facebook

JavaDocs blank in latest version of DevStyle Theme

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Scott_Hargreaves
    Participant

There are several different items that are not displayed at all (Blank Boxes). This includes hover-help, JavaDocs tab, Welcome Page, Tip of the Day…seems to be widespread. I thought it was my initial dev environment but I created a new one (fresh install of Ubuntu/Eclipse) and the problem persists. Current setup:
    – Ubuntu 22.04
    – Eclipse 2022-03 (4.23.0)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #680925 Reply

support-swapna

Scott,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue with Darkest Dark theme. Thank you for the details and the screenshots.
    I ran a quick check on Ubuntu 22.04 and Eclipse 2022-03 but could not replicate the reported issues. We will continue to test this further.

Can you please check how it works in Eclipse Dark theme? Go to Window > Preferences > General > Appearance, select ‘Dark’ instead of DevStyle Theme.
    Do you have any particular OS theme set?

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#680933 Reply

Scott_Hargreaves
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response.

Tried a couple more things:
    – Switched to “Dark” instead of DevStyle…problem is still there, blank welcome screen etc.
    – Uninstalled DevStyle…problem is gone, windows appear normal

Thx

#680941 Reply

support-swapna

Scott,

Do you see the issue in a fresh new workspace as well?
    Also please share the current Ubuntu theme details. If you change the theme to say, Adwaita, does it help?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#680945 Reply

Scott_Hargreaves
    Participant

– Problem persists with new workspace
    – Problem persists different Ubuntu Themes.

I have output from eclipse starting in “Verbose” mode. Looks like exceptions are being thrown on startup only when DevStyle installed. Multiple “java.lang.Error: SWT Resource was not properly disposed” errors logged.

Full output attached for with/without DevStyle installed. Same workspace is being opened for both runs.

Thx.

Attachments:
    #680962 Reply

lykkos
    Participant

I also have the same problem, also it doesn’t show when I click on Show in JavaDoc view, before set up the plugin, the javadoc box was working. (in debian buster)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by lykkos.
    Attachments:
    #680968 Reply

lykkos
    Participant

now my javadoc works, but I had to reinstall the ide and download a src.zip folder (sudo apt install openjdk-11-source) and reinstall the darkest dark plugin without the codetogether bundle, everything is fine now, I answer this in case someone encounters the same problem, maybe this works for them

#682001 Reply

ordiel
    Participant

Same problem here, for now I have to stop using Darkest Dark due to this (it gets fixed when removed). Is there any update on it?

#682031 Reply

support-swapna

I ran fresh tests on Ubuntu 22.04 but could not replicate the problem. We are actively investigating this issue.

@lykkos
    and @ordiel : Can you please share the IDE and OS version details and the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log (rename it to .txt and attach it here)

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#694417 Reply

olaf123
    Participant

There seems to be an issue with Wayland, the default window-manager in Ubuntu 22.04. By disabling it and switching back to X11 the issue is gone and the HTML-rendering Eclipse-Components are working with the DevStyle-Themes again as expected.

Regarding the bug:
    As @scott_hargreaves already pointed out, not only the JavaDoc-PopUp is affected. All HTML-rendering components (the whole JavaDoc-View, Help- and Welcome-Pages, the internal webbrowser, …) do not work as expected: The displayed content is rendered – you can select + copy/paste it – but the background-layer (in the selected theme-color) makes the content invisible by being rendered in front of the content.

#694886 Reply

vchernyshev
    Participant

I face the same problem on Ubuntu 22.10 under Wayland. As @olaf123 mentioned every single HTML component is broken. Steps to reproduce:

* Install Ubuntu 22.10.
    * Install epiphany-browser to pull in the WebKit GTK libraries that Eclipse needs.
    * Download and run Eclipse Installer 2022-12 R. I used JDK 19 and installed the standard Java edition of the IDE. At this point everything worked as expected, there are no issues with the JavaDoc popups.
    * Install the DevStyle theme plugin.

The only workaround that I could find other than rolling back to X11 was to export WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 before running Eclipse.

#694892 Reply

support-swapna

@vchernyshev,

Thank you for sharing the reproduction steps and the workaround details.
    I could replicate the problem on Ubuntu 22.10 at my end and I have filed a bug report for the dev team to look into it.
    We will keep you posted when the fix is out.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#696683 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

@vchernyshev, as Swapna says, thanks for the details.

We’ve been trying hard to track down a proper fix for this but from what we’re seeing, it is a combination of interactions. In short, when Java AWT is initialized, it breaks further uses of the SWT Browser. Since DevStyle requires AWT for key functionality not available in SWT, a full solution involves interactions inside Webkit that we’re not familiar with. That said, we are including detection of Wayland and providing automation to help set the environment variable WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE.

To reproduce the root issue in SWT, here is a simple bit of code that exhibits the problem. If you comment out the java.awt.Color line, the Browser renders Hello fine.

public class MyMainClass {
        public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
            // Create a display
            Display display = new Display();
            // Create a shell window
            Shell shell = new Shell(display);
            shell.setBounds(50, 50, 500, 500);
            shell.setLayout(new FillLayout());
            // Trigger AWT to be initialized - breaks the usage of the Browser
            new java.awt.Color(0,0,0,0);
            // Add a browser to the shell
            Browser b = new Browser(shell, SWT.NONE);
            b.setText("<html><body><h1>Hello</h1></body></html>");
            b.setLayoutData(new GridData(SWT.FILL, SWT.FILL, true, true));
            // Open the shell window
            shell.open();
            // Start the event loop
            while (!shell.isDisposed()) {
                if (!display.readAndDispatch()) {
                    display.sleep();
                }
            }
        }
    }
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by timwebb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: JavaDocs blank in latest version of DevStyle Theme

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in