facebook

Why does 'Restting Selection' take so long time(about 5 to 10min)?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Yu Wennan
    Participant

Hi,
    My system: Macbook Pro CPU:i7 4770HQ,Memory:16G,Yosemite 10.10.4
    MyEclipse:2015 CI 13

I migrated a web project with spring3.05 from MyEclipse8.

when I editing a java file, MyEclipse’s progress shows ‘Resetting Selection’, sometime, it stuck at ‘Linking viewer’….

Please help

#396683 Reply

support-swapna

Yu,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue.

Can you please give us some more information?

1. Do you see the issue only when editing the migrated project’s java files or with any java file in the workspace?
    2. Can you please switch to a new workspace and check if the issue persists with other projects as well?
    3. Also please try increasing the memory (-Xmx) in the myeclipse.ini file located in the MyEclipse installation directory and check if it helps.
    4. Please check if there are any related errors logged in the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log. If yes, then please send us the .log file for further investigation.
    5. Also send us the screenshot of the Progress view to help us get a visual.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#396855 Reply

Yu Wennan
    Participant

Swapna,

Thanks for your reply.
    I created a new workspace and new web project, then I copied src and webRoot dirs, it worked. That latency never showed.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Yu Wennan.
    #396857 Reply

support-swapna

Yu,

Glad that it is working fine.
    Let us know if you see any issues.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

#542878 Reply

philduhs
    Participant

Hi,

I have the same issue in the current version of MyEclipse running on my new MacBook Pro:

Version: 2017 CI 8
    Build id: 15.0.1-20170912

After saving changes to a java file (not JSP file) I have to wait about 2 minutes while “Resetting Selection” happens and then some more time that doesn’t have a progress message. This seems to get worse the longer MyEclipse is open – although only marginally worse as it starts off bad.

I have had this problem for 6 months and in the last few days created a new workspace and re-imported my project into that after seeing the above post. Same problem or possibly worse (takes even longer).

Happy to send any log files, etc – here is the contents of my eclipse.ini file:

#ansi (do not remove)
    -startup
    ../Profile/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.200.v20160318-1642.jar
    --launcher.library
    ../Profile/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_1.1.400.v20160518-1444
    -vm
    ../Profile/binary/com.sun.java.jdk8.macosx.x86_64_1.8.0.v112/jre/lib/jli/libjli.dylib
    -install
    /Applications/MyEclipse 2017 CI/MyEclipse 2017 CI.app/Contents/Profile
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    -vmargs
    -Xdock:icon=../Resources/myeclipse.icns
    -Xms1024m
    -Xmx8192m
    -XX:PermSize=256m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
    -XX:+UseG1GC
    -XX:+UseStringDeduplication
    -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
    -Dosgi.nls.warnings=ignore
    -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
    -Xdock:icon=../Resources/myeclipse.icns
    -XstartOnFirstThread

I really need to resolve this as it’s a real distraction from development not to mention a time waster and frustrating when I’m trying to get those last changes done at 2am!

Rgds,
    Phil

#542880 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Phil,

That sounds terribly frustrating. I may have located the cause of this problem (though have not been able to replicate it); I need some input from you.

1) Create a new Java project in your new workspace … just a dummy one and create a sample class. Edit this file and save it – do you see the delay when you edit this too?

2) Do you have the project actively deployed to any server? If yes, do you experience the issue if the project is not deployed?

3) Important:If the problem is specific to your project (and does not happen for test #1 above) – can you zip the .project file and the contents of the .settings folder and attach them to this post? Alternatively you can email them to support@genuitec.com with subject: ATTN Brian and link to this thread.

Hope we’re able to figure this out ASAP.

#544074 Reply

fcc10267091
    Participant

Hi,
    I have the same issue:

Version: 2017 CI 7
    Build id: 15.0.1-20170704

After saving changes to a java file (not JSP file) I have to wait about 30 seconds.
    dir/.metadata/.log(no other error logs):

!ENTRY org.eclipse.m2e.logback.appender 2 0 2017-11-29 16:51:23.277
    !MESSAGE Using platform encoding (GBK actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!

