facebook

Eclipse 3.2 is out!

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Eclipse News
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

augustientje

Eclipse 3.2 final has finally be released! 🙂

Now when will we hear about the MyEclipse 5.0RC2 date?

#254061 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

You’ll hear about it right now!

Since we ship some of the Eclipse projects as platform elements of MyEclipse, we wanted to wait until after the Eclipse 3.2 release to ship M2 so that we could be sure we included the latest release components. The good news is that we’ve been in QA on 3.2 for the last two weeks since we knew this would happen. We’ve already upgraded our internal QA builds to “final” components so we’ll be shipping 5.0M2 sometime between July 5th and 7th, but no later. At worst, we’re a week behind the 3.2 build. However, if you just “can’t wait”, you can install 5.0M1, since it will work fine on Eclipse 3.2 final, then upgrade in a week using the update manager to M2.

#254081 Reply

augustientje

Wow, this is really good news Scott. Just a week behind the 3.2 build is actually quite fast for a QA’d RC release. if you’d ask me.

Can’t wait to start the download next week 🙂 Can you already give us a hint in what’ll be in RC2 and what won’t? I understand it might be too early to tell yet, but will there be a RC3 and RC4?

#254083 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Actually, it’s an M2 as in milestone, but we’re doing a rigorous RC pass on it because we know lots of people want to use it for development with Eclipse 3.2 immediately.

Big new features include a new WYSIWYG HTML designer for both Windows and Linux, Matisse support on Linux, ability to create custom server launch configurations, a new Server view for easily managing deployments etc, support for Glassfish and Sun 9 servers, Web Services support based on XFire, extended support for SQLServer and Sybase to the level of our custom Oracle tools, and lots of other stuff. That’s just what comes to mind quickly. You can get a peak at the server view here: http://jroller.com/page/myeclipseblog/20060615

#254086 Reply

augustientje

I love the way the new server view looks Scott. Great job there!

One of the features I’m really looking forward to is code assist for EL (both JSP ‘$’-version and the JSF ‘#’ one). I vaguely remember some mention of this particular feature in an earlier post regaring MyEclipse 5.

Will this already be in M2?

#254088 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I love the way the new server view looks Scott. Great job there!

Thanks! We pretty much use it exclusively internally now. 🙂

One of the features I’m really looking forward to is code assist for EL (both JSP ‘$’-version and the JSF ‘#’ one). I vaguely remember some mention of this particular feature in an earlier post regaring MyEclipse 5.

Oh, yes it will. Code assist for EL is “in”. That was one of the things that slipped my mind but it was a good bit of work. Hope you like it.

#254096 Reply

Robert Baty

Scott,
    I have installed Eclipse 3.2 and I plan on waiting until you release MyEclipse 5.0 M2 to install the MyEclipse stack on top of it since it sounds like you will have included all the Callisto final release components in it. One question, I installed Eclipse 3.2 in a completely separate directory structure than my Eclipse 3.1.2 installation. I am assuming I will have to do a full install of MyEclipse 5.0 M2 on my new Eclipse 3.2 installation, which is fine. However, will you be providing the same Software Update functionality from MyEclipse 5.0 M2 to MyEclipse 5.0 Final? Will there be any MyEclipse 5.0 RC releases? Thanks, and great job on the quick turnaround for Eclipse 3.2 support.
    Robert

#254097 Reply

zoran

Now that the SWT bug has been fixed on OS X will the M2 release provide full os x support?

#254098 Reply

kingbird

good news

#254100 Reply

Riyad Kalla

However, will you be providing the same Software Update functionality from MyEclipse 5.0 M2 to MyEclipse 5.0 Final? Will there be any MyEclipse 5.0 RC releases? Thanks, and great job on the quick turnaround for Eclipse 3.2 support.

Robert, as long as there are no goofy plugin-number-update issues between our Milestones and RC and then GA like there was with 4.1 RC and 4.1 GA (some of our dependencies on EMF/GEF changed but the versions were the same so update manager didn’t pick them up so ti required a full reinstall) then yes the update manager will work just fine jumping up to the releases as they come out.

Now that the SWT bug has been fixed on OS X will the M2 release provide full os x support?

Zoran,
    Unfortunately it’s not fixed-fixed. It’s only fixed for trivial applications and embedded Swing components. For more information please have a look here:
    http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t74065.html

#254133 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I just checked up on this and M2 will contain only content assist and validation for JSF EL, not JSP at this time. Sorry if I confused anyone with my prior post.

#254139 Reply

When I was running Eclipse 3.1.2 and MyEclipse 4.1, I believe it was installing the Eclipse Web Tools Project that caused the MyEclipse Design Editor to not open. I’ve read in other posts that the Eclipse WTP may have overridden files used by the design editor. Will there be any harm in installing any of the Callisto features after installing MyEclipse 5.0 M2?

#254141 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Michael,
    MyEclipse is based on WTP 1.5, so when you use the Callisto discovery site to pull down other projects, WTP, EMF and GEF will all be shown as “installed” since we ship them. Then just pull down whichever projects you wanted.

#254164 Reply

augustientje

@support-scott wrote:

I just checked up on this and M2 will contain only content assist and validation for JSF EL, not JSP at this time. Sorry if I confused anyone with my prior post.

That’s allright 🙂 JSP EL would have been the icing on the cake, but realistically many shops are moving away from old JSP/JSTL towards JSP/JSF anyway. Of course there’s still a lot of legacy JSP EL in use, so I hope that JSP EL will eventually make it into MyEclipse. Best of all would be of course if it would be in 5.0GA. Any chances for that?

#254165 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Best of all would be of course if it would be in 5.0GA. Any chances for that?

Not likely. Milestone 2 will be almost feature complete as I understand it. Designer will still have work to be done and some other enhancements, but I don’t think we would be looking at adding last-minute things to the TODO list before GA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Eclipse 3.2 is out!

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in