facebook

Incredibly slow debugger on Ubuntu 16.04

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

keaneleeds
    Participant

For my setup, the debugger is nearly unusable. Stepping through programs is very slow, with five to twenty seconds elapsing between clicking the Step Into button and the code loading. Variables in the Variables view can take 30 each to load, which becomes a show stopping problem for any large object. This was not a problem when I was using CentOS 6 and MyEclipseForSpring.

I am currently using MyEclipse 2017 on Ubuntu 16.04 in a VirtualBox guest running on a Windows 7 host. I have set the system variable SWT_GTK3=0, and have tried setting MyEclipse to use –launcher.GTK_version 2.

Where would I look for a solution to this problem? Thank you for your help.

#512197 Reply

support-swapna

Keaneleeds,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.

1. Can you please clarify if you have added the following 2 lines to your myeclipse.ini file, before the “-vm” line ?:

--launcher.GTK_version

Alternatively, you can also run ‘export SWT_GTK3=0’ in a terminal before invoking MyEclipse from the same terminal.

2. Can you please try increasing the -Xmx value in the myeclipse.ini to a higher value and see if it helps?

Please let us know how it works for you.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#512213 Reply

keaneleeds
    Participant

I have SWT_GTK3=0 set in .bashrc.
    I have set

--launcher.GTK_version

in myeclipse.ini before the -vm line.
    I have -Xmx4096 set in myeclipse.ini, and I have tried other values.
    I have -Xmx4096 set on the external tomcat8.5 server that I launch from MyEclipse.

This hasn’t resulted in any difference that I could observe.

#512289 Reply

support-swapna

Keane,

Sorry that the issue persists. We tried to replicate the issue with debugger at our end on Ubuntu 16 in a VM but we do not see the kind of delay reported by you.

Can you please share with us more details about what exactly are you debugging? Is it a local or remote application?

Please also share with us the MyEclipse Version and Build Id from Help > About MyEclipse section for further investigation.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#512359 Reply

keaneleeds
    Participant

Swapna,

Oracle VirtualBox 5.1.14r112924
    Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 (host)
    Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS xenial, with 4.4.0-62-generic linux kernel (guest)
    MyEclipse Enterprise version 2017 CI 1 Build id: 15.0.0-20161215 (running on the provided jdk com.sun.java.jdk8.linux.x86_64_1.8.0.v112/bin/java)
    Apache Tomcat 8.5.8 (running on IBM SDK for Linux Java version 7 release 1)

I am debugging a web application locally.

#512561 Reply

support-swapna

Keane,

Thank you for the details. We are still unable to replicate the issue at our end with your setup.

Can you please also clarify if the debug issue persists in a new workspace with your web application?
    Please check if you have conditional breakpoints with expensive conditions. Please also check if you have expressions added to the expressions panel that are no longer needed. If yes, then clear them out when not required.

To rule out issues with your web application, can you please check if the issue persists with one of our projects from the Examples on Demand? Open MyEclipse Dashboard and switch to Examples tab. You can install one of the projects to your workspace, migrate it when it prompts to and debug.

The projects accessing database, (example JSF Blog Application which we used to test at our end ), require the MyEclipse Derby server to be started. You can start the Derby server from the Servers view. There is also a simple web project, ‘Hello World’ Web Application which you can try.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.Please let us know how it works for you.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Incredibly slow debugger on Ubuntu 16.04

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in