facebook

Why did this install itself without asking me

1. DevStyle
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

sbelt
    Participant

I just restarted Eclipse/Webclipse, and it came back up with this DevStyle automatically installed and activated. I do not want this Darkest Dark theme: Last time I tried Darkest Dark, I was unable to remove it and ended up re-installing Eclipse and then Webclipse.

Please tell me you have ironed out the remove theme bugs, then tell me how I can return to the default layout.

(I am truly discouraged that Webclipse imposed this update.)

Steve B.

#544170 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Steve,

Thanks for reaching out, DevStyle (as Darkest Dark is now know), has other features including inline search and a new startup experience. These elements, with new ones coming, will be laying the foundation for some other usability improvements to help Eclipse and by association Webclipse, stay competitive in the editor landscape. Part of these improvements are necessary for upcoming Webclipse features.

During the update, you should have been presented a Styles page where you can choose to “keep using the Eclipse look” — if you choose this, you would not see any theme change. If you did choose the dark theme by default, there are two options:

Option 1. Go to the DevStyle > Color Themes page and choose a light theme and for editor colors “Eclipse Standard” to get regular editor colors
    Option 2. If you prefer to entirely turn it off, you can go to General : Appearance and simply switch back to the Eclipse “Light” theme or whichever you prefer.

Regarding bugs Darkest Dark had a while back, including things like Oomph trying to track and reapply theming to new workspaces — CI 9 cleaned up all that including intercepting Oomph from mucking with workspaces which caused frustration when restarting and Eclipse would come back up with colors.

Tim

#544292 Reply

Bob Dietrich
    Participant

This sucks. I was never presented with a “style page” during installation, in ME on Win10, ME on OS X, or Webclipse on Win10. So immediately I was forced into Darkest crap, which I find hard to read. So I went to Preferences. As you can see from the attachment (Win10), there is no DevStyle menu item in Win10. Furthermore, the Color Theme page LOCKS ME INTO DARKEST CRAP! Again, see attachment. I can change the theme in the other two installations, but not Win10 ME. And for various reasons Win10 is my primary environment for a critical project.

Now I’m forced to spend time bitching here, as well as some unknown amount of time cleaning up the fact your bugs made the tool unusable. I’m regretting that I just renewed my subscription.

Bob

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #544299 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Bob,

In MyEclipse, you are not switched to the DevStyle theme for existing workspaces, even after updating to 2017 CI 9 (which was released yesterday). If you create a new workspace as well, Eclipse defaults are used – so your experience is definitely not intentional.

From your screenshot, it also looks like you aren’t on CI 9. There definitely is a DevStyle page, and we’ve removed some of the pages you do have in your screenshot. Can you go to Help > About and confirm the version shown? If it’s not CI 9, can you please go to Help > Check for Updates and update your installation?

If you are on CI 9 already and still experience these issues, please send us your workspace Error log. You can return to any prior version of MyEclipse by using Help > Check for Updates and choosing a version from the “Lock to version” combo – CI 9 certainly should be far better on this front (and all others) though, so I hope this won’t be necessary.

Bottom line, you should never have had this experience, I’m sorry, and I hope the steps above get you back on track to doing real work.

#544310 Reply

Bob Dietrich
    Participant

Brian,
    While I appreciate your quick response, your first sentence implies I accidentally or purposely changed the theme to the dark style. Just to be clear, I did not. Although the theme makes it difficult to navigate (see new attachment), as far as I can tell there wasn’t an opportunity to change the theme. To update from CI 8, I clicked on check for updates, clicked through the accepts, and restarted when prompted. When ME came up, it was the dark theme. I suppose I could have missed a “don’t screw with the theme” button or checkbox. If that’s the case it’s a very poor default, and would have been obscured by the renewal notices that popped up. I just renewed the other day and hadn’t entered the new license info.

I can’t read all the text, but the About box does show CI 8. So it appears the install failed silently, at least partially. If that’s the case, would it be useful to send you the current log before trying an update? In any event, please let me know where to locate the log(s).

