facebook

DevStyle removes many of my Java syntax options

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

sol-lucet-omnibus
    Participant

I love the Darkest Dark theme, the icon updates and pastel choices, and so on. What I despise is that it removes many of my Java Syntax Coloring options. When viewing my Eclipse workspace’s .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file, I consistently find the following items removed, even after I shut down Eclipse, restore the values, and start Eclipse up again. I don’t think all the values themselves are necessarily important, but the keys certainly are:

• content_assist_completion_replacement_background=200,200,0
    • content_assist_completion_replacement_foreground=200,0,0
    • content_assist_parameters_background=52,57,61
    • content_assist_parameters_foreground=238,238,238
    • content_assist_proposals_background=52,57,61
    • content_assist_proposals_foreground=238,238,238
    • java_keyword_bold=false
    • java_keyword_return_bold=false
    • matchingBracketsColor=249,250,244
    • overriddenByCSS=,content_assist_completion_replacement_background,content_assist_completion_replacement_foreground,content_assist_parameters_background,content_assist_parameters_foreground,content_assist_proposals_background,content_assist_proposals_foreground,java_keyword_bold,java_keyword_return_bold,matchingBracketsColor,pf_coloring_argument,pf_coloring_assignment,pf_coloring_comment,pf_coloring_key,pf_coloring_value,semanticHighlighting.abstractClass.enabled,semanticHighlighting.abstractMethodInvocation.enabled,semanticHighlighting.annotation.enabled,semanticHighlighting.annotation.italic,semanticHighlighting.annotationElementReference.enabled,semanticHighlighting.class.enabled,semanticHighlighting.deprecatedMember.enabled,semanticHighlighting.deprecatedMember.underline,semanticHighlighting.deprecatedMember.strikethrough,semanticHighlighting.enum.enabled,semanticHighlighting.enum.italic,semanticHighlighting.field.enabled,semanticHighlighting.inheritedMethodInvocation.enabled,semanticHighlighting.interface.enabled,semanticHighlighting.localVariable.enabled,semanticHighlighting.localVariableDeclaration.enabled,semanticHighlighting.localVariableDeclaration.bold,semanticHighlighting.method.enabled,semanticHighlighting.methodDeclarationName.enabled,semanticHighlighting.methodDeclarationName.bold,semanticHighlighting.number.enabled,semanticHighlighting.parameterVariable.enabled,semanticHighlighting.staticField.enabled,semanticHighlighting.staticFinalField.enabled,semanticHighlighting.staticMethodInvocation.enabled,semanticHighlighting.typeArgument.enabled,semanticHighlighting.typeParameter.enabled,semanticHighlighting.typeParameter.bold,semanticHighlighting.restrictedKeywords.bold,
    • pf_coloring_argument=221,40,103
    • pf_coloring_assignment=217,232,247
    • pf_coloring_comment=128,128,128
    • pf_coloring_key=217,232,247
    • pf_coloring_value=23,198,163
    • semanticHighlighting.abstractClass.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.abstractMethodInvocation.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.annotation.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.annotation.italic=true
    • semanticHighlighting.annotationElementReference.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.class.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.deprecatedMember.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.deprecatedMember.strikethrough=true
    • semanticHighlighting.deprecatedMember.underline=false
    • semanticHighlighting.enum.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.enum.italic=true
    • semanticHighlighting.field.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.interface.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.localVariable.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.localVariableDeclaration.bold=false
    • semanticHighlighting.localVariableDeclaration.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.method.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.methodDeclarationName.bold=false
    • semanticHighlighting.methodDeclarationName.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.number.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.parameterVariable.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.restrictedKeywords.bold=false
    • semanticHighlighting.staticField.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.staticFinalField.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.staticMethodInvocation.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.typeArgument.enabled=true
    • semanticHighlighting.typeParameter.bold=false
    • semanticHighlighting.typeParameter.enabled=true

Why must DevStyle remove these options? It stifles user customization, and as such it’s frustrating. This is the reason I cannot rate DevStyle with a smiley face response.

#675419 Reply

support-swapna

Hi,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.

Can you please clarify if the entries are being removed from the file?
    Example : content_assist_completion_replacement_background=200,200,0 is no longer found in the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file post applying the Darkest Dark theme?

I ran few tests at my end on Eclipse 2021-06 + DevStyle’s Dark theme on Windows 10 and do not see any of the above entries being removed from the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file. The values are being reset though.

