We don’t often pat ourselves on the back, but we’d like to take this opportunity to walk down memory lane and highlight some of Genuitec's accomplishments over the past 8 years. We are reminded of just how far we've come and how much the company has grown, mainly thanks to you, our loyal customers.
On that note, here's a big "thank you" to our subscribers over the years. We know you have many choices for development tools. Thank you for choosing Genuitec products.
Starting in 2001, Genuitec founders re-branded the company (previously 'Working Objects') and changed the corporate mission based on the vision that software should be affordable to license and is simple and easy to use.
In 2002, the company released a series of Eclipse based plug-ins for IBM Websphere and within a year Genuitec experienced tremendous growth as downloads reached into the hundreds of thousands.
*2002: Spider-Man takes to the big screen*
In 2003, Genuitec released MyEclipse as the first low priced commercial J2EE IDE for Eclipse; it contained a handful of features and came with the commitment to deliver a complete and affordable development environment through rapid and iterative releases. Genuitec also joined the newly formed Eclipse Foundation as a board member.
In 2004, the company experienced another growth year as downloads for MyEclipse began to hit in the tens of thousands per month. Genuitec also became a co-founder in the release of the popular website Eclipse Plug-In Central.
*2004: Facebook goes online to students*
*2005: YouTube goes live*
In 2006, Genuitec partnered with Hitachi to deliver MyEclipse to the Japanese market. MyEclipse 5.0 was the first IDE to unify the Eclipse and Netbeans platforms by integrating the very popular Matisse4MyEclipse. Growth now was in the high hundreds of thousands users.
2007 was a marquee year for us; IDC independently identified MyEclipse as a classic disruptive innovation; we released MyEclipse 6.0 and introduce the world to two new technologies – Pulse and MyEclipse 'Blue Edition.'
Pulse is an enterprise-class platform that provides options to obtain, configure, manage and ship Eclipse-based products.
MyEclipse Blue Edition is a powerful IDE for IBM RAD and WebSphere developers that is priced 97 percent cheaper than competing products.
In 2008, our Pulse revolutionized enterprise software delivery with the release of “Private Label" and MyEclipse delivered new life for Eclipse Europa. MyEclipse officially hit over 1 million users worldwide and Genuitec took MyEclipse Blue Edition to 7.0.
*2008: 'Phoenix' spacecraft lands on the north pole of Mars*
Here we are in 2009 and so far so good. We’ve already released MyEclipse 7.5 and Blue Edition to our customers, upgraded Pulse to 2.4 and also introduced a new mobile Web technology called MobiOne.
Here are some overall "firsts" that our readers and users remember:
- First Eclipse-based IDE with low-cost, all-inclusive subscription pricing
- First source-level JSP debugger for Eclipse
- First public Eclipse rich-client platform (RCP) concept article in early 2002
- First commercial Eclipse RCP applications
- First and largest suite of server connectors
- First "hot sync" Java EE/J2EE application deployer
- First Web 2.0 / AJAX development environment
- First IDE to fully support Hibernate/Spring integration
- First full-featured image editor for Eclipse
- First IDE to integrate NetBeans features into Eclipse
- First to create platform-independent RCP applications with SNAPs
We’ve also won a few awards over the years, take a look:
- Best Java EE Application Development Framework
- Best Java Rich Client Platform
- Best Java Data Access Tool
- Best Java Database Tool or Driver
- Most Innovative Java Product
- Best Java IDE Environment
- Best Java Application
- Best Java Application
- Best Tool for Rich Internet Applications
- Best Java Debugging Tool
- Best Java Modeling Tool
- Best Java Webservice Toolkit
- Best Eclipse-Based Commercial Software Solution
** Awards between 2006 and 2008 from Eclipse Magazine and Java Developers' Journal
Thanks again to our users for a wonderful 8 years together and cheers to another 8 years to come!
Posted on Jun 11th 2009