facebook

MyEclipse Explorer view navigation extremly slow – MyEclipse 2017 C3

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Sudda
    Participant

I’ve just updated MyEclipse to Version: 2017 CI 3.
    On the MyEclipse “Explorer view” I have configured: Folder Presentation –> Grouped, Package Presentation –> Hierarchical.

I have 3 large projects in the workbench. When I click any node on package tree, it take more than 30 secs to expand tree. However after expanding, the collapsing is instant and also opening same node again has no issues. Also the long delay is not present when opening a package tree that has only XML files, text files etc. The issue is only with java class packages.

Note:- Opening package tree in “Navigation View” has no issues.

The issue seems to be with JDK version I’m using. Configured in Windows–> Preferences.
    When I use the default JDK coming with MyEclipse 2017, there is no slowness. As soon as I change to JDK 1.7.0_80 from Oracle(which I need to use), I get the slowness.

What is the reason for long delay. Is there an bug in the “Explorer View”. It is not possible to use MyEclipse 2017 with such a slow response time navigating to java class you want to work on.

Note:- I have used MyEclipse 2013, 2015 and 2016 with same projects/JDK and no issues on Explore View.

If you have tested MyEclipse 2017 with any other JDK 1.7.x version let me know and I can use it.

#516296 Reply

Sudda
    Participant

I apologize for incorrect conclusion in previous post. The issue is NOT with different JDK version. I had ME 2016 workbench also open and must have tested on ME 2016 workbench after JDK change on ME 2017.

Anyway bottom line is MyEclipse Explore slowness is not because of JDK version used.

#516376 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Sudda,

I’m afraid MyEclipse 2017 is not compatible with JDK 7. You must run MyEclipse with the JDK that comes with MyEclipse, or another JDK that is at level 8 or above. This is a requirement for the underlying eclipse implementation, on which MyEclipse is based. You will likely have other problems if you continue to use JDK7 to run MyEclipse.

Note that you can still use other JDKs for your projects in MyEclipse, by defining other JREs (go to Window->Preferences-Java->Installed JREs to see your JREs and to add others). You can specify a default JRE for projects and use a different defined JRE for specific projects if you wish.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

#516425 Reply

Sudda
    Participant

I’m using JDK7 for my projects. I thought this might be the reason for slowness.

However MyEclipse itself is running on JDK8 as shown by myeclipse.ini config file I’m using below:

-startup
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.200.v20160318-1642.jar
    --launcher.library
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.400.v20160518-1444
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    -vm
    binary/com.sun.java.jdk8.win32.x86_64_1.8.0.v112/bin/javaw.exe
    -install
    C:\InstallSource\Genuitec\MyEclipse 2017 CI
    -vmargs
    -Xms512m
    -Xmx2048m
    -XX:+UseStringDeduplication
    -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
    -Dosgi.nls.warnings=ignore
    -javaagent:C:\InstallSource\Genuitec\MyEclipse 2017 CI\plugins\com.zeroturnaround.eclipse.optimizer.plugin_1.0.11/agent/eclipse-optimizer-agent.jar
    -server
    -XX:PermSize=256m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
    -XX:+UseParallelGC
    -Xverify:none
    #516431 Reply

Sudda
    Participant

Apart from info in previous post about using JDK8 please note following:

1) ME 2017 IDE startup time is OK ==> No issues.
    2) Navigating between different Perspectives ==> No issues
    3) Creating projects/classes/Deploying apps ==> No issues
    4) Navigation View –> Expanding class package tree ==> No issues
    5) Explorer View –> Expanding class package tree ==> Unusually slow (25 secs to 45 secs)

So issue is specific to Explorer view. Note my projects are large with many java classes and sub packages. However no issues in ME 2016.

What would cause this slowness in ME 2017 ?

#516640 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Sudda,

Thank you for the detailed analysis so far – we would really like to get to the bottom of this slowness as well. In 2017, there are several new content providers that contribute to the MyEclipse Explorer view, which would account for possible performance differences wrt. 2016.

I have a few steps for you to try – these should help us figure out what is going wrong:

1) Can you try the Package Explorer view – does it exhibit the same delays?

2) If the Package Explorer view did not exhibit the delays, can you try the Project Explorer view?

