facebook

JSF Quickstart: JSF tool groups isn’t showing in the palette

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Documentation
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

fahmidj

I was trying to developing JSF Quickstart.
    while i opened userLogin.jsp by MyEclipse Visual JSP Designer there were only “HTML-Basic” and “HTML-Form” on the palette. So i couldn’t go according to the quickStart. in the quick start there were “JSF-Form”, “JSF-Basic”, “Struts-Basic” and “Struts-Form”. So, how can i add them in my current eclipse palette.

Can anyone please help me????

#269375 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Did you make sure to add JSF Capabilities to your web project as outlined in the tutorial? And are the jsf libraries in your project’s build path?

#269407 Reply

fahmidj

ya, i did exactly as the quick start in the tutorial.

#269414 Reply

Loyal Water

You can try restarting MyEclipse using the -clean command to clean your workspace and fix any plugin issue that might exist. Incase that doesn’t help, I suggest you do a fresh install of MyEclipse and import your old worksapce.
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-10272.html

#270413 Reply

Diederik

I have the same issue.
    I’m running MyEclipse 5.5, using jdk1.5.0_09.
    The shortcut I use to start MyEclipse is:
    “C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.5\eclipse\eclipse.exe” -vm “C:\Program Files\MyEclipse 5.5\jre\bin\javaw.exe” -vmargs -Xms256M -Xmx768M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

I had to do it all by hand, since none of the Wizards showed up.
    I first had the J2EE 1.4 library added to the buildpath, so I changed that to J2EE 1.5 library, but that didn’t help either.
    When I tried to set it back to the 1.4 library I got an error and it told me to look in the error log.
    Where can I find that?

I restarted MyEclipse with the -clean option, but that didn’t help either. So now I am unable to add a J2EE library.

I also noticed that I only have a Design and a Preview tab with the editor, so no Design or Design/Source tabs as shown in the tutorial. I have also tried opening it with another Editor (Open With …) but no matter what I did, I didn’t see the other tabs.

The project also gives me 3 warnings, all 3 saying it can’t resolve ‘bundle’, but I did it exactly as said in the tutorial.
    When I restarted with the -clean option, those warnings disappeared, but as soon as I ‘changed’ the last e of ‘bundle’ to e and saved the page, those 3 warnings came back up.
    In the page it displayed the text from the MessageBundle though, so that seemed to work.

And finally when I tried to run it, it didn’t function as it should be and therefor I never got to the userLoginSuccess.jsp/.faces page.
    The console gave these msgs:
    May 21, 2007 1:29:43 AM com.sun.faces.renderkit.html_basic.HtmlBasicRenderer getForComponent
    WARNING: Unable to find component with ID ‘userName’ in view.
    May 21, 2007 1:29:43 AM com.sun.faces.renderkit.html_basic.HtmlBasicRenderer getForComponent
    WARNING: Unable to find component with ID ‘password’ in view.

I double checked whether I used the correct casing and it is correct.
    The faces-config.xml is exactly the same as shown in the pic in the tutorial.

I had also set a breakpoint in the UserBean.java file in the loginUser function, but it never got into break mode. In other projects I’ve made with MyEclipse it worked every time.

This is the contents of the body from the userLogin.jsp page:

<body>
        <f:view>
            <f:loadBundle basename="nl.cknow.jsf.jsftest.MessageBundle" var="bundle"/>
                <h:form id="loginForm" rendered="true">
                    <h:outputLabel for="userName" rendered="true">
                        <h:outputText value="#{bundle.user_name_label}"></h:outputText>
                    </h:outputLabel>
                    <h:inputText required="true" value="#{UserBean.userName}" id="userName" rendered="true"></h:inputText><br />
                    <h:outputLabel for="password" rendered="true">
                        <h:outputText value="#{bundle.user_password_label}"></h:outputText>
                    </h:outputLabel>
                    <h:inputSecret id="password" value="#{UserBean.password}" required="true" rendered="true"></h:inputSecret><br />
                    <h:commandButton value="#{bundle.login_button_label}" action="{#UserBean.loginUser}" type="submit"></h:commandButton>
                </h:form>

</f:view>
    </body>

#270418 Reply

Riyad Kalla

When I tried to set it back to the 1.4 library I got an error and it told me to look in the error log.
    Where can I find that?

