facebook

Exception thrown whenever Eclipse starts when using Eclipse flatpak distribution

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mauromol
    Participant

I’m using the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers Flatpak distribution at: https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/org.eclipse.Java
    AFAIK, this is maintained by a Red Hat contributor and blessed by the Eclipse community, so it’s something quite official.
    I’m forced to use it because the tar.gz packages from eclipse.org of recent Eclipse versions do not work correctly any more on my old Linux Mint 18.3 system (based on Ubuntu 16.04), due to the unsupported old version of the GTK libraries.

This Flatpak distribution works very well and I don’t have any major problem whatsoever, however I get an annoying exception at Eclipse startup which seems to be triggered by Devstyle.
    This problem is described at: https://github.com/flathub/org.eclipse.Java/issues/16
    I suspect this exception it’s the cause for another annoying “cosmetic” problem: the launch progress dialog contributed by Devstyle (the one with those nice aphorisms) does not get closed once the Eclipse main window is shown, so I always have two windows open for each Eclipse instance, the main window and that progress bar, see the attached screenshot.

Maybe you have a chance to give it a try and understand what is going on?

Thanks in advance,
    Mauro

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #662213 Reply

support-swapna

Mauro,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the details and the screenshot.
    A bug is filed for the dev team to investigate it further.

As a workaround, please disable/uncheck the Use the Startup Experience from the DevStyle preferences page (Window > Preferences > DevStyle), apply the changes and restart the IDE. Please let us know if you are still seeing the exception and the launch progress window even after disabling the startup experience.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662221 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Hi Swapna,
    even if I disable the DevStyle Startup Experience, I still get that exception, but in this case the default Eclipse splash screen goes away and does not remain open:

eclipse.buildId=4.16.0.I20200604-0540
    java.version=11.0.7
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=it_IT
    Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
    Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product

org.eclipse.ui
    Error
    Thu Aug 20 19:12:28 CEST 2020
    An internal error has occurred.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/resources/IResourceChangeListener
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:1017)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.defineClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:294)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.defineClass(ClasspathManager.java:717)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:640)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:608)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:588)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:567)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.findLocalClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:346)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:398)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:477)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:171)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.startup.workspace.WorkspaceTracker$EarlyStartup$1.runSafelyInUIThread(WorkspaceTracker.java:367)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.util.SafeUIJob.runInUIThread(SafeUIJob.java:117)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.util.SafeUIJob.access$0(SafeUIJob.java:99)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.util.SafeUIJob$1.run(SafeUIJob.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:40)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4928)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:4449)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1158)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1047)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:658)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:557)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:154)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:150)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:401)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:594)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1447)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1420)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.resources.IResourceChangeListener cannot be found by com.genuitec.eclipse.startup.workspace_1.11.0.202007171537
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:516)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:171)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
    ... 43 more

#662222 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! It looks like the Eclipse Distribution you have does not contain org.eclipse.core.resources as part of it and it’s required by DevStyle. Can you double-check if the plugin is present in your Eclipse installation? To do so, search for it under Help > About ... Installation Details

#662229 Reply

mauromol
    Participant

Hi Aaron,
    it seems like that plugin is present, see the attached screenshot.
    I was wondering whether the absence of a so basic plugin wouldn’t cause many other problems to the IDE… indeed, this is the only “ClassNotFoundException” I get from the IDE, I use it all day long…
    Also, if DevStyle requires it, shouldn’t it be declared in some manifest, so that, even if it’s missing, it would get installed automatically on DevStyle installation? (please note I installed DevStyle through the update site or through the marketplace, I can’t remember exactly)

I’m really not an expert on the matter, but I was wondering whether this might be a problem of DevStyle requesting that plugin “too early” in Eclipse startup process, or something like that?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Exception thrown whenever Eclipse starts when using Eclipse flatpak distribution

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in