, we don’t have it targetted for a specific future release yet, but we appreciate you reporting it to us.

#294960 Reply

henk

Rkalla,

Is there any ETA for true support for multiple instances of any AS straight through the user interface? I’ve been a long time user of MyEclipse, and I seem to remember this feature was already requested quite often back in those early days. Some 6 years later, MyEclipse has come a far way, but it still doesn’t offer this. I also recall that MyEclipse BLUE! did had this feature for multiple web sphere instances. I can’t find the exact post anymore, but I remember you said this would be one of the features that would eventually trickle back in the main stream MyEclipse.

The reason why I’m asking is that we currently have an application that runs on Tomcat, which communicates via EJB session beans with another part of the application that runs on Jboss. The development situation is quite easy now. We deploy the first part of the app to Tomcat and the second part of the app to Jboss and can happily code and debug away.

However, in the next few months we’re going to upgrade the first part of the application to also run on Jboss. For a realistic development environment, we would still like this to be a separate instance of Jboss (so the remoting code gets tested automatically). The thing is that MyEclipse makes this entire second instance thing a bit difficult. It’s of course not that difficult if you have to explain it to just one other developer, but with a team it gets hard really. Some of the team members are not super experienced Java developers and there’s the steady stream of interns of course. There is already a lot to explain and small things like this second instance thing might just be the last straw for some developers that causes mental break down.

An ETA for an easy second instance for any AS would thus be highly appreciated.

#295001 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Henk,

We deserve to get called to the table on this one — it was always on my short list and just kept getting bumped and bumped in leui of higher profile work. I’m resurrecting the effort and have asked for a dev-cost analysis from one of the developers on this feature to then present to management and see if we can get this addressed.

Thanks for surfacing this.

#307822 Reply

Obviously MyEclipse has a way to deal with multiple servers (Tomcat 4, Tomcat 5, Tomcat 6). How difficult can it be to make the number of servers variable for each version: Tomcat 5 instance 1, Tomcat 5 instance 2? I am not even asking to have multiple instances (different catalina.base) on one version, I only for multiple servers each installed in its own folder. How much more difficult can that be as compared to having Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 in parallel?

Isn’t there a configuration file that describes the available servers and that could be edited to add multiple installations of the same version of tomcat?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Configure Multiple Tomcat 5 instances

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in