(<workspace dir>\.metadata\.log)

I also noticed that I only have a Design and a Preview tab with the editor, so no Design or Design/Source tabs as shown in the tutorial.

They need to get updated, now the “Design” view is a split view, notice the bar in the middle. It encompases the Source/Split and Design tabs all into 1 tab now.

Also, have you tried downloading the attached project to the faces tutorial and importing it and deploying it and seeing it it works without a hitch?

#270429 Reply

Diederik

@support-rkalla wrote:

(<workspace dir>\.metadata\.log)

Thanks.
    This is the error I’m getting:
    !SESSION 2007-05-21 12:36:12.859 ———————————————–
    eclipse.buildId=M20070212-1330
    java.version=1.5.0_11
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 4 2 2007-05-21 12:36:47.015
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.jface”.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.librarymgmt.ModuleManager.getRequiredModules(ModuleManager.java:93)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.librarymgmt.MELibraryWizardPage.selectDependentLibrariesIfNeeded(MELibraryWizardPage.java:207)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.librarymgmt.MELibraryWizardPage.doDialogFieldChanged(MELibraryWizardPage.java:145)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.librarymgmt.MELibraryWizardPage.access$0(MELibraryWizardPage.java:140)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.librarymgmt.MELibraryWizardPage$LibraryListAdapter.dialogFieldChanged(MELibraryWizardPage.java:385)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.portability.wizard.DialogField.dialogFieldChanged(DialogField.java:75)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.portability.wizard.ListDialogField.dialogFieldChanged(ListDialogField.java:484)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.portability.wizard.CheckedListDialogField.checkStateChanged(CheckedListDialogField.java:122)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.portability.wizard.CheckedListDialogField.doCheckStateChanged(CheckedListDialogField.java:239)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.portability.wizard.CheckedListDialogField.access$0(CheckedListDialogField.java:233)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.portability.wizard.CheckedListDialogField$1.checkStateChanged(CheckedListDialogField.java:88)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.CheckboxTableViewer$1.run(CheckboxTableViewer.java:177)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:843)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:44)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.CheckboxTableViewer.fireCheckStateChanged(CheckboxTableViewer.java:175)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.CheckboxTableViewer.handleSelect(CheckboxTableViewer.java:265)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$4.widgetSelected(StructuredViewer.java:1154)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireSelectionEvent(OpenStrategy.java:213)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$3(OpenStrategy.java:207)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:374)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.buildpaths.ClasspathContainerWizard.openWizard(ClasspathContainerWizard.java:230)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.wizards.BuildPathDialogAccess.chooseContainerEntries(BuildPathDialogAccess.java:272)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.buildpaths.LibrariesWorkbookPage.openContainerSelectionDialog(LibrariesWorkbookPage.java:811)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.buildpaths.LibrariesWorkbookPage.libaryPageCustomButtonPressed(LibrariesWorkbookPage.java:243)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.buildpaths.LibrariesWorkbookPage.access$0(LibrariesWorkbookPage.java:230)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.buildpaths.LibrariesWorkbookPage$LibrariesAdapter.customButtonPressed(LibrariesWorkbookPage.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.dialogfields.TreeListDialogField.buttonPressed(TreeListDialogField.java:167)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.dialogfields.TreeListDialogField.doButtonSelected(TreeListDialogField.java:385)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.dialogfields.TreeListDialogField.access$2(TreeListDialogField.java:381)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.wizards.dialogfields.TreeListDialogField$2.widgetSelected(TreeListDialogField.java:346)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
    at org.eclipse.ui.dialogs.PropertyDialogAction.run(PropertyDialogAction.java:156)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:499)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:539)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:488)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:400)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1930)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1894)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:422)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

They need to get updated, now the “Design” view is a split view, notice the bar in the middle. It encompases the Source/Split and Design tabs all into 1 tab now.