Bob

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #544316 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Bob,

Understood – to clarify, I wasn’t saying that you changed the theme, I wanted to say that the behavior you saw is something we did not deliberately intend – we’re not forcing the dark theme onto MyEclipse users. Clearly, it did happen, and that’s because something went wrong; from your notes, it was an update failure. There shouldn’t have been a theme selection dialog in MyEclipse, but we will look into this.

Now the update failure is odd, especially if it did ask you to restart, which would indicate the update completed successfully. Can you tell me when you attempted to update, and did you get a prompt to update or did you check yourself?

Do send me the log as it exists right now (it’s at [workspace_folder]/.metadata/.log) and then yes, go ahead and try the update again. Though, at this point, given the bad “middle” state you were in, you will probably still come up with the dark theme, but the controls to move off to the theme of your choice should be present.

#544344 Reply

sbelt
    Participant

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I was already frustrated trying to figure out why my Terminal was clipped at 80-chars (already reported in the Forums) and was restarting Eclipse as a desperate attempt. Eclipse started with this new layout, and I was just not ready to “deal with it”; so, I simply dismissed the Window which shutdown Eclipse. I restarted Eclipse and found all these updates had happened anyway. I am trying to fix a bug, and the hole just got dug alot deeper.

I do not doubt – and in fact look forward to – the new features that this DevStyle and WebClipse will be rolling out. It is just the timing that frustrates me. I clicked no button confirming that I wanted any of this installed. I recognize that I am but one user, and like I say, it was bad timing. Just sharing my personal reaction to the update.

Frustrated, But Still A Fan,

Steve B)

#544345 Reply

timwebb
    Keymaster

Steve,

Thanks for the candid response. It is a tough balance rolling out a larger change — during metrics from usability studies, we found that having people “opt in” greatly reduced the overall satisfaction as many users given a choice will ‘keep it as is’ because it is the safe answer even if they ultimately would be happier with the alternative. I am sorry that this caught you at a bad moment though. In particular, we likely over-biased things towards switching to the Dark theme on the initial theme page. In fact, we have it pre-selected so if you just clicked Next not really reading, you would get it. Totally fine if you were using Darkest Dark already but jarring if you were just trying to get back into work.

I’ve logged an issue to see if we can improve this experience going forward. Feedback like yours really does help!

Have a nice weekend.

Tim

#544823 Reply

ajaymaske
    Participant

I wasn’t prompted for this update either, I started Eclipse one day as I usually do and got an update then restarted. When Eclipse restarted everything was changed out – not good. I do use the slack plugin but that was it. I used Jeeeyul’s theme with the Eclipse Color Themes for the editor (specifically the monokai theme). The one thing that I specifically do not like and is really annoying is this whole Dark Theme/Light Theme and only being able to select the listed editor themes under each – kind of like “you’ll do things our way only”. I prefer a normal looking ide with the editor theme being monokai. With this DevStyle this makes it impossible.

Also, there is no longer “General->Appearance->Color Themes” under preferences. So even switching back to Jeeeyul’s Theme I can no longer select an editor theme.

So now, I’m having to figure out how to get this uninstalled so I can get Eclipse back what was useful for me.

Got it all back… had to uninstall the slack genuitec plugin, which also uninstalled the DevStyle (which wasn’t listed). oh and the “General->Appearance->Color Themes” also came back … so I’m good now …

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by ajaymaske.
    #544872 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Ajay,

Sorry to see you go. The updates are intentionally automatic (auto updates can be disabled on the Window > Preferences > Webclipse) page, and you have been probably receiving updates ever since you installed the Slack plugin.

On restarting, you should have been taken through a customization step that allows you to choose theme, though someone already pointed out earlier that the ability to keep our default theme was not obvious – we will be fixing this.

Now, using Eclipse Color Themes with DevStyle enabled causes a large number of issues, which is why it has been intentionally disabled. However, I do see your point about not being able to use these settings if you’re not interested in using our themes, and we’ll look at what we can do internally to address this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Why did this install itself without asking me

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in