facebook

How to Run/Debug an item via single click?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lofi
    Participant

In MyEclipse 2017 the server’s run/debug option is now also in the run/debug list of all the other applications. Previously in MyEclipse 2014 we had an option to start the server and to start the client separately. For each of them all you had to do is to press a dedicated button and the previously started client or server were restarted.

Now that client and server are merged this isn’t possible anymore. Because the click on the “run” button would result in the server being restarted.

Is there a way to distinguish between a server / client start via menu item? Better yet would be to have a toolbar option with which you can specify what you want to start with a single click and not having to navigate through the run/debug menu.

#508501 Reply

support-swapna

Lofi,

Can you please clarify what you mean by ‘server’ and ‘client’ ? If it is the ‘server’ and ‘project’, then you can add a launch for the project by right clicking on the project > Run As. This will add a launch entry for your project to the Run button in addition to the server. Attached is the screenshot for your reference.

If this is not what you are looking for, then please elaborate your requirement and if possible, please attach screenshots to help us get a visual.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #508515 Reply

Lofi
    Participant

It seems I can’t attach a screenshot other than from an external hoster, so here’s the description:

With the Run button in your screenshot you can run all kinds of stuff: Java classes and now with ME2017 also servers. When you click the Run button, always the previous item is launched.

In our client-server-application we have to start the server on the one hand and the client application as Java class on the other. With ME2014 we started the server with the dedicated button for the server and the client using the Run button of your screenshot.

Now that in ME2017 the server configuration is added to the list of Run items, you can start both the server and the client there. So you always have to select a specific item (server or java class) now from the dropdown list instead of simply clicking the run button in order to only start the previously started Java class.

That selection is annoying and a waste of time. It would be super helpful if you could provide a means to position certain run configurations as buttons on a toolbar.

Anyway, I think I found a solution: In the Run/Debug preferences you can filter out categories that shouldn’t show up in the Run configuration. I selected “MyEclipse Server” and now it all works as before.

Still, having selected Run configurations on a toolbar would be great 🙂

#508615 Reply

support-swapna

Lofi,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have forwarded your requirement to the dev team to check if we can work on having selected Run configurations on a toolbar.Thank you for posting the workaround.

Sorry for inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you see any issues.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#508666 Reply

Lofi
    Participant

That would be great! Thank you very much for your efforts 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: How to Run/Debug an item via single click?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in