Yep, I’ve seen it. Only reason for reporting was inconsistency between my MyEclipse version and the tutorial.

Also, have you tried downloading the attached project to the faces tutorial and importing it and deploying it and seeing it it works without a hitch?

Not yet, but will do. I’m also going to create a new project and import the files there.

#270433 Reply

Diederik

I’ve now created a new project and everything seems to work fine.
    The web-project icon now also includes a ‘F’ in it and I’m also seeing the JSF-Basic and JSF-Form Palettes 🙂
    The jar files are now also grouped in a Library.

The other project was created in MyEclipse 5.0 (or 5.1), so before I upgraded to 5.5.

#270436 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hmm… I wonder what happened with the old project. Either way I’m glad it’s working now.

#270444 Reply

Diederik

@Diederik wrote:

I’ve now created a new project and everything seems to work fine.
    The web-project icon now also includes a ‘F’ in it and I’m also seeing the JSF-Basic and JSF-Form Palettes 🙂
    The jar files are now also grouped in a Library.

It looked good … at first sight.
    The project automatically created an ‘index.jsp’ page and when opened in the editor it showed the JSF-Basic and JSF-Form palettes.
    But then I started with the tutorial again and at some point I created the userLogin.jsp file using the JSF-Template and when I opened that in the editor it showed and ‘F’ in the tab and I didn’t see the JSF-Basic or JSF-Form palettes, but I did see a whole bunch of other palettes, including JSF-HTML and JSF-Core.

Did some more testing and as it turns out it has to do with the type of editor you open the page with.
    – When creating a page with the JSF-Template the editor defaults to the Visual JSF Designer
    – When creating a page with the JSP-Template the editor defaults to the Visual JSP Designer

The Visual JSF Designer palletes don’t include the JSF-Basic and JSF-Form, but it does have the JSF-HTML and JSF-Core palettes.
    And with the Visual JSP Designer, you get the JSF-Basic and JSF-Form palettes, but not the JSF-HTML or JSF-Core palettes.

So if I open the page which was created with the JSF-Template, but I open it with the Visual JSP Designer, I do see the palettes as mentioned in the tutorial.

Is there a way that I can add the JSF-HTML and JSF-Core palettes to the Visual JSF Designer?
    I’ve looked in the Preferences, but couldn’t find it.

#270473 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I created the userLogin.jsp file using the JSF-Template and when I opened that in the editor it showed and ‘F’ in the tab and I didn’t see the JSF-Basic or JSF-Form palettes, but I did see a whole bunch of other palettes, including JSF-HTML and JSF-Core.

Sorry for the surprise behavior. That is the new JSF Visual Designer. The layout is a bit different, and all the taglibs are loaded off of your build path.

– When creating a page with the JSF-Template the editor defaults to the Visual JSF Designer
    – When creating a page with the JSP-Template the editor defaults to the Visual JSP Designer

Yes, this is correct.

The Visual JSF Designer palletes don’t include the JSF-Basic and JSF-Form, but it does have the JSF-HTML and JSF-Core palettes.

These are one and the same, just the two designers have different labellings for them. Again, sorry for the confusion. It’s a new feature that we need to pound on and make it a smoother experience going forward.

Is there a way that I can add the JSF-HTML and JSF-Core palettes to the Visual JSF Designer?
    I’ve looked in the Preferences, but couldn’t find it.

The good news is that even though the palettes have different names, all the same *components* are available in each designer. Just laid out and displayed differently. Because of the dynamic nature of the new visual designer, it’s reading off the taglib information from the build path, so it doesn’t call it “JSF-Core” for example, but specifically the JSF HTML tags.

#313893 Reply

jahirh

I have installed Myecplise Enterprise Workbench 8.6.1 and while trying to follow the jsf quick start tutorial , I’m unbale to locate the palette for adding jsf components. Could you please help?

#314211 Reply

support-swapna

jahirh,

Attached is the screenshot which highlights the icon to show/hide the palette in the design view.

Let us know how it works for you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: JSF Quickstart: JSF tool groups isn’t showing in the palette

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in