facebook

Unneeded jsp validation nightmare

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Comments
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bill Gottlieb
    Participant

Somebody please explain to me how MyEclipse can take 10 minutes or more validating and revalidating and revalidating again my darn jsps. Then, if I make another change to code, not even related to the jsp, it starts again. Add to that, while it’s doing this ridiculous validation over and over again, if I make the mistake of trying to do a CTRL-C on a block of text, it totally hangs the development environment for up to a minute (everything goes light color and can’t do a thing) before letting me continue.

Once it finally gets through with this process, the environment works just fine…until I close it. Then, when I reopen it, the whole darn experience repeats…every single day, every single time.

I need validation of JSPS on, I just don’t have any clue what it is doing and why it keeps doing it.

#575381 Reply

support-swapna

Bill,

Sorry that you are seeing this problem.

Can you please give us some more details?

1. Are you seeing this validation problem recently? If yes, then can you please let us know if there has been any changes to the project or MyEclipse IDE? Did you install any third party plugins?
    2. Are you working with a large workspace? How many JSP files are in the workspace?
    3. Do you see this problem only with a particular workspace or all the workspaces? Also please check if increasing the -Xmx value in the myeclipse.ini (located in the myeclipse installation directory) helps.
    4. Are you working with the latest MyEclipse 2017 CI 10? If no, then please share with us the MyEclipse Build ID and Version details from Help > About MyEclipse section.
    5. Please clear the contents of the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log, replicate the validation problem and the freeze with Ctrl+C and send us the .log file for further investigation.
    6. Also please take 3-4 thread dumps of the time when MyEclipse is revalidating the files and freezes on Ctrl+C and share them with us that would help us figure out what process is running. To take a thread dump, you will need to run
    jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the MyEclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of validation, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#575533 Reply

Bill Gottlieb
    Participant

1. Are you seeing this validation problem recently? If yes, then can you please let us know if there has been any changes to the project or MyEclipse IDE? Did you install any third party plugins?
    This problem has been happening for ever. I’ve reported it before. No changes to the project recently. Did update to the new CI in the last month or so. No new plugins. Really, I think subversion is the only think I’ve installed. I’m attaching my installation details.

2. Are you working with a large workspace? How many JSP files are in the workspace?
    I guess project size is relative to who you’re talking to. Here it is quantified:
    Total JAVA files: 1695
    Total JSP files: 392
    Total files (JAVA & JSP): 2087
    Total JAVA lines of code: 455242
    Total JSP lines of code: 70916
    Total lines of code (JAVA & JSP): 526158

3. Do you see this problem only with a particular workspace or all the workspaces? Also please check if increasing the -Xmx value in the myeclipse.ini (located in the myeclipse installation directory) helps.
    I only use 1 workspace. I increased the -Xmx value from 1024 to 1536. The first thing that happened when I opened the project is validation of all jsps yet again. I didn’t change anything prior to closing the project last time and it had already validated the jsps in that session. On the bright side, CRTL-C only caused a short delay in processing before returning control.

4. Are you working with the latest MyEclipse 2017 CI 10? If no, then please share with us the MyEclipse Build ID and Version details from Help > About MyEclipse section.
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 2017 CI 10
    Build id: 15.0.1-20171220

5. Please clear the contents of the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log, replicate the validation problem and the freeze with Ctrl+C and send us the .log file for further investigation.
    As stated in #3 above, the freeze is only a few seconds now with the increased memory. I’m attaching the log file.

6. Also please take 3-4 thread dumps of the time when MyEclipse is revalidating the files and freezes on Ctrl+C and share them with us that would help us figure out what process is running. To take a thread dump, you will need to run
    jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the MyEclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of validation, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.
    I’ll try to get to this one. It will take me a bit longer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #576041 Reply

support-swapna

Bill,

Thank you for the details and the log file. Apologies for not following up your previous report.
    If possible, can you please switch to a new workspace, import your project and see if the JSP validation problem persists?

If you are seeing the problem in a new workspace as well, then in addition to the dump files, please also share with us the zipped project to help us replicate the problem at our end. Once MyEclipse starts validating JSPs, switch to the Progress view and send us a screenshot of the Progress view highlighting which job is running for a long time.

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#576082 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Bill,

Given that this problem has plagued you for so long, would you have the time to go over it with me in a web meeting? This will give me a better understanding of your environment, workspace, project and hopefully what is actually going wrong with your installation.

Let me know what times would work for you over the next couple of days, preferably before 1 PM CDT and I can set something up.

#576084 Reply

Bill Gottlieb
    Participant

Sure, we can do that. I’m pretty flexible. If you want, we can do it now. Otherwise, pick a time that works for you today or tomorrow. Thanks!

#576104 Reply

Bill Gottlieb
    Participant

Hold on…when I opened my project today and started editing, it hasn’t revalidated again! Perhaps, after adding memory and it revalidating afterwards, it fixed whatever the issue was. This is the first time I’ve used it since closing the project after that. I’ll let you know if the issue starts again but, for now, I’m pretty happy! Thanks!!!

#576106 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Alright! Fingers crossed – let me know if it explodes again and we’ll take a look.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Unneeded jsp validation nightmare

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in