facebook

Using or converting TopLink Essentials JPA in newer version of ME IDE

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Balazs D. Toth
    Participant

Hello,
    In a former queastion “Adding Subclipse plugin to a reinstalled ME 8.6 for Spring fails” Swapna (*****) gave me perfect solution.
    At the same time it was recommended to upgrade to a newer version of ME IDE.

I gave a try to ME 2016 and could install Subclipse plugin using the standard way.
    An I could import my web project developed in ME 8.6 to ME 2016.

However I have problems using my TopLink Essentials JPA in my formerly developed Web Project.
    ME 2016 does not support this kind of JPA.
    (There is no problem if no changes in the JPA classes are needed, everything works well.)

First I tried to add the original TopLink libraries to the my project using the User Library option.
    I failed.

Next I tried to use EclipseLink 2.5 supported (and offered) by ME 2016, since it is said it is based on TopLink.
    However there is nothing any commonn between the two solutions.
    The basic Java class is completely different, I could not made it generate DAO classes at all.
    The problem is that I created lots of TopLink persistence classes using the DAO style.
    Moreover I created DAOExt classes as well, which contains my extra additions to the default functions.

Could you recommend me some simple solution or should I completely redesign my existing JPA solution?
    If I have to perform redesign, how it can be done, what documentation should I read?

At present I use ME 8.6 for (re)generating the JPA classes if needed and copy them to my project imported to ME 2016.

Thanks
    Balazs Toth

#658700 Reply

Balazs D. Toth
    Participant

Hello,

In the end I managed to change TopLink JPA to EclipseLink.
    I had to find my way in the variety of the possible settings.
    Now I have to consult and compare EclipseLink 2.5 documentation to that of TopLink Essentials.

You can close this topic.
    However if yuo think you could give me some helpful hints I would gladly receive them.

Thanks
    Balazs Toth

#658721 Reply

Balazs D. Toth
    Participant

Hello,

I have a question.

Since my application is live one I want move to ME 2016 gradually and I want to keep ME 8.6 as base for development for some time.
    I hope I could put back EclipseLink JPA under ME 8.6 and exchange TopLink Essentials with it.
    Can you confirm this?

Thanks
    Balazs Toth

#658830 Reply

support-swapna

Balazs,

TopLink Essentials is the reference implementation for older versions of JPA. From JPA 2.0 onwards, EclipseLink is the reference implementation.
    I am afraid adding EclipseLink to MyEclipse 8.6 may not work since it is a newer implementation and not sure how much it will work when trying to regenerate the classes.

As far as I know, EclipseLink includes all the features from TopLink and much more. Coming to your project, I am afraid we cannot assist you with moving to EclipseLink. You will have to look for resources online or post on development related forums like stackoverflow.com for better support.

Please note that MyEclipse 2016 is around 4-5 years old and no longer fully supported (no fixes or enhancements will be made). My recommendation is to move to MyEclipse 2019 or MyEclipse 2020 (due for release very soon).

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#659128 Reply

Balazs D. Toth
    Participant

Hello Swapna,

Thank you for your answer.

I understand (and I was prepared) that moving EclipseLink back to ME 8.6 would not work.
    I knew the facts you listed on Toplink and EclipseLink, that is why I did not try to move to Hibernate for example.
    However I did not find any help on what specific settings should be used in ME (2016) when trying to set EclipseLink to substitue Toplink.
    In the end I managed using the try and check method to perform this substitution. It took me some days.
    Though you do not agree I still think that you could help in MyEclipse specific settings problems.
    I understand that sticking to an outdated version is not very profitable and I am going to perform upgrading.
    However you could understand when completely lost in new tasks of maintaining and updating a 24/7 application (among others!) I do not have time for learning the tidbits of newer tool.
    Just one example: see the the difference of finding how to add JPA capabilities to a project in ME 8.6 and ME 2016.
    Nevertheless having more spare time I shall move to ME 2016 first and to ME 2020 (when published) next.

Anyway thank you for your answer.
    I think this support ticket might be closed.

Thanks and regards
    Balazs

#659181 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Balazs,

Just a comment on updating to newer versions of MyEclipse. MyEclipse 8 was released in 2010, and MyEclipse 2016 about 6 years later. There were some pretty big changes in the Eclipse space during this time, with quite a bit of advanced tooling being developed for both Eclipse and MyEclipse. This is why there’s quite a difference between versions of MyEclipse 10 and below, and versions that came after.

MyEclipse 2016 and 2020 however, are a lot closer. You will find the JPA experience and library support to be very similar (JPA 2.2, new in the 2020 release, requires Maven support, but prior versions of JPA should function just as they did in 2016). So if you are taking the trouble to migrate, you might as well jump to 2020 directly (released earlier this week), as it will be very similar to jumping to 2016 from ME 8.

Hope this helps clear things up on the MyEclipse version front -your call of course, on which version you’ll feel most comfortable with.

#659540 Reply

Balazs D. Toth
    Participant

Hello Swapna, hello Brian,

Thank you for your valuable comments.

As a closure of the topic I tell you my recent findings.

In the end it turned out that even Toplink Essentials can set as a JPA implementation from the MyEclipse Library as Toplink 2.0.

Nevertheless I do not mind changing to ME 2016, because it supports newer versions and technologies.
    (I wish I had not other tasks to accomplish at the same time.)

Thanks to your warning getting acquainted with ME 2020 will be postponed at present, since I am not even acquainted with ME 2016 either.

Thanks for your help and regards,
    Balazs Toth

#659574 Reply

support-swapna

Balazs,

Thank you for sharing your findings.
    Please let us know if you see any issues with MyEclipse 2016.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Using or converting TopLink Essentials JPA in newer version of ME IDE

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in