facebook

Devstyle erased the format setting in syntaxColoring

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

aonymous
    Participant

[Issue Description]

I don’t know why Devstyle always erases the formatting of SYNTAX COLORING settings.

Once you closed your Eclipse, all the format settings in syntax coloring will be reseted to a fixed normal style, for example like italic of static items, of bold for keywords.

No matter how I saved the configuration it wouldn’t change(see img1,img2). Even importing a preferences file(.epf) can’t overwrite the format until uninstalling Devstyle.

After uninstalling Devstyle, all the format settings turned right even you didn’t modify anything(see img3). It’s just like that some settings implicit in Devstyle have covered the syntaxColoring setting.

It seems like that case just happened in Dark theme series, Light theme series works fine.(But I do really need the Dark theme)

Same problem happended in Eclipse Photon too.

[Enviroment Information]

IDE Version: Eclipse Oxygen.2 Release (4.7.2)
    IDE Package: (Eclipse for Java EE)
    Theme: Dark Grey
    Relevant Plugins Installed: Null (Totally newly installed Eclipse)

[Steps to reproduce the issue]

1. Set any Devstyle-Dark theme;
    2. Modify the format in SyntaxColoring setting Manully;
    3. Reopen Eclipse and see changes;

• This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by aonymous. Reason: Add detail
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #557006 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

Emmmmm….
    Am I not making the case clear…
    Or I just made a rookie mistake?
    :D
    If so could anyone point it out? I’ll be so grateful for it…

#557007 Reply

support-swapna

aonymous,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the details and the screenshots.
    I tried to replicate the problem at my end but I do see the settings in the Syntax Coloring preferences page being intact across Eclipse restarts.

Can you please switch to a new workspace and check if you still see the problem? If yes, then please share with us the OS and version details along with the .log file located in the workspace dir/.metadata/.log for further investigation.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#557012 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

My sincere appreciation for your reply.
    I’ll try again in my testPC later and see if some wrong settings affected in COLORS_AND_FONTS;
    I uploaded two versions of .log file but them look too much. I wish this insignificance won’t take too much of your time and recommend you to see it only when you have redundant time.
    Maybe it’s just caused by the zh-CN enviroment of my OS, nothing serious.
    Anyway I’m fine with Devstyle yet. Those settings won’t cost much time.
    Thanks again for your help.

Attachments:
    #557053 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Some problems could be caused by Oomph restoring / setting values.

1) On the Color Themes preference page, do you have “Allow Ooomph…” selected? It should not be.
    2) Do you have a c:\users\[user_name]\.eclipse folder? If yes, shut down Eclipse, rename that folder and start Eclipse again. Now try changing colors and restart – any difference?
    3) From your log, it wasn’t easy to ascertain the version of the DevStyle theme – can you share a screenshot of your DevStyle > Color Themes preference page?

#557188 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

To Brian Fernandes

Sorry to waste so much time before replying you cause I gong to make some test in another end.

[Answering]
    1) The “Allow Oomph to track & set theming preferences (not recommended)” choice is closed, cause it says not recommended so i haven’t try it.
    2) I have try to rename the folder, when Eclipse restart a new .eclipse was generated, and themes gose as usual.
    3) See image in this floor for COLOR_THEMES setting and APPEARANCE setting.

[Procedure Test]
    To reproduce the problem I have install Eclipse Photon in my another PC, the detail steps was in next floor.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by aonymous. Reason: Format editing
    Attachments:
    #557193 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

To Brian Fernandes

[Procedure Test]
    All these operation behind executed on a test end.

0) Install JDK8 in default position and deploy system environment variables(omitted)

1) Install Eclipse Photon in default position. (see Test-1.png)

2) The SYNTAX_COLORING setting is alright at this time. (see Test-2.png)

3) The APPEARANCE setting is Eclipse-Default Light. (see Test-3.png)

4) Then I straightly install Devstyle in Marketplace without any setting changes.
    Choose Fresh Light Theme at the Welcome-board. (see Test-4.png)

RQ

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by aonymous.
    Attachments:
    #557199 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

Continue

5) The Welcome-panel in Eclipse. (see Test-5.png)

6) SYNTAX-COLORING setting is fine in Devstyle-LightGrey theme. (see Test-6.png)

7) Then we change the theme to DarkGrey in COLOR_THEMES setting with out touching anything else. (see Test-7.png)

8) Reopen Eclipse and that’s when error occured. (see Test-8.png)

RQ

Attachments:
    #557207 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

Continue

9) Afterwards I manually set the SYNTAX_COLORING setting. (see Test-9.png)

10) Reopen Eclipse, it happend again. (see Test-10.png)

11) And APPEARANCE setting is in img at that time. (see Test-11.png)

12) Change back the theme to Devstyle-LightGrey, theme works fine. (see Test-12.png)

RQ

Attachments:
    #557212 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

Continue

13) Turn off Devstyle and choose Eclipse-Default-Light theme. (see Test-13.png)
    Change setting and reopen Eclipse, the configuration stay.

