facebook

Would like to see XSLT debugger and transformer integrated

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bsavardnok

Hi.

There seem to be only a few Eclipse-based XSLT debugger/transformers available and they’re much more expensive than MyEclipse. <oXygen/> looks the most promising but it’s $229/year with upgrades. That’s a lot considering that I’ve been spoiled by only having to pay $30/year for MyEclipse.

So, I’d like something simple(I think…): be able to specify the XSLT transformer to run and any post-processing like doing XSL:FO stuff for PDFs.

If debugging is a lot to ask, forget it. Just let me pick the XSLT transformer, click go, and see the output.

Thanks for your time and keep up the great work.

#247201 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I think we have this filed somewhere as an enhancement, I’ll add your comments to it.

#248486 Reply

tory

I am looking for the same thing. Having a plugin for eclipse that allows for XSLT/XPath development would be a huge plus. In the meantime, is there any GOOD open source plugins (for XSLT/Xpath) that anyone is aware of? I am interested in running a .xsl file against an .xml file and seeing the transformed document and/or being aware of the errors before I run the style sheet through the javax.xml.transform.Transformer.transform(Source xmlSource, Result outputTarget) method.

Thanks,

#248518 Reply

Riyad Kalla

tory I’m not aware of one at this time.

#250426 Reply

Tory,

xPath Explorer isn’t necessarily “good” but it does work and it is free. It allows you to test an Xpath expression against the current open XML document in Eclipse.

The URL is http://sourceforge.net/projects/xpe/

Other than that your only recourse is oXyGen (at least that I can think of), which is spendy, but it does XPath, XSLT, XQuery, schema, has a project-based UI, and desktop apps for Windows and OSX. It also has an Eclipse plugin that does everything the desktop app does.

It’s $180, however. The bright side of that price is the fact that you get a license key that allows you to run any of the platforms simultaneously… so they don’t differentiate between the plugin, the Windows app and the OSX app, nor do they restrict your use of the application. They have a 30-day demo.

Laterz,
    J

#250834 Reply

If I remember right, XMLBuddy Pro is about $30. It’s decent, and contains an XPath evaluator (which is why I bought it), but it’s another cost and it seems to interfere with other registered XML editors, especially the Ant editor. Consider this a +1 for at least an XPath evaluator in MyEclipse. A full XSLT dev stack would be great, too, but, in my experience, most of the difficulty in XSLT is getting the XPath right. And if it helps, I would consider paying another $10-$20 for an “XML/XSLT Development” package on top of the Standard and/or Pro subscription.

Eric

#251138 Reply

xeperno

If you don’t spending some money check out http://www.oxygenxml.com single license lets you use the stand alone version and the eclipse plugin version

#251256 Reply

If you don’t spending some money check out http://www.oxygenxml.com single license

It’s a great tool, and they have a Win and OSX standalone package in addition to the Eclipse plugin, so you’re pretty well covered no matter what you do. My problem with Oxygen is the fact that for one tool, for one subset of my professional life, doesn’t seem reasonable.

Then again, it’s not unreasonable to pay $1000 for a good printer or a nice monitor, so that’s probably not a fair statement. I think it’s partly that I’m independent, so $200 to edit XML seems like a major investment, especially since Oxygen does a whole lot that I don’t currently need and perhaps never will… still, it’s a nice, nice package.

The one thing that MyEclipse could do to make the XML editors as nice as the rest is, like cybermac912 says… add an XPath evaluator AND CODE FOLDING to the XML suite. That would actually make it closer.

#251263 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I think 2006 will be a good year for the editors, this initial refresh on WTP has caused a lot of regressions we fixed a while ago which is painstaking, but as they improve and stabalize and head towards 2.0, everyone can stop focusing on bugs and refactoring and just concentrate on features which is the whole idea behind the Eclipse platform to begin with.

#251996 Reply

boxhead

I would like to second the motion on XSLT editing. I am finding the MyEclipse is deficient in this space and I am now looking around for plugins to help me write/debug XSLT documents.

#254007 Reply

vjsitaram

Hi,

Please add my name to the list of people requesting XSLT / XPath development feature to MyEclipse. The problem with using other tools (other than the potential cost), is the lack of integration within a single IDE and having to learn / manage multiple projects.

Kind regards,

Vijay

#267782 Reply

Howard Vihon

I too would like to see an XSLT debugger directly in MyEclipse.

#308862 Reply

lhale
    Participant

So, it’s been over three years since requesters have asked for this feature. Would you care to inform us :

1) that it’s never going to happen
    2) There’s a wonderful plug-in called ___________ that you can use
    3) Next release
    4) Next major release and it’s going to cost you
    5) ____________________

thank you

#308886 Reply

support-joy

Guys,

I understand that there has been a request for XSLT debugger. Adding this feature is purely a management decision. Having said that I know that couple of our users were able to integrate oxygen plugin for eclipse to their MyEclipse profile.

Mentioned below are steps on how to add the oxygen plugin to your MyEclipse 8.5 profile. (Please note that this is based on http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-oxygenEclipse/installation-instructions.html )
    1. Open MyEclipse 8.5 IDE
    2. Click on Help > MyEclipse Configuration Center
    3. Select Software tab. Click on “Add Site” link
    4. Add the name of the plugin and update site as http://www.oxygenxml.com/InstData/Eclipse/site.xml
    5. This will list 1 managed change under “Pending Changes”
    6. Click on [Apply 1 change] this will open a wizard which will guide you through the rest of the steps.
    7. After installation, please restart your MyEclipse IDE

Hope this helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Would like to see XSLT debugger and transformer integrated

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in