facebook

TCP/IP Monitor

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

vbfischer

I’m trying to use the TCP/IP Monitor. The site I’m trying to monitor uses SSL and authentication. It seems that it doesn’t work with the TCP/IP monitor that comes with it.

Example:
    URL: https://some.ip/path/to/app

Using Jakarta Commons HttpClient to make connection and set authentication information. I can access the app fine.

Now, I want to Monitor this connection. So I set my URL to:
    https://localhost:444/path/to/app

I setup TCP/IP Monitor like this:
    Local Monitoring Port: 444
    Monitor:
    Host: some.ip
    Port: 443
    Type: HTTP (HTTPS isn’t an option).

It never connects. Is it the SSL that’s causing problems? If so, and TCP/IP Monitor doesn’t support this, anyone have a suggestion on what else to use?

#218485 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@vbfischer wrote:

I’m trying to use the TCP/IP Monitor. The site I’m trying to monitor uses SSL and authentication. It seems that it doesn’t work with the TCP/IP monitor that comes with it.

Example:
    URL: https://some.ip/path/to/app

Using Jakarta Commons HttpClient to make connection and set authentication information. I can access the app fine.

Now, I want to Monitor this connection. So I set my URL to:
    https://localhost:444/path/to/app

I setup TCP/IP Monitor like this:
    Local Monitoring Port: 444
    Monitor:
    Host: some.ip
    Port: 443
    Type: HTTP (HTTPS isn’t an option).

It never connects. Is it the SSL that’s causing problems? If so, and TCP/IP Monitor doesn’t support this, anyone have a suggestion on what else to use?

Well, I don’t know, what useful you would see of a SSL encrypted (e.g. https) connection if looking at it.

Also if you try to connect with a non-SSL capable client to a HTTPS service, you won’t be able to complete the SSL handshake, and therefore obviously you don’t see anything useful.

Definitely not from the server, since if you are not providing a proper initiation of the SSL handshake, then it probably just aborts the connection, without writing anything into it. At least that is what has happened when I just wrote junk into a HTTPS service.

Regards,

Robert Varga

#218584 Reply

vbfischer

The HttpClient (jakarta commons) does SSL. It works, I’m just having some funky problem that I need to read the headers. Come to think of it, I bet HttpClient uses Log4J, so I”ll experiment with that.

#218585 Reply

vbfischer
    #663861 Reply

daveONE
    Participant

I realize this is old thread but I am having an issue with MyEclipse TCP/IP monitor
    In MyEclipse,
    Window-> Show View -> Other -> Debug -> TCP/IP monitor

It opens TCP/IP monitor in view mode
    Click on top right ( V symbol) View menu
    It show – Show headers and Properties

Clicking Properties does nothing
    but I see an error in logs

null
    org.eclipse.ui
    Error
    Sun Sep 20 21:48:01 EDT 2020
    Unhandled event loop exception

org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: null argument:
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isNotNull(Assert.java:88)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isNotNull(Assert.java:76)
    at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceManager.addToRoot(PreferenceManager.java:114)
    at org.eclipse.wst.internet.monitor.ui.internal.view.MonitorView.showPreferencePage(MonitorView.java:563)
    at org.eclipse.wst.internet.monitor.ui.internal.view.MonitorView$12.run(MonitorView.java:537)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:474)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:579)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.lambda$4(ActionContributionItem.java:413)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:89)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4105)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1037)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3922)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3524)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1160)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1049)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:658)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:557)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:154)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:150)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:401)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:594)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1447)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1420)

#663885 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Dave,

I see this too, in MyEclipse 2020.05 – thank you for the report. I must admit, we don’t have many users using this capability. Were you successfully using the monitor in earlier versions of MyEclipse or is this the first time you’re trying it?

#663908 Reply

daveONE
    Participant

This is first time trying this TCP Ip monitor. if it works, it can be invaluable to analyze traffic between to any two Rest end points. Is there any other plugin that provides this feature ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: TCP/IP Monitor

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in