3) In the MyEclipse Explorer view, from the view menu, choose the Customize View action item. In the resulting dialog, please switch to the Content tab. These are content providers that contribute to what is being displayed in the view – a buggy/inefficient provider could result in the slowness you experienced. My suggestion would be remove a number of them at a time and see if the slowness goes away. Once you find that there are no speed issues, you could re-enable the providers one at a time, to see which one causes the issues. Of course, you need to be trying with packages that will exhibit the speed problem (you mentioned that once a package is expanded, even if it took a large amount of time the first time, subsequent expansions would not be delayed)

4) As an alternative to #3, if you could get 3-4 thread dumps during the period during which the package is not expanded, that would help us figure out what process is running. To take a thread dump, you will need to run
    jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the MyEclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of slowness, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.

Apologies once again for the inconvenience caused, I hope we’re able to get to the bottom of this.

#528575 Reply

Sudda
    Participant

I have now updated to latest MyEclipse 2017 CI 6. Sorry for the delayed response, however surprisingly the issue is still present in latest 2017 CI 6 release also.

Answers to questions asked by Brian in previous post.

1) Package Explorer view – Super fast. NO issues.

2) Project Explorer view – Very slow when expanding project in hierarchical view.

3) MyEclipse Explorer view – Same slowness. Please see attached image. I trimmed Customized View as shown until only “Java Elements” remained. This “java elements” content provider is causing slowness.

4) MyEclipse thread dumps. Please see attached. (Before the slowness dumps)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Sudda.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Sudda.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #528578 Reply

Sudda
    Participant

4) The dump files are too large to attach here, even after compression. Please let me know how to upload.

#537326 Reply

Markus Becker
    Participant

Same Problem.

MyEclipse CI8 2017 slowing down my webapp project (>2000 classes). Setting a breakpoint take in debug mode about 3-5 seconds. IDE runs with java8 (144) and tomcat 8.5

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Markus Becker.
    #537355 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Markus,

We had made some general improvements in this area, but sorry to see you’re still experiencing the slow-down with CI 8.

1) Like I asked Sudda earlier – are you experiencing the slow-down only in the MyEclipse Explorer, and is your Package Explorer view fast?

2) When setting a breakpoint, which server are you deploying to? Is there any speed difference if the project is not actively deployed and / or the server is not running?

#537514 Reply

Markus Becker
    Participant

Brian,

1. Package view is fast, maybe the menu is a very bit slower than my MyEclipse 2016 CI Version, but it work well.

2. I deployed it on a external 8.5.20 tomcat and even tested it with the intern MyEclipse 8.5 Tomcat Server. After the server started, any set or reset of a breakpoint take seconds. It seems no memory Problem, since I gave the IDE about 2GB memory. Toogle a breakpoint with a wildfly 10 work during 1 seconds, but maybe even a very bit slower than before.

Edit: One very big different is also that the wildfly you can instandy stop (red button) But with the tomcat connector it take 6-8 seconds while the IDE fully froze.

#537536 Reply

Markus Becker
    Participant

I did also start the migrated 2017 workspace with MyEclipse 2016 CI. The Tomcat 7 connector work without any problems, and I did not change any setting here.

And if it makes any difference on the used workspace. I did in the past use the MyEclipse 2016 tomcat 8 connector on Tomcat 8.5 (did change the version in the catalina.jar), however I did use a full new installation of tomcat 8.5 for MyEclipse 2017.

#537538 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Markus,

After the server started, any set or reset of a breakpoint take seconds.

To be sure, you’re saying if the server is not started, placing the breakpoint doesn’t take time?

I did also start the migrated 2017 workspace with MyEclipse 2016 CI. The Tomcat 7 connector work without any problems, and I did not change any setting here.

Any slow-downs experienced in 2016 in the same circumstances? Is the MyEclipse Explorer fast here, and with the server started, do breakpoints get placed instantaneously?

Thanks,
    Brian.

#537541 Reply

Markus Becker
    Participant

>To be sure, you’re saying if the server is not started, placing the breakpoint doesn’t take time?

Setting in 2017 a breakpoint for this tomcat project while the server is down is faster, but is slower than in 2016 in my case.

>Any slow-downs experienced in 2016 in the same circumstances? Is the MyEclipse Explorer fast >here, and with the server started, do breakpoints get placed instantaneously?

Yes, same workspace with 2016 work very well without any small “freeze” effects.

#537630 Reply

Sudda
    Participant

Update: I still have same issue with Explorer View (ME 2017 CI8). The navigation is “extremely slow”. Our dev group never got to use MyEclipse 2017 and are with MyEclipse 2016 still. Customizing view content by unchecking Extensions did not help as suggested. It was still slow. We came to the point, where unchecking any more extensions would have made the “Explore View” with no useful content.

We too have webapp project (>2000 classes).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse Explorer view navigation extremly slow – MyEclipse 2017 C3

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in