facebook

Error when Eclipse go Up – SWTException

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

franzvino

Hi,
    I have installe eclipse 3.3.0, MyEclipse 6.0.0, jre 6, jee 5, when eclipse start up make thousand of this error:

org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument cannot be null)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3563)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3481)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:126)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3659)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3296)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2389)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2353)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:153)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:504)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:443)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1169)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument cannot be null
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3547)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3481)
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3452)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.error(Widget.java:432)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Link.setText(Link.java:571)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressInfoItem.updateText(ProgressInfoItem.java:773)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressInfoItem.setLinkText(ProgressInfoItem.java:759)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressInfoItem.refresh(ProgressInfoItem.java:530)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressInfoItem.setDisplayed(ProgressInfoItem.java:902)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressInfoItem.setDisplayed(ProgressInfoItem.java:888)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.DetailedProgressViewer.updateVisibleItems(DetailedProgressViewer.java:503)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.DetailedProgressViewer.access$0(DetailedProgressViewer.java:497)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.DetailedProgressViewer$2.controlMoved(DetailedProgressViewer.java:99)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:210)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:938)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:962)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:943)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.WM_MOVE(Control.java:4186)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:3718)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:4351)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DefWindowProcW(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DefWindowProc(OS.java:2259)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Scrollable.callWindowProc(Scrollable.java:77)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:3760)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:4351)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.SetWindowPos(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.SetWindowPos(Widget.java:1235)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.setBounds(Control.java:2521)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.setBounds(Control.java:2503)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.setLocation(Control.java:2829)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.ScrolledComposite.setContent(ScrolledComposite.java:438)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.DetailedProgressViewer.updateForShowingProgress(DetailedProgressViewer.java:180)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.DetailedProgressViewer.remove(DetailedProgressViewer.java:424)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressViewerContentProvider.remove(ProgressViewerContentProvider.java:218)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressViewUpdater$1.runInUIThread(ProgressViewUpdater.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.ui.progress.UIJob$1.run(UIJob.java:94)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:123)
    … 22 more

Tnx a lot for your Help!!
    franz

#273312 Reply

Loyal Water

Can you download the fullstack installer and use that to setup MyEclipse to a brand new location. Does MyEclipse start without errors now ?

#275359 Reply

trekmbikes

I’m getting the same error, and so are a lot of other people. I installed the bundle pack from the MyEclipse website, and started eclipse with the -clean option. The only other plugin I have is the latest Subclipse plugin. When I disabled either the MyEclipse plugins, or the SubClipse plugin, the problem goes away. I’m not sure which side of the fence the problem lies on.

#275416 Reply

trekmbikes

I was wrong when I thought disabling Subclipse fixed the problem – it turns out this error starts only after I try to run Tomcat 6 from within MyEclipse. After Tomcat begins (and any time after that, including after you’ve stopped it), this annoying window pops up which totally prevents you from using Eclipse, and the same stack trace as above appears.

#276289 Reply

Victor Ott

This message has not been recovered.

#276356 Reply

Loyal Water

This message has not been recovered.

#276641 Reply

Victor Ott

Nipun,

I appreciate very much your support. Nevertheless, I’m not going to create a new workspace for this issue. I find it strange that everything worked fine until upgrading to E 3.3 and ME 6. And this happened not only to me, but also to my colleagues. Please note that we never share workspaces, only projects.
    Maybe your standard answer is “workspace is corrupted, create a new one”, but sorry, I did this often enough to know how tedious this is, and now I have so many projects and workspaces, that I’m not going to do this again without a clear and _simple_ path to copy most settings (Editor_s, Templates, Compiler, JDK’s, Servers, etc) from one workspace to another.

#276652 Reply

Riyad Kalla

vict0r,
    Sorry about that, you are right that if -clean doesn’t do the trick then normally a clean workspace atleast for testing a reproducible problem is a good next step.

Guys looking at the behaviors here alone:
    1. Each user has a different plugin that “causes the problem”, but disables it doesn’t get rid of the problem completely.
    2. Problem is somewhat random.
    3. Complaints started with Eclipse 3.3

seems to suggest that this is a platform issue. You guys reported TestNG plugin, Subclipse and App server connectors all as causes in this thread… I’m really thinking this might be a platform snaffu.

Out of curiosity does *Everyone* get the incredible amount of

exceptions in their log? I want to try and search against the Eclipse bug database and see if we can uncover what is going on.

#276659 Reply

Victor Ott

YES, this is the error in background while at “surface” the error messages shown in the screenshots appear.

#276661 Reply

j_smitley

I get this error as well, I have rebuild my workspace, installed the regular installer and the full stack installer, rebuild my workspaces. All to no avail. See the same stack trace in my logs at time of occurence, all the exact same symptoms as vict0r.

#276707 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thanks guys for the clarification.

I’ve been digging through the eclipse bugs and I can’t find anything definitive BUT errors like this have been reported since version 2.0 and it seems certain behaviors can trigger it (like clicking package explorer/etc.)

Could you guys go to Window > Show View > Other… and open the Error Log view, then clear it, and as you work see if you can find a reproducable set of actions (like focusing a project, autocomplete in the editor, etc.) that causes this exception to get logged?

BTW I can’t reproduce this on my end, so it’s not like I’m just trying to keep you busy, I need a way to reproduce this.

#276710 Reply

j_smitley

OK, will do…thanks for all of your diligence looking into this!

#276877 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Guys any luck tracking the creation of the error in the log as you watch it?

#276878 Reply

j_smitley

I haven’t seen it in awhile, I’ll keep looking tho…my latest rebuild 😉

#276880 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hmm… so things improved?

Out of curiosity, is everyone seeing this *after* an upgrade using the update manager?

We are trying to dig out details that might allow us to pin point what is going on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Reply To: Error when Eclipse go Up – SWTException

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in