If the entries along with the values are being removed which is strange and not intended behavior, then please share the below details :
    1. Eclipse version and distribution details from Help > About Eclipse dialog.
    2. OS and version details. If any specific OS theme is set, then please share those details as well.
    3. When exactly are you checking the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file? Until the workspace loads completely, the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file will not be complete. Means if the workspace is still loading and you try to open the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file, only few entries will be seen.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#677351 Reply

sol-lucet-omnibus
    Participant

To answer your requests:

Can you please clarify if the entries are being removed from the file? Yes, they are being removed. Please find the latest removed lines attached in a separate file for clarity.

1. Eclipse version and distribution details from Help > About Eclipse dialog.
      • Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (includes Incubating components)
      • Version: 2021-09 (4.21.0)
      • Build id: 20210910-1417
    2. OS and version details. If any specific OS theme is set, then please share those details as well.
      • From the System Information application:

• OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
      • Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
      • Find the theme attached.
    3. When exactly are you checking the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file? Until the workspace loads completely, the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file will not be complete. Means if the workspace is still loading and you try to open the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file, only few entries will be seen.
      • I am checking:

• Immediately after I set my Java syntax options and close the dialog, confirming in my Java file they are set.
      • Immediately after closing Eclipse.
      • Immediately after the workspace loads and I see my customatizations are gone from my Java file. This and the previous item give the same results.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      #677353 Reply

sol-lucet-omnibus
      Participant

Additionally, find the “before closing” workspace archive attached, which is a copy of the workspace after setting my customizations, but before closing Eclipse. It also includes a screenshot of my test Java file showing my desired customizations.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by sol-lucet-omnibus. Reason: clarity
      Attachments:
      #677355 Reply

sol-lucet-omnibus
      Participant

Also find the “after closing / reopening” workspace archive attached, which is a copy of the workspace after setting my customizations and closing Eclipse. It includes a screenshot of my test Java file without my applied customizations.

Attachments:
      #677357 Reply

sol-lucet-omnibus
      Participant

Lastly, the theme file was not accepted, so here are the details. Thank you for looking into this.

; Copyright © Microsoft Corp.

[Theme]
      ; Windows - IDS_THEME_DISPLAYNAME_AERO
      DisplayName=current-theme
      ThemeId={52FE2582-0006-46BC-B189-457B725BE867}

; Computer - SHIDI_SERVER
      [CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
      DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-109

; UsersFiles - SHIDI_USERFILES
      [CLSID\{59031A47-3F72-44A7-89C5-5595FE6B30EE}\DefaultIcon]
      DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-123

; Network - SHIDI_MYNETWORK
      [CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\DefaultIcon]
      DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-25

; Recycle Bin - SHIDI_RECYCLERFULL SHIDI_RECYCLER
      [CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]
      Full=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-54
      Empty=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-55

[Control Panel\Cursors]
      AppStarting=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\busy_eoa.cur
      Arrow=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\arrow_eoa.cur
      Crosshair=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\cross_eoa.cur
      Hand=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\link_eoa.cur
      Help=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\helpsel_eoa.cur
      IBeam=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\ibeam_eoa.cur
      No=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\unavail_eoa.cur
      NWPen=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\pen_eoa.cur
      SizeAll=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\move_eoa.cur
      SizeNESW=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\nesw_eoa.cur
      SizeNS=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\ns_eoa.cur
      SizeNWSE=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\nwse_eoa.cur
      SizeWE=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\ew_eoa.cur
      UpArrow=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\up_eoa.cur
      Wait=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Cursors\wait_eoa.cur
      DefaultValue=Windows Inverted

[Control Panel\Desktop]
      Wallpaper=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\RoamedThemeFiles\DesktopBackground\img13.jpg
      Pattern=
      MultimonBackgrounds=0
      PicturePosition=4
      WallpaperWriteTime=132729173815060925

[VisualStyles]
      Path=%SystemRoot%\resources\themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles
      ColorStyle=NormalColor
      Size=NormalSize
      AutoColorization=0
      ColorizationColor=0XC4038387
      SystemMode=Dark
      AppMode=Dark
      VisualStyleVersion=10

[MasterThemeSelector]
      MTSM=RJSPBS

[Sounds]
      ; IDS_SCHEME_DEFAULT
      SchemeName=@mmres.dll,-800

#677410 Reply

support-swapna

Hi,

Thank you for the files. I am afraid I cannot still replicate the issue.
      I opened the before closing workspace with Eclipse 2021-09, checked if the customizations are present, then exited the IDE. Started the IDE again with the same workspace, but still see the customizations intact. I also tried tweaking the customization, for example: changing color for matching brackets. I see the change retained even after restarting the IDE and the entries are intact in the org.eclipse.jdt.ui.prefs file

Do you have any other plugins installed apart from DevStyle?

–Swapna
      Genuitec Support

#677431 Reply

sol-lucet-omnibus
      Participant

Thank you for the response. This is certainly mysterious.

