facebook

Update from Eclipse for C/C++ 2018-09 to 2018-12 makes DevStyle look pale

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Theme Problems
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

marv99
    Participant

After updating Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers from version 2018-09 to version 2018-12, darkest dark is not so dark anymore. It is almost light grey (see attached screenshot). I loved how dark it was before.

IDE Package: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
    IDE Version: 2018-12 (4.10.0)
    Plugin: DevStyle CI 2018.10.24

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #610177 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello @marv99, sorry you are seeing this issue. It looks more like DevStyle wasn’t correctly applied at all. Can you check if there’s any error in your error log? Also, can you confirm you have selected DevStyle in the General > Appearance preferences page?

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#610184 Reply

marv99
    Participant

Hello @aaronlonin, thanks for your reply.

DevStyle is selected (see screenshot). DarkestDark is also selected. Sometimes I also get a blue tab bar (see screenshot). Latest logs contain a NullPointer Exception. Older logs contain a DevStyle related InvalidArgumentException.

Thanks,
    Marv

Attachments:
    #610190 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thank you for the details! We are working on a fix for this issue. Once we get it I can share the fix to you to test it, that would be a huge help if you can.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lara

#610196 Reply

Aaron Lara

We got the fix into our preview release. Can you give it a try?

To use the preview release, follow these steps:

1. Add the following line to Eclipse/configuration/config.ini
    com.genuitec.devstyle.manifest.url=http\://www.genuitec.com/updates/devstyle/prerelease/devstyle.json
    2. Restart Eclipse
    3. An update will be detected (see progress view) when the update is done, restart Eclipse.

If it doesn’t update automatically try the following:
    1. Go to help > Install New Software
    2. Use this site: http://www.genuitec.com/updates/devstyle/prerelease/
    3. Select DevStyle (for update) and continue with the wizard

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Aaron Lara.
    #610230 Reply

marv99
    Participant

Amazing how quick you delivered a fix. Thanks.

It seems to fix the issue mainly. Most of the UI uses a darker grey now. The menubar and their menus are using a system color (I guess). I think that wasn’t the case with 2018-09. Maybe they cannot be themed anymore? Another minor issue I spotted was black text for some (I guess already active) menu items in the “Show views” dialog (see screenshot).

There were no exceptions thrown anymore.

Thanks again for your nice support.

Attachments:
    #610233 Reply

Aaron Lara

Thank you! Menu colors indeed come from the System theme in linux. Regarding those dark labels in show view We’ll investigate.

Thanks for the valuable feedback!

#610282 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! Regarding the Show View dialog, Eclipse is trying to display a little darker foreground when a view is already visible in the current perspective. It looks like their calculation are not very good in the case of this linux theme.

Anyway, we managed to fix it with DevStyle 😀 just update your current installation with the same update site I already shared: if you installed via Install New Software just do help > Check for updates. Otherwise just restart and make sure you get today’s version.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Aaron Lara.
    #610306 Reply

marv99
    Participant

Hi. Respect for the dedication and speed. The “Show views” problem is fixed as well.

FYI:

Before installing this second patch, I saw the two exceptions in the log again (same as in log-2019-03-05.txt) and the text color of tab titles was black (see screenshot), and one tab was blue for some time. After installing the update everything seemed to be okay, just during startup I still receive one of the two exceptions (see attached).

Marv

Attachments:
    #610371 Reply

Aaron Lara

Marv, I’m glad our patch fixed most of the issues. Regarding the error, I could not replicate at my end. Can you please give us more details about your Linux install? Distro, version, GTK2 or GTK3?.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#610542 Reply

marv99
    Participant

I am on Debian Buster (testing), GTK 3.24.

#610998 Reply

marv99
    Participant

Hi again,

after a fresh reinstall with the release of the new DevStyle a couple of days ago, first everything seemed fine, but I got some exceptions and theme issues again (see screenshot and log). Another issue I’ve experienced is that if any popup from the Startup Experience is opened, it has white background with white text.

Attachments:
    #611001 Reply

support-swapna

marv,

Sorry that you are seeing these problems. Thank you for the log file and the screenshot.
    Can you please recheck if your DevStyle install is updated? We followed up with a second update to fix some DevStyle related problems. Please check for an update via Help > Check for Updates and restart to get back to a much improved DevStyle.

If you are still seeing issues, then please go to Help > About Eclipse IDE > Installation Details > Installed Software and share with us the version details for DevStyle plugin. Please switch to a new workspace and check if you are seeing the reported problems. If yes, then share with us the workspace log located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log (save it as text file and attach it to help us get a clean log file)

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#611004 Reply

marv99
    Participant

Hi, thanks. I switched to a new workspace and I don’t have the issues anymore. The problem with the popups within the startup experience persists (see screenshot).

Attachments:
    #611007 Reply

Aaron Lara

Marv, the issue with almost invisible text might be caused by the GTK theme used, and it also heppens without DevStyle being installed (see attachment of the regular workspace selection dialog without devstyle).

My guess is that those dialogs on startup are rendered by eclipse with a forced white background but with white fonts comming from the GTK theme.

Anyway, we can try to fix this issue at least when using DevStyle so I filed a bug for it to be investigated further.

Thanks again!
    Aaron Lara

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Update from Eclipse for C/C++ 2018-09 to 2018-12 makes DevStyle look pale

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in