facebook

Project clean is removing complete workspace

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

hello community,

a colleague has a strange problem.

MyEclipse is removing the complete workspace. I suspect it is a missmatch in a project configuration but its now the second time and i cant repeat it as a result that myeclipse destroyed workspace with success. ((

He is using MyEclipse 10 and there are about 20+ maven projects in workspace. The last action from him was a project clean (all projects).

Any idea what can be help? The last error i catched was bellow.

kind regards,
    Marco

!ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core 1 0 2012-01-09 15:40:12.474 !MESSAGE Error processing delta: ResourceDelta(/webcommon) !STACK 1
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Unable to delete deployment directory /
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.GenuitecCoreException.asCoreException(GenuitecCoreException.java:67)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ProjectDeltaVisitor.visit(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.ResourceDelta.accept(ResourceDelta.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.ResourceDelta.accept(ResourceDelta.java:80)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.ResourceDelta.accept(ResourceDelta.java:56)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentBuilder.�(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentBuilder.buildDelta(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentBuilder.build(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:728)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:199)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:239)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:292)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:295)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:351)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:374)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:143)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:241)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
    Caused by: com.genuitec.eclipse.core.GenuitecCoreException: Unable to delete deployment directory /
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.Deployment.resourcedDeleted(Unknown Source)
    … 19 more

#322199 Reply

btw. we allready checked the .classpath output-string. that string looks fine.

#322223 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Bundespraesident,

Sorry your colleague is seeing this problem.

Did you check the output folder for all projects? It almost looks as though one of them has the output folder set to “/”. What types of projects are in the workspace, web, ear, java, ejb, resource, all of them? Could your colleague try a clean against each project in turn to see which one is causing the problem (please try ALL of the projects)?

I’m not sure that the stack trace you provided was complete. Could you post the complete stack trace, if there is more?

Is the whole workspace being deleted or just the projects? Is the .metadata folder not deleted? If it’s not the whole workspace, could your colleague try creating a fresh workspace and trying again (if importing from an existing workspace, all projects can be imported at once)?

Please let us know the results.

#322404 Reply

Hi tony,

first thanks for response.
    I allready checked the deploy-folder-settings as i said.

We can’t finaly reconstruct the problem but we have it now on 4+ different pc’s.

I have a presumption that it is a heavy bug in the genuitec deployment-builder. We have different maven-project with dependencies to each other. In one maven module there was a .classpath and .project file checked in the version control (svn). We normaly didnt share both files because different developer client environments. So we removed both files in svn and added this filenames to svn:ignore.

Now one developer started a svn update to head on his machine and next what you can see is the stacktrace above.

We checked all eclipse settings and i am sure that its a bug. Please forward it to your developers!

kind regards,
    Marco

@support-tony wrote:

Bundespraesident,

Sorry your colleague is seeing this problem.

Did you check the output folder for all projects? It almost looks as though one of them has the output folder set to “/”. What types of projects are in the workspace, web, ear, java, ejb, resource, all of them? Could your colleague try a clean against each project in turn to see which one is causing the problem (please try ALL of the projects)?

I’m not sure that the stack trace you provided was complete. Could you post the complete stack trace, if there is more?

Is the whole workspace being deleted or just the projects? Is the .metadata folder not deleted? If it’s not the whole workspace, could your colleague try creating a fresh workspace and trying again (if importing from an existing workspace, all projects can be imported at once)?

Please let us know the results.

#322421 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Bundespraesident,

I’m not sure whether the error about being unable to delete a deployment directory is related to the workspace deletion or is a separate problem. I couldn’t replicate either problem.

I’ve escalated this issue to development. We’ll respond on this as soon as we can. In the meantime, if you can provide a full log file and indicate when the SVN update and/or clean took place, that may help us. Also, please let us know what operating system you use, which application server you’re deploying to and a rough idea of the type of maven projects in the workspace.

