facebook

Fail to repaint/refresh Help window after lost focus

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

simon

After I selected from the menu Help->Help Contents to open up the Help window, if I clicked on another window to get on top of the Help window, and then go back to the Help window, the contents become unreadable. It seems the Help window did not get repainted. Is it a bug?

By the way, I am using a computer with a P4 1.5GHz processor and 1G memory. The OS is Windows 2000 Pro.

Thank you very much.

simon.

#197354 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Simon,

We weren’t able to replicate this behavior and have never seen it ourselves. The only time we’ve seen repaint problems with Eclipse is when the number of UI resource handles on the machine begin to become constrained. Since Eclipse uses native widgets, and Windows has a finite number of handles it can support, if you’ve been running Eclipse for extended periods we have seen it run out of handles before. In extreme cases it will even cause the workbench to shutdown. This is the only instance of repaint problems we’ve seen and can usually be corrected by restarting Eclipse and definately by rebooting if the problem becomes severe. It only takes one running application that doesn’t dispose of widgets properly to cause this; it doesn’t have to be Eclipse.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197357 Reply

simon

Well, I never close my IDE, as well as other tools. Anyway, I closed Eclipse and reopened it. Same problem. Funny thing is that, I installed MyEclipse on computer 2 and Eclipse 2.1 on computer 1. These two computers are almost identical system-wise. The Eclipse 2.1 on computer 1 has not been shut down for over 3 weeks. But I don’t have the repaint problem on the Help window there.

Anyhow, since these are development boxes, so God knows what software I have installed or what changes I have made that causes the problem. If you cannot reproduce the problem, that’s fine.

Thank you very much for your help.

simon.

#197358 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Simon,

If you never shut anything down, I’d try doing that and rebooting. If for no other reason, Java applications tend to gobble memory over time and will never give it back. You might find everything is a little “faster and better” after a reboot. Personally, I restart my Windows 2000 box about every couple of days just to clean things out. It’s still not Linux, you know. 😉

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Fail to repaint/refresh Help window after lost focus

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in