facebook

Terminal+ Width truncated

1. CodeMix & Angular IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Webclipse 1.x Help
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Maxime
    Participant

Hello,
    I am using Angular IDE – Webclipse within Spring Tool Suite on Windows 10. When using the Terminal+ Window, the width is truncated to 80 characters at all times, whatever the real width of my Eclipse View. There is no wordwrap, so I lose the information that is output beyond 80 characters on a line. Here is an example:

[…]

@angular
    /compiler-cli@5.0.0 requires typescript@’>=2.4.2 <2.5.0′ but 2.6.1 was f
    Using this version can result in undefined behaviour and difficult to debug prob
    […]

I have looked around the preferences in Eclipse and cannot for the life of me find out where this 80 caracter width comes from…
    Any help?

Thanks!

#542129 Reply

support-swapna

Maxime,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue. I could not replicate the problem at my end.
    Can you please confirm if the problem persists in a new workspace as well?
    Have you installed any other plugins?

If possible please also send us the screenshot of the IDE including the Terminal+ to help us get a visual.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#542164 Reply

Maxime
    Participant

Hello,
    I have just tried with a fresh install of STS (version 3.9.1), Windows 64 bit version from here : https://spring.io/tools/sts/all
    I then installed Webclipse using the Drag and drop link, and imported my project in a brand new workspace, with no other plugins: Still the same problem.
    Attaching a screenshot of the Terminal+ view with the truncated output of “npm install”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #542229 Reply

support-swapna

Maxime,

Thank you for the screenshot and the details. We are looking into the issue.
    We will get back to you in case we need any more details.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#544169 Reply

sbelt
    Participant

I am experiencing this issue as well. Is there a work-around while you search for a solution?

#544255 Reply

Maxime
    Participant

Update: I just updated to 2017 CI 9, and I am sad to report that the problem is still present.

#544257 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Maxime,

Sorry to disappoint you – we did try to reproduce this issue on several systems, but could not, and unfortunately it had to be put on hold in the light of other tasks that we had for CI 9.

This is a prioritized issue for CI 10 though and investigation will be restarted shortly. If a workaround that does not require a new build can be found, we’ll let you know.

I have a few questions:
    1) Do you have git-bash or any other shell installed on your OS?
    2) If you open the Terminal view (not Terminal+) and open a local shell in there – can you reproduce the problem there too?
    3) Have you noticed the truncation for only the NPM commands, and do other commands work fine? I’m assuming they don’t either – just making sure.

#544260 Reply

Maxime
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    thanks for the quick heads up! Answers to your questions:
    1) Yes I have Putty installed with Pageant running at all times.
    2) Yes, Good catch! Also truncated at 80 caracters for a local shell (Windows).
    3) Everything is truncated.

You got me thinking and fiddling with 2) and I seem to have found a clue: I have 2 displays, a 19′ and a 22′, STS usually residing maximized in the 22′. When I move STS from one display to the other, the Terminal (both Terminal and Terminal+) views stop truncating. When I play with Maximize/Restore buttons on the top right of STS, I also have some form of success with getting the Truncated text to reappear, although when I maximize in the 22′ it mostly “retruncates” everytime. This seems to be an issue with the Eclipse Terminal(s) with dual display (Windows 10 related?) and Maximizing/Restoring Windows. I don’t know if Putty has anything to do with this.
    I went and checked with a coworker who has the same set-up as me (Windows 10, same displays). He is using Eclipse Neon, and we did the same tests with a Local Terminal, and we did not see the truncation happen.

So at least I have a workaround for now: I move STS to the 19′ screen, maximized, when I want to see the full output in a terminal.

How should we proceed with this? Does this seem to be a base Eclipse bug to you?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Maxime.
    #544268 Reply

Brian Fernandes

1) So putty + pageant won’t cause a problem; git-bash (for example) sometimes does as the Terminal+ could use that instead of the version we ship.

2) Could you think of any Windows display settings that are different on your machine, as compared to your colleague’s? Resolution, font scaling (maybe you have a custom scaling size), transparency, animations …

I don’t think dual monitors are the problem, though you moving the window around will do a “reset” of sorts that could result in the missing text coming back. Have you tried moving just the Terminal+ window? You can drag that view outside the parent Eclipse window, to your other monitor, and that might make a difference as well.

#544270 Reply

sbelt
    Participant

As I WAS also seeing this issue, I thought I might chime in! Last night this issue magically appeared on my Windows 10 install. I had never seen this issue before; then, apparently without cause, it just started happening. In the midst of this issue, DevStyle was installed on my system, but the issue persisted after the install was done. This morning, the issue has gone away just as mysteriously as it appeared in the first place.

To answer your questions:

1. I do NOT have Putty nor Pagent installed on my system. I DO have and use cygwin/bash on my system.
    2. As I say, this issue has gone away, so I no longer repro the issue in any terminal. (And I am not going to curse good fortune 😉 )
    3. When the issue was occuring it was truncating ng build commands. I cannot confirm or rule-out npm commands.

If it comes back I will share any details.

#544272 Reply

Maxime
    Participant

Brian,
    to answer your last post 2), no I have nothing special configured display-wise, I’m using Windows defaults.
    I did a test with an older version of STS 3.8.3 (Neon.2 4.6.2) I still had installed without Webclipse/Angular IDE (and no darkest dark theme) and the truncating is not happening at all in the Terminal Window.

Back in STS 3.9.1 / Webclipse ,I have tried moving just the Terminal+ Window around, detached from the main STS windows, and when it is already truncated, it stays truncated even if I move it to the other screen…

#544379 Reply

John
    Participant

This is actually an eclipse or windows setting (I can’t recall exactly). It is present on Win 10 but not Win 7.

One of my guys found a fix for this on stack overflow (related to terminal settings). I will try and get him to post a fix when I catch him.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by John.
    #544381 Reply

Maxime
    Participant

John you put me on the right track and I found this
    Eclipse bug

Indeed, if I check Use Legacy Console for the Windows Command Prompt, the problem goes away.
    This is more of a workaround than a fix, as the new functionalities of the Windows 10 Prompt were very welcome…

#544383 Reply

John
    Participant

That is it. should fix it.

#544437 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Thanks, Steve for chiming in, and John, for taking the time to track down that workaround.

The legacy console isn’t enabled by default (i.e. by default you will have the new console features) and this is the setting my team has too, yet we cannot reproduce the truncation issue.

The fact that Maxime can’t reproduce on Neon, and we still have no truncation without the legacy console indicate that something else is awry. I don’t think Darkest Dark will have anything to do with it, but you could try with the legacy console AND darkest dark disabled to see if that makes a difference too.

We’ll keep looking for the right solution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Terminal+ Width truncated

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in