One other point; you say only some of your team is experiencing this. Are those who are not experiencing this doing the same sort of development work with the same environment or is there something different between the developers with problems and those without?

#322425 Reply

Thanks Tony!

I collecting your requested informations and reply here again soon. In the meantime i want let you now that the topic was wrong. MyEclipse is not deleting the workspace – its deleting the whole partition where the workspace is running. That is what you see in the stacktrace above.

kind regards,
    Marco

@support-tony wrote:

Bundespraesident,

I’m not sure whether the error about being unable to delete a deployment directory is related to the workspace deletion or is a separate problem. I couldn’t replicate either problem.

I’ve escalated this issue to development. We’ll respond on this as soon as we can. In the meantime, if you can provide a full log file and indicate when the SVN update and/or clean took place, that may help us. Also, please let us know what operating system you use, which application server you’re deploying to and a rough idea of the type of maven projects in the workspace.

One other point; you say only some of your team is experiencing this. Are those who are not experiencing this doing the same sort of development work with the same environment or is there something different between the developers with problems and those without?

#322442 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Bundespraesident,

I also thought the stack trace was pointing to deleting the whole file system but I’m not so sure. I think that path, “/”, might be relative to the deployment location. Take a look at the project properties and go to the MyEclipse->Deployment Assembly page. There you can see where various parts of the project are deployed.

Did any of your colleagues see more than the workspace being deleted?

We’re looking forward to receiving the details I requested and, hopefully, we can resolve this issue.

#322445 Reply

Brian Fernandes

As Tony requested in his last note, I would like to know what Server you are deploying to and if possible, please include a screenshot of the server configuration page. Do you have any custom deployment servers configured?

It appears that you do have an active deployment, but the deployment path is set to “/” instead of a location within your server installation; as a result, when the projects deploying to this location is cleaned, then the deployment location (/ in this case) is cleaned as well.

Additionally, if you go to Project properties > MyEclipse > Deployment Assembly, is it enabled for your projects?

#322466 Reply

Hi Brian and Tony!

Here your requested informations:

We have 5 affected pc’s with different configurations. All running on MyEclipse is 9.1 or 10 at windows 7 64bit. Web deployment assembly is allways on and some pc’s used the buildin myeclipse tomcat and some other used an external tomcat 6.

Because the problem i can’t provide you any screenshots or project propperties. If one pc running in that problem he is partially or complete unusable. The bug is removing all files on the partition where the workspace is running, that includes myeclipse program ressources and project settings.

The stactrace i posted was the last i catched in .metadata/.log. I try to collect you a complete logfile and replay here again.

Greetings from Germany,
    Marco

@Support-Brian wrote:

As Tony requested in his last note, I would like to know what Server you are deploying to and if possible, please include a screenshot of the server configuration page. Do you have any custom deployment servers configured?

It appears that you do have an active deployment, but the deployment path is set to “/” instead of a location within your server installation; as a result, when the projects deploying to this location is cleaned, then the deployment location (/ in this case) is cleaned as well.

Additionally, if you go to Project properties > MyEclipse > Deployment Assembly, is it enabled for your projects?

#322468 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Marco,

1) Can you confirm that the problem exists in 9.1? This will allow us to reduce the scope of our search for the cause of this issue. (The deployment assembly setting was not available in version 9.1 of MyEclipse for instance)

2) Can you confirm that the problem occurred on a machine which was deploying *ONLY* to the inbuilt MyEclipse Tomcat server?

3) You do not need to send us configuration details *after* the problem has been replicated. Please send us the screenshots of your configuration as it exist right now as well. A screenshot of the external Tomcat preference page would help a great deal.

#322567 Reply

Hi brian,

sorry for late response!

1. yes, we have the same problem on 9.1 and 10.
    2. no, some computers use the buildin tomcat, the others use an external tomcat 6.
    3. screenshot is attached to this reply.

