facebook

Invisible Treeview Components

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

mglaris
    Participant

Howdy,

With the most recent version of Eclipse that was installed yesterday (2020-06-24), tree list components (not sure of the proper term, examples are Package Explorer, or the Eclipse Preferences dialog) are blending into the background, making them difficult to use and to see. I am using the Deep Black workbench theme and a custom editor theme. The attached screen shot of the Eclipse Preferences dialog illustrates the problem: the selected configuration dialog, DevStyle=>ColorThemes, is almost unreadable. Even more annoying is the invisibility of the arrow indicators that appear to the left of expandable menu items. In reality, that icon, or character, is present, but it has color of black, on a black background, so it becomes invisible. When I hover the mouse over the space between the dialog name and the left edge of the window, the icon becomes visible when the color changes to a bright teal.

I need to know where I can change the Background/Forground colors for the menu text as well as for the arrow indicators.

If I change the theme something lighter (Darkest Dark, for instance), I can barely see the arrow indicators on the menu against the dark gray background.

By preference, I’d like do this through a dialog, but I can certainly edit the CSS if necessary, assuming someone can tell me the CSS component that needs to be modified.

Thanks,
    Mike Laris
    mglaris@gmail.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #660338 Reply

support-swapna

Mike,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. Thank you for the details and the screenshot.
    We tested the Deep Black on Eclipse 2020-06 R package and the Treeview components are looking good. Attached is the screenshot for your reference.

1. Can you please share the exact Eclipse Version and Build ID from Help > About Eclipse dialog? Also share your OS and version details.
    2. Do you see the same problem with Eclipse Dark theme as well? Select ‘Dark’ from the General > Appearance page instead of DevStyle theme and restart the IDE.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Attachments:
    #660340 Reply

mglaris
    Participant

Swapna,

I am using Eclipse Version : 4.16.0.v20200604-0951
    Eclipse Build ID: 20200615-1200

I am running on Windows 10 using Java JDK 1.8.161

The version of DevStyle is : DevStyle with CodeTogether Bundle 1.11.0.202005041925

Switching to Eclipse Dark, I see the arrows indicators. The selected menu items are still hard to read, s they are black on dark grey. I have attached another screen shot of the same section of the Preference dialog for comparison.

Thanks,

Mike Laris
    mglaris@gmail.com

#660352 Reply

support-swapna

Mike,

Thank you for the details. I am afraid the screenshot is missing from your response. Please reattach it.

1. Can you please also let us know if you are on Windows Classic theme at OS level? If yes, then please try switching to a different theme and see if the issue persists.
    2. Any other third party plugins installed? Also share with us the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log (change the extension to .txt and attach it here)

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#660360 Reply

mglaris
    Participant

Swapna,

Good Morning.

I have been using the Windows classic theme, but changed to the Dark theme last night. That change did not affect the issue.

I have attached the Eclipse log and the screen shot of the Preferences dialog using the Eclipse Dark theme.

I have also attached Zip file containing detailed configuration information about Eclipse and the Environment.

Thanks,

Mike Laris
    mglaris@gmail.com

Attachments:
    #660364 Reply

support-swapna

Mike,

Thank you for the details. We are testing with the same Eclipse build as yours on Windows 10, but do not see the odd UI issues with the Tree view components.

1. Can you please switch to a new workspace and check if the issue persists with DevStyle Dark theme?
    2. How did you install Eclipse 2020-06? Is it using the installer file or the .zip package download? If you have an installer based Eclipse, then if possible, please check if the issue persists in a package based installation.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#660368 Reply

mglaris
    Participant

Swapna,

I Created a new workspace and saw the same issues. The Selected item in a tree list, such as the preference dialog, is invisible with DeepBlack and barely visible with DarkestDark. I have attached screen shots of the same section of the Preferences dialog using both themes.

My version of Eclipse was Updated automatically by Eclipse a couple of days ago. I problem began immediately after the update completed.

Mike Laris
    214-205-8608

Attachments:
    #660420 Reply

support-swapna

Mike,

We tested couple of Eclipse 2020-06 packages, but could not replicate the issues you are seeing.
    At this point, we can only suggest you to try a clean new install of Eclipse 2020-06 R package.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#660432 Reply

mglaris
    Participant

Swapna,

Ok. I installed a fresh Version of Eclipse:

Version: 2020-06 (4.16.0)
    Build id: 20200615-1200

I Created a new project, Installed DevStyle from the Eclipse Marketplace (Version 1.11.0.202005041925).

I see the same issue. See attached Screen Shot.

Thanks
    Mike

Attachments:
    #660492 Reply

support-swapna

Mike,

Sorry that the issues persist.

One final check is to see if Oomph preferences are loading the incorrect settings.

Can you please go to Window > Preferences > Oomph > Setup Tasks > Preference Recorder and see if the Record into is checked? In case it is checked, then please uncheck it and shut down Eclipse.
    Go to [user_home]/.eclipse and move / delete the folders named *oomph* – this will make the (bad) saved preferences inaccessible. Restart Eclipse, switch to a new workspace and check if this helps clear out the odd UI settings.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#660634 Reply

markusk
    Participant

Hello Swapna,

I do have the same issue working with a similar Constellation. The latest Eclipse latest Dev Style but on a Windows 7.
    Eclipse: 4.16.0.20200615-1200
    DevStyle: 1.11.0.202005041925

The Text Color in the Tree is nearly the same as the Highlighted Background. This is independent to the choosen Editor Theme (e.g.Darkest Dark or Eclipse Standard).
    For me it looks like shown in the Attachment.

KR
    Markus

Attachments:
    #660667 Reply

support-swapna

markusk,

Sorry that you are seeing the odd UI issues in Dark theme. Thank you for the screenshot.
    We haven’t been able to replicate the reported UI issues with Dark theme at our end on Windows yet.

Can you please give us some more details?

1. Are you on Windows Classic theme? If yes, then can you check if switching to a different theme helps?
    2. How about a new workspace? Is the UI any better there?
    3. Can you please go to Window > Preferences > Oomph > Setup Tasks > Preference Recorder and see if the Record into is checked? In case it is checked, then please uncheck it and shut down Eclipse. Go to [user_home]/.eclipse and move / delete the folders named *oomph* – this will make the (bad) saved preferences inaccessible. Restart Eclipse, switch to a new workspace and check if this helps clear out the odd UI settings.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#660886 Reply

Aaron Lara

Mike, We have been working on several fixes for DevStyle compatibility with Eclipse 2020-06. However, we have not been able to replicate the sort of issues you are experiencing with Dark themes. It would be really helpful if you can give a try to a patch for DevStyle and see if it makes the experience better for you. See instructions in the following thread: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/devstyle-eclipse-2020-06/#post-660884

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#661013 Reply

mglaris
    Participant

Aaron,

Sadly, this patch made no difference, although I had high hopes when reading the fixes.

Thanks,

Mike Laris
    mglaris@gmail.com

#661014 Reply

Aaron Lara

Mike, sorry to hear the fix didn’t work for you. Is there any chance you are using a High Contrast or a Windows classic theme in your system-level configuration? (`Win > Themes and related setting ) It’s possible that Windows is relaying bad colors to Eclipse thinking it’s a “light” application.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Invisible Treeview Components

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in