facebook

Remove CodeMix Engine

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

cdjackson
    Participant

I’ve inadvertently installed codemix engine on a Mac through Eclipse. I’ve removed it from Eclipse, by going through the Eclipse | About Eclipse | Installation Details, and then removing all the codemix plugins I could find.

However, the CodeMix Engine is still installed on the Mac, and is registered as a default application for many file types. I would like to remove this, but the application is not found in any of the standard locations – please can someone advise how to completely remove this from my system.

Thanks.

#662506 Reply

support-swapna

Jackson,

Sorry that you are seeing this issue with CodeMix uninstall.
    You can also uninstall CodeMix from the Eclipse Marketplace. Go to Help > Install from Catalog, switch to the Installed tab in the Eclipse Marketplace dialog and check if CodeMix is still listed as Installed. If it is listed, then please click on ‘Uninstall’ and follow the wizard.

If that doesn’t help, then the brute force approach is to remove the com.genuitec.eclipse.code.* plugins from either the the Eclipse install directory under plugins (if installed from zip) or from ~/.p2/pool from user home (if installed using installer).

If you are still seeing the problem, then please share with us a screenshot of where you are still seeing CodeMix references along with the .log file located at workspace dir/.metadata/.log (rename the extension to .txt and attach it here).

Apologies for inconvenience caused.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662512 Reply

cdjackson
    Participant

Hi,
    I had tried the Marketplace link previously, but it does not show installed there now. I also checked the .p2 folder and it there is no genuitec folder there.

The issue is not within Eclipse – I seem to have been able to remove it from Eclipse. The issue is that Codemix has registered an external editor with the OS, so whenever I open certain file types within the OS, Codemix editor starts. Eg. whenever I double click on a .vue file from the Mac Finder application, I get the Codemix editor starting. I should note that it doesn’t even load the file I double clicked on – it’s just a blank editor so is totally useless.

I can of course change the default application, but I want to remove this application completely.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #662514 Reply

support-swapna

jackson,

Thank you for the screenshot.
    Can you please