Greetings,
    Marco

@Support-Brian wrote:

Marco,

1) Can you confirm that the problem exists in 9.1? This will allow us to reduce the scope of our search for the cause of this issue. (The deployment assembly setting was not available in version 9.1 of MyEclipse for instance)

2) Can you confirm that the problem occurred on a machine which was deploying *ONLY* to the inbuilt MyEclipse Tomcat server?

3) You do not need to send us configuration details *after* the problem has been replicated. Please send us the screenshots of your configuration as it exist right now as well. A screenshot of the external Tomcat preference page would help a great deal.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #322728 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Marco,

1) The first item that strikes me as odd is that you have configured an external connector to connect to our built-in tomcat. If you wish to use the in-built Tomcat, please use the MyEclipse Tomcat connector *directly*; otherwise on this preference page you can specify an external Tomcat, one that you have installed yourself (would not recommend installing it within your workspace or .metadata folder). I still don’t see how this could cause the problem you are experiencing, but I would still avoid it.

2) You mentioned that you have several projects in the workspace, by any chance were you able to isolate this issue to one or a few of these projects? What types of projects are these – are they plain Web Projects or Enterprise applications too?

3) Deploy any of the projects that have exhibited this problem in the past to your server. If you go to the deployed location (within the Server – you can choose the “Browse deployment location” action in the server view) do you see the .classpath and / or .project file copied anywhere within that location as well?

#322736 Reply

Hi Brian!

to 1)

You look wrong. I didnt configured an external tomcat connector to the build-in tomcat. The Tomcat you see on the screenshot is external, i only installed it in the workspace location (.metadata). I didnt think that can call the bug because my corp mates mostly use an location outside the eclipse workspace.

to 2)

We have about 15 maven projects with dependencies to each other. At the end point we use war projects, the others are typical jar’s. No enterprise apps. I can post you a maven tree if that helps?!

to 3)

Sorry, i cant provide that information. On all affected pc’s the filesystem was mostly cleared.

Note: If you remind, the problem was triggert as we removed the .project and .classpath files (in single project not all) on the server at the point where the affacted client starts an svn update. At the moment i called all developers in my company do not remove that project files on any projects in svn. Since my call we didnt get the bug again. May that information helps you to look forward.

kind regards,
    Marco

@Support-Brian wrote:

Marco,

1) The first item that strikes me as odd is that you have configured an external connector to connect to our built-in tomcat. If you wish to use the in-built Tomcat, please use the MyEclipse Tomcat connector *directly*; otherwise on this preference page you can specify an external Tomcat, one that you have installed yourself (would not recommend installing it within your workspace or .metadata folder). I still don’t see how this could cause the problem you are experiencing, but I would still avoid it.

2) You mentioned that you have several projects in the workspace, by any chance were you able to isolate this issue to one or a few of these projects? What types of projects are these – are they plain Web Projects or Enterprise applications too?

3) Deploy any of the projects that have exhibited this problem in the past to your server. If you go to the deployed location (within the Server – you can choose the “Browse deployment location” action in the server view) do you see the .classpath and / or .project file copied anywhere within that location as well?

#322806 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Marco,

1) Agreed, it is not the MyEclipse tomcat. In general I would not recommend installing in the .metadata folder though, the workspace folder may be more appropriate. Nevertheless, it is not the cause of your current issue.

2) With your information, I was able to replicate the problem. It occurs when the .project or .classpath files from a project that a Web project depends on are deleted and you have an active deployment. This is not common as both files are crucial to the functioning of a Java project, but obviously, it is a serious issue. The workaround you mentioned is appropriate – simply make sure these files are not deleted.

Thank you very much for your patience, diligence and support working with us on this issue. We will be releasing a fix for it in the upcoming 10.1 release. In order for us to get this fix to your team asap, could you please write in to support@genuitec.com Sub: ATTN Brian with a link to this thread?

Thank you.

#322937 Reply

Brian,

thank you very mutch! I look forward to the upcoming patch. Thanks too at tony!

Greetings from germany,
    Marco

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Project clean is removing complete workspace

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in