facebook

What is "Base URI change job" and why does it block my entire IDE

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Mike_mikekonikoff
    Participant

Made a one line change to my web.xml file, adding a simple url pattern to a web resource collection. Now I’m waiting over 10 minutes with

“User Operation is Waiting” and “Base URI change job … OK”

No, it is not OK. What is it and how can I make it go away forever? Cancelling has no effect. If I kill the MyEclipse process the workspace may get corrupted.

Using latest CI build on Windows 7 Pro, both 64-bit.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #607527 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello Mike, really sorry you are hitting this issue in MyEclipse. If you open your tasks manager do you see any child process taking too much memory or CPU?

If you can send a jstack it would help us know which process hanging too.

Regards!
    Aaron Lara

#607528 Reply

Aaron Lara

You can generate a JStack by executing the command jstack -l 1234 stack.txt where 1234 is the PID of the MyEclipse process. If you don’t have jtack command in your path, you should navigate to the JDK’s bin folder.

Example:
    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_171\bin>jstack -l 1032388 stack.txt

#607562 Reply

Mike_mikekonikoff
    Participant

Thank you very much for the info. I will try that if it happens again. Killing the myeclipse process with Task Manager and restarting Myeclipse worked ok this time. I try to avoid this method if possible, so I do really appreciate the jstack tip.

#609267 Reply

Mike_mikekonikoff
    Participant

It happened again today… after using Team Synchronizing to update the source with all incoming changes, a “User Operation is Waiting” message appears and never completes. The top operation shown is “Base URI change job.”

My jstack output is attached.

Attachments:
    #609270 Reply

Aaron Lara

Mike, Thanks for the details! I need to investigate this issue and discuss with my mates, please give me some time. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#609325 Reply

Aaron Lara

Mike, we managed to come with a fix but it would be awesome if you can give it a try to see if it works at your end. To do so follow the instructions:

1. Shut down MyEclipse.
    2. Download and extract the attached plugins.zip file.
    3. Go to your MyEclipse installation directory and navigate to the plugins folder.
    4. BackUp the jar file named com.genuitec.eclipse.rest.jaxrs.core_1.8.3.201706211325.jar by copying it somewhere else.
    Make sure the file name (including the version) matches exactly. If it doesn’t match then stop here and let me know what’s the version you have.
    5. Override the jar by the one you just extracted.
    6. Start MyEclipse and make sure you no longe see the issue.

It would be cool if you can try making changes a few times in web.xml, saving, etc.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Aaron Lara.
    Attachments:
    #609369 Reply

Mike_mikekonikoff
    Participant

Aaron – it appeared to work. After following your steps and updating web.xml, the Base URI change job message appeared for several seconds, and then it completed and the progress dialog closed on its own, which is good progress. However, I then tried to remove the change from web.xml and now the IDE is not responding for several minutes, screen grayed out except for an inline help box that says:

Element: url-pattern
    Data Type: string
    Press ‘F2’ for focus

Eventually it completed, so I tried the same steps again (adding a url-pattern, saving, removing the url-pattern) and had the same result. jstack is attached.

Thanks again!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Mike_mikekonikoff. Reason: new info
    Attachments:
    #609370 Reply

Aaron Lara

Mike, those are awesome news! Thank you for helping us make MyEclipse better!
    We will include this fix in our next MyEclipse release 😀

Have a great weekend!

#609373 Reply

Mike_mikekonikoff
    Participant

I edited my previous post with new info… please let me know if you think it is related or not.

#609375 Reply

Aaron Lara

Mike, thanks for the details provided, they are really useful!

I can see the UI waiting while another thread is reading some zip files. I will share these findings with the developer who primarily worked this issue.

Cheers!
    Aaron Lara

#612113 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mike,

We released MyEclipse 2019.4.0 which has a fix for this issue – it was a really key find, thank you again for taking the time to get us those thread dumps.

If you still run into this issue after updating, please let us know.

Have a great weekend!

#634001 Reply

Mike_mikekonikoff
    Participant

(belated) thanks to you and the dev team. I think it’s great when the forum leads to positive changes 🙂

FYI I came back to this thread just to find the jstack command. Updated to 2019.12.5 today and had a long pause first time of opening an editor and clicking Link with Editor in explorer. I’ll open a new post if it happens again. Thanks again for all your help!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: What is "Base URI change job" and why does it block my entire IDE

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in