facebook

IDE comparison metrics

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Comments
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

itsavi007

Hello MyEclipse Team..

I have briefly used your product in the past (2 years back) and I thought it rocked. At my workplace, we have been using Eclipse and a bunch of other IDEs like IDEA etc.

We are looking to standardize and upper management requires a comparison matrix…where we pit each IDE against the other. Most likely, it will come down to Eclipse v/s myEclipse and I am looking for some literature on how your IDE features stack up against Eclipse ( considering that Eclipse now provides WTP, Visual Editor etc)… basically, something along the lines of, why one should go for MyEclipse and not just download the corresponding plugins for Eclipse. I would think that such a document would be there somewhere on your website but I am not able to find it.

– Also, could your team provide some information for each of the attributes in the comparison chart mentioned in this Inforworld article (pg 25)
    http://akamai.infoworld.com/pdf/special_report/2007/13SRjava.pdf

Thanks a lot and good luck.

#268709 Reply

Riyad Kalla

itsavi007,
    We appreciate you considering MyEclipse for deployment in your company. The fastest way to get up to speed on our tool will be to start with our feature matrix here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-15.html

And as to what we add ontop of Eclipse + WTP… use use Eclipse + WTP as our platform that we build on, so every other functionality we bring to the table like XFire WS client generation, web service generation, Hibernate + Spring integration, Hibernate and JPA reverse engineering, EJB3 reverse engineering, 30+ app server management and deployment support, Swing UI development using the much-famed Matisse designer inside of Eclipse, full DB Explorer visualization/editing/running and a list that goes on… I could think of *a lot* of reasons why MyEclipse is worth $30 more to you over the base Eclipse + WTP package.

But then again, I’m biased 🙂

The best way to do this evaluation, and the way we have seen a lot of our enterprise customers do it, is to choose 1 or 2 applications as models, and then work on them for 1 week apiece in each IDE and record your experience as you go. At the end of 2 or 3 weeks, depending on how many IDEs you are evaluating, sit down and compare your notes and see what you liked and disliked, get in contact with the vendors to address those questions and see what you think.

#276944 Reply

John-N

This message has not been recovered.

#276955 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This message has not been recovered.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: IDE comparison metrics

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in