facebook

DevStyle in Eclipse on MacBook pro forces to use discrete graphics

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

slavago
    Participant

Hi,
    After installing DevStyle (darkest dark theme) on Eclipse 4.15 on MacBook Pro (Catalina version) forces Mac to use discrete graphics card and don’t allow it to use integrated Intel HD which leads to faster battery drain. When I uninstalling then integrated graphics card is used.

Please advise.
    Please sea attached screenshot of utility that shows what app is requesting discrete card.
    Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #653364 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! We are not aware of any specific code we can disable that would not negatively impact the behavior of DevStyle. Can you check if this issue also happens with Eclipse’s Dark Theme?

I have filed a bug to investigate this issue.

#653365 Reply

slavago
    Participant

Hi,
    I checked, once I removed DevStyle eclipse works fine with any eclipse theme snd not forces to use discrete graphics.

Thanks

#653366 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thanks for confirming! We’ll let you know once we find something.

Cheers!

#674441 Reply

jcoleman
    Participant

Hi Aaron, I wanted to check in to see what the resolution of this is. I am seeing the same thing and am looking for a solution. I can force the intel GPU using gfxcardstatus, but without it, the discrete card is elevated when launch eclipse with DevStyle.

#674443 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hi! I’m sorry about the silence. We are not able to test this in our mac machines but we found that the GPU usage is coming from the JDK itself when we render the WebIcons (you know, the cool-looking icons we placed all over Eclipse on DevStyle). It would be really helpful if you can try the following flags and see which one (or combination of flags) make it work for you and allows DevStyle to still work:

-Dprism.order=sw
    -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
    -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false

Add them to the <eclipse install>/eclipse.ini file after -vmargs.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: DevStyle in Eclipse on MacBook pro forces to use discrete graphics

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in