facebook

Darkest Dark theme has highlight issue

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

wayneb64
    Participant

The Package Explorer, Ant and History views all suffer the same issue where a selected item has a grey background and slightly lighter text making them unreadable. The latest version I just updated to did NOT fix the issue. You can read the version in the second attacked file (or can you?)

EDIT: Not sure if this matters but I am running Eclipse on a Win 7 64-bit VM.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by wayneb64.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #674362 Reply

support-swapna

Wayne,

Sorry that the issue persists. Thank you for the screenshots.
    Can you please also share the OS and version, OS theme(if any) details?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#674363 Reply

Aaron Lara

wayneb64, Thanks for sharing the details and ScreenShots! Unfortunately, this is a known limitation of SWT on Windows 7, and it happens too in the Eclipse dark theme (without DevStyle) for the same reason. The highlight color is provided by the OS and it won’t allow SWT to properly customize it. From the look of your windows, I guess you don’t have Aero enabled, maybe a different Windows theme helps. To be clear.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#674365 Reply

wayneb64
    Participant

Can you be more specific about Windows 7 themes and ‘Aero’. What should I change?

#674366 Reply

wayneb64
    Participant

I am running an older Eclipse (2020-03) with Dev Style and Darkest Dark and it’s working fine on the same Win 7 VM, why does that not have the same issue?

Attachments:
    #674368 Reply

wayneb64
    Participant

Which Windows Color and Appearance Icon is setting that highlight color? I can never figure out which one is correct and don’t want to totally mess up my windows colors.

Attachments:
    #674370 Reply

Aaron Lara

Sorry, I should have been more clear when I said this was a known limitation on SWT itself. That is, it’s an issue on newer Eclipse versions running against old Windows versions. Not specific to DevStyle. If you disable DevStyle and use the Eclipse Dark theme, it’s highly possible you run into the same exact issue. That being said, a blind shot is to play with the different windows themes (OS level) and enabling aero if possible: https://obsproject.com/wiki/How-to-enable-or-disable-Aero-in-Windows-7

Cheers!

#674371 Reply

wayneb64
    Participant

I turned on an Aero theme and restarted Eclipse but it had no affect. Will editing windows colors let me change that highlight background color? If so which item color?

#674372 Reply

Aaron Lara

I’m Sorry that the suggestions didn’t help. I don’t really know if editing windows colors will do the trick, maybe if you find a dark-friendly combination. I suggest you try searching on the Eclipse forums. Maybe they have a workaround since this issue is a more generic one.

#674425 Reply

wayneb64
    Participant

I created a Bugzilla issue against this and according to the developers there, the Dev Style developers can fix this themselves:

“All components of Eclipse including SWT are open source. Any interested party
    could contribute to it so if the DevStyle people want they could fix this at
    its source. See
    https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipsePlatformDevelopment/article.html for a
    description for the process and examples how to do this.”

Here is the open ticket:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=574054

#674428 Reply

Aaron Lara

Wayne, as much as I’d like to fix this for you, my boss won’t allow me to work on a fix for an OS that Microsoft has End-Of-Lifed . Sorry about that, but we are focused on working on the most requested features and bug fixed for all the platforms (Windows, linux and Mac, as well as new and old Eclipse version) and there are no enough people on Windows 7 to make it affordable to spend the time on it.

If I remember correctly upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 was free (I guess you can google it to confirm), I recommend doing that if that’s possible for you as you might find more software stopping the support for that version of windows.

Have a great day!
    Aaron Lara

#674435 Reply

wayneb64
    Participant

Do you have access to data that shows how many people are still using Win 7? I have three PCs to ‘maintain’ on Win 10 and it’s a little chore I have to deal with about once a month. Upgrading my work VM would not only bump that number to four but it could break something I am using on the VM.

#677584 Reply

Alex Lara
    Participant

same issue here:
    windows 11 (NOT windows 7)
    – Eclipse 2021-12-M2 (but the problem is the same in pervious versions)

The constrast problems are usually located at [tree views] as you can see at the attached screenshot

Attachments:
    #677586 Reply

Alex Lara
    Participant

same issue here:
    windows 11 (NOT windows 7)
    – Eclipse 2021-12-M2 (but the problem is the same in pervious versions)

The constrast problems are usually located at [tree views] as you can see at the attached screenshot

#677797 Reply

support-swapna

Alex,

Sorry about the highlight issue. Thank you for the screenshot.
    Do you have any particular Windows theme set in the machine? Does it help if you switch to a different OS theme?
    Do you see the same problem with Eclipse Dark theme as well?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Darkest Dark theme has highlight issue

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in