14) Turn off Devstyle and choose Eclipse-Default-Dark theme. (see Test-14.png)
    Change setting and reopen Eclipse, same error happended.

So I think it’s not caused by Devstyle. It’s the problem of Eclipse-Default-Dark series theme. But I still don’t know why there are default theme in Eclipse (It is imbedded with the install of Eclipse, I can’t wipe it off) and why nobody else got that problem.

Anyhow thanks for your follow-up. Now I’m clear it’s not an issue of Devstyle. I’ll deal with it by myself then.

Attachments:
    #557223 Reply

support-swapna

aonymous,

Thank you for the detailed steps and the screenshots.
    When you change themes, the syntax colors will change to be in sync with the selected theme even if you set them manually. However if you make changes to the Syntax Coloring settings after you changed the theme, those settings will be persisted across sessions/restarts as long as you don’t change the theme. It is supposed to work this way and is not a buggy behavior.

For example, if you are in the Dark Gray theme and you change the Syntax Coloring settings manually and restart the IDE, you should see your changes still there. But if you are changing the theme to LightGrey, then obviously the Syntax Coloring settings will change to be in sync with the theme selected and your changes if not in sync with the selected theme will be discarded. The same applies to Eclipse’s default themes as well.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#557239 Reply

aonymous
    Participant

To support-swapna

I know your meanings but my problem is exactly that: The certain-single theme can’t remember my changes. (No theme-switch among those changing operation.)
    I change theme before just to prove that only Dakr series theme has bug.

But, all of those don’t matter anymore, I have figure out the way to make Devstyle working properly.
    And this solution makes me more convinced that:
    There is a conflict between Eclipse-Default-Theme and Devstyle-Enhanced-Theme.
    The Eclipse-Default-Theme covered Devstyle-Theme.
    All the changes I made are to Devstyle, but what I can see is the fixed Eclipse-Default-Theme.

[Solutions]

1) Turn off the Devstyle-Theme and restart Eclipse. see Solution-1.png

2) After reopening, cancle the Enable-theming choice for Eclipse-Default-Theme. see Solution-2.png
    Apply but don’t close the Preferences window. Cauze it will reset by itself when you closed Preferences.

3)Now go to Devstyle setting, turn on the Devstyle-Theme. see Solution-3.png

4) All the settings you have made to Devstyle will come back. see Solution-4.png
    Then make any changes in SYNTAX-COLORING, they will be fully remembered.

Attachments:
    #557612 Reply

support-swapna

aonymous,

Thank you for posting your findings and the solution. I have escalated this problem to the dev team for further investigation. We will keep you posted about the fix schedule.

Apologies for inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you see any other issues.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#600239 Reply

luuk80
    Participant

I have encountered the same problem as above. The solution posted by aonymous works for me only once:
    1. After carefully walking through the steps indicated by aonymous, I changed the syntax highlighting of e.g., comments (see observation-1.png)
    2. Restart Eclipse to see if the changes stick – Success! (see observation-2.png)
    3. Restart Eclipse again to see if the changes will be around forever – Sadly no, they have reverted back to the selected theme and no longer override the theme colours.(see observation-3.png)

Using Eclipse CDT 2018-09, and Darkest Dark Theme with DevStyle 2018.9.25 on Windows 10.

I understand that any syntax highlighting set *after* selecting a theme should be persistent between restarts of Eclipse, but I can’t seem to get that behaviour. Any other workarounds available?

I’ve attached some screenshots.

Attachments:
    #600244 Reply

luuk80
    Participant

Please find also attached the .log file. I also received an error report in Eclipse upon the second restart, which seems to refer to the bundle com.genuitec.eclipse.core. The report is attached as well.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Devstyle erased the format setting in syntaxColoring

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in