facebook

How can I run my App offline?

1. MobiOne Archive
  2.  > 
  3. Getting Help – General
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

wob

Hi @all,

I have created al little App and I want to run it offline. I enabled the offline support “AppCache Support” in the Design Center. I load up the html-Data to my webspace and when I run the App, it will load all the images and files which are gathered in the manifest-file. Then the app runs smooth and fast. So far – so fine. But: after closing the app, all the data from the cache is cleared. The app will NOT work offline.
    When I start the App anew, it again takes 20 or more seconds to load the data before I can use the App.

Is there any chance to cache the App-data permanent in the iPhone?

Thanks for any help!

Wolfgang

#313760 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Hi Wolfgang,

I’ve asked one of our devs to help look at this problem. I will let you know what we find out.

Wayne
    Genuitec Mobile Team

#313854 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

MobiOne offline support is based on the HTML5 appcache spec. When you set the offline support property in the Design Center, MobiOne creates and maintains an appcache manifest file which must be included in your upload to your webserver. MobiOne manifest files are named with the pattern <yourdesignfilename>.manifest.

The additional requirement is that your webserver must be configured to serve manifest files with text/cache-manifest MIME type. See this Section 3 of this doc http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/. If the manifest file is returned with any other MIME type then no offline caching will not be performed.

Let me know if you need assistance configuring your webserver to return

Wayne
    Genuitec Mobile Team

#316059 Reply

@support-wayne wrote:

… The additional requirement is that your webserver must be configured to serve manifest files with text/cache-manifest MIME type. See this Section 3 of this doc http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/. If the manifest file is returned with any other MIME type then no offline caching will not be performed.

Let me know if you need assistance configuring your webserver to return

Wayne
    Genuitec Mobile Team

Hi Wayne,

First of all, I have started using this app for only 4 days and I absolutely love it!
    However, I am too having problems with the AppCache settings to run my app offline.

I have created my first web app at http://www.iphonestreetmagic.com/magic-box/magic-box-home.html

I have hosted my web app with Godaddy web hosting and I do not know how to configure the web server to return the correct MIME type. Should I contact the tech support of Godaddy to assist me? What should I tell him? Or is there something that I could do to resolve this issue. I really want my app to be able to run offline.

Best regards,
    Raymond

#316068 Reply

Hi Wayne,

I have managed to solved the offline cache problem!

What I did is to look for the .htaccess file in the web server and add the following line to it:
    AddType text/cache-manifest .manifest

I also have to first clear all the cache in Safari browser on my iPhone 4 (IOS4.3), restart my iPhone before I type in the URL to my app on Safari. You will see a “Updating” message on the screen. After that, choose “Add to Home Screen” and add the icon to your home screen springboard. Now put your phone in flight mode and launch your app. Your app is now avaliable for offline usage!

Cheers!
    Raymond Ee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: How can I run my App offline?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in