!ENTRY org.eclipse.m2e.logback.appender 2 0 2017-11-29 16:51:23.282
    !MESSAGE Using platform encoding (GBK actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!

!ENTRY org.eclipse.m2e.logback.appender 2 0 2017-11-29 16:51:31.930

!ENTRY org.eclipse.m2e.logback.appender 2 0 2017-11-29 16:51:31.935

thanks!

#544079 Reply

Brian Fernandes

fcc,

Do you just experience a delay or do you see the “Resetting selection” job as well? If you’re not sure, could you keep the Progress view open and see what jobs are running during the time which your workspace is stuck?

To follow up on the previous poster’s issue – the problem is caused by something in our Spring tooling going awry, this will be further investigated and fixed for the 2017 CI 10 release – for now the issue can only be resolved by removing the Spring facet from the project.

#544185 Reply

fcc10267091
    Participant

Dear Fernandes,

No other process, you can check in the attachment.
    I’m going to change my version.

thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #544189 Reply

Brian Fernandes

It is good to know that you’re experiencing the same issue with “Resetting selection”. Just to clarify, the release with the fix is not yet available, unfortunately – CI 9 will be released today, but it does not include this fix.

The problem can be resolved by removing the Spring facet from the project (which needs to be done manually, the UI will not allow this), and this will result in the loss of spring functionality as well. I will follow up with some instructions.

#544200 Reply

support-swapna

fcc,

Please find the attached file with the steps to remove the Spring facet manually from the project.
    Hope this helps. Let us know how it works for you.

–Swapna
    MyEclipse Support

Attachments:
    #598855 Reply

amkd
    Participant

Has this issue been solved yet? I experience the same when I was using 2017 CI, trying to build the project will cause ‘resetting selection’ to run for several minutes. But that’s tolerable to me. However, now I’m using 2018 CI, and ‘resetting selection’ will be triggered every once when I change the code! I did not enable build automatically and didn’t even save the file, still, like even I haven’t finished typing for just one line and MyEclipse will start running validation/compilation for minutes and stops response on mouse hover and/or content assist.

#598871 Reply

Brian Fernandes

We were unable to replicate the issue in our testing environments, unfortunately. While the “Resetting selection” job does indeed run, it does not lock the IDE, and we were unable to get into a state described by other users on this thread. It is possible that something else is going awry, your current experience sounds terrible.

1) Could you get us some thread dumps while your IDE is locked? This might shed some light on what processes are causing it to lock up.

To take a thread dump, you will need to run: jstack -l 9000 > dump1.txt
    Please replace 9000 with the PID of the Eclipse process, the jstack program can be found in the bin directory of any JDK installation. If you can generate 3-4 dumps (sent to different files, of course) during the period of slowness, and attach those files here, that could help a great deal.

2) If you haven’t already tried it, does removing the Spring facet fix the problem? This is not a solution of course, but would help us ascertain whether the problem is still being caused by the Spring tech.

We would really love to fix this problem, so your input would be invaluable. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

#603409 Reply

jackwong06
    Participant

have the same problem and it slows down my productivity a lot. Please fix it.

background:
    Windows 10 Pro
    me myeclipse version CI 2018.9.0
    build id: 16.0.0-20180903

attach the dump files you requested.

in my case, IDE get slower and slower to response doing “Resetting Selection” until it crashed.

Attachments:
    #603438 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Jack,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing a similar delay – this issue is under renewed investigation right now, but we’re still having a hard time reproducing it.

In your particular case though, we noticed a large number of Code Mining threads active, far more than there should be, and we wonder if your delays are actually being caused by this instead. Could you go to Preferences > Java > Editor > Code Minings and turn off the Show References and Show Implementations checkboxes. Restart your IDE and let us know if you still experience the issue.

If you still do, please let us know if your projects have the Spring facet enabled, by checking the Project Properties > Project Facets property page. Also, did you experience this issue with prior versions of MyEclipse?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Why does 'Restting Selection' take so long time(about 5 to 10min)?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in