I believe the only items I installed are TestNG, SonarLint, and Eclipse Groovy Development Tools. To confirm, here is the installed software per the Eclipse IDE Installation Details:

<table>
      <tr><th>Name</th><th>Version</th><th>Id</th><th>Provider</th></tr>
      <tr><td>Buildship: Eclipse Plug-ins for Gradle</td><td>3.1.5.v20210113-0929</td><td>org.eclipse.buildship.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse Buildship</td></tr>
      <tr><td>DevStyle (includes Darkest Dark Theme)</td><td>1.11.0.202105260439</td><td>com.genuitec.eclipse.theming.core.feature.feature.group</td><td>Genuitec, LLC</td></tr>
      <tr><td>EclEmma Java Code Coverage</td><td>3.1.5.202109082215</td><td>org.eclipse.eclemma.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse EclEmma</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Eclipse Groovy Development Tools</td><td>4.3.0.v202109301420-e2109-RELEASE</td><td>org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.feature.feature.group</td><td>Pivotal Software, Inc.</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Eclipse IDE for Java Developers</td><td>4.21.0.20210910-1200</td><td>epp.package.java</td><td>Eclipse Packaging Project</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Eclipse Java Development Tools</td><td>3.18.900.v20210906-0500</td><td>org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Eclipse Platform</td><td>4.21.0.v20210906-0842</td><td>org.eclipse.platform.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Eclipse RCP</td><td>4.21.0.v20210906-0842</td><td>org.eclipse.rcp.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Git integration for Eclipse</td><td>5.13.0.202109080827-r</td><td>org.eclipse.egit.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse EGit</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Groovy Compiler 3.0</td><td>4.3.0.v202109301420-e2109-RELEASE</td><td>org.codehaus.groovy30.feature.feature.group</td><td>Pivotal Software, Inc.</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Groovy-Eclipse M2E integration</td><td>4.3.0.v202109301420-e2109-RELEASE</td><td>org.codehaus.groovy.m2eclipse.feature.feature.group</td><td>Pivotal Software, Inc.</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Java implementation of Git</td><td>5.13.0.202109080827-r</td><td>org.eclipse.jgit.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse JGit</td></tr>
      <tr><td>JustJ Adoptium OpenJDK Hotspot JRE Complete</td><td>17.0.1.v20211116-1657</td><td>org.eclipse.justj.openjdk.hotspot.jre.full.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse JustJ</td></tr>
      <tr><td>m2e – Maven Integration for Eclipse (includes Incubating components)</td><td>1.18.1.20210618-2246</td><td>org.eclipse.m2e.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org – m2e</td></tr>
      <tr><td>m2e – slf4j over logback logging (Optional)</td><td>1.17.1.20210603-1006</td><td>org.eclipse.m2e.logback.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org – m2e</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Marketplace Client</td><td>1.9.1.v20210204-1408</td><td>org.eclipse.epp.mpc.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse Marketplace Client</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Mylyn WikiText Editors</td><td>3.0.38.202008172112</td><td>org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.editors_feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse Mylyn</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Oomph Setup</td><td>1.23.0.v20211116-0849</td><td>org.eclipse.oomph.setup.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse Oomph Project</td></tr>
      <tr><td>POM Editor using LemMinX language server (includes Incubating components)</td><td>1.18.1.20210621-0748</td><td>org.eclipse.m2e.lemminx.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org – m2e</td></tr>
      <tr><td>TestNG</td><td>7.4.0.202106051955</td><td>org.testng.eclipse.feature.group</td><td>Cedric Beust</td></tr>
      <tr><td>TestNG M2E (Maven) Integration (Optional)</td><td>7.4.0.202106051955</td><td>org.testng.eclipse.maven.feature.feature.group</td><td>TestNG Team</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Tip of the Day UI Feature</td><td>0.2.1500.v20210706-0706</td><td>org.eclipse.tips.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse.org</td></tr>
      <tr><td>TM Terminal</td><td>10.4.0.202106130052</td><td>org.eclipse.tm.terminal.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse CDT</td></tr>
      <tr><td>Wild Web Developer XML tools</td><td>0.12.0.202106200920</td><td>org.eclipse.wildwebdeveloper.xml.feature.feature.group</td><td>Eclipse Wild Web Developer project</td></tr>
      </table>

Again, thank you for your efforts.

#677452 Reply

support-swapna

Hi,

Thank you for the plugin details.
      As a quick check, can you please grab a fresh install of Eclipse 2021-09 with just only DevStyle installed and see if you can replicate the issue with the workspace you shared with us?

–Swapna
      Genuitec Support

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    Reply To: DevStyle removes many of my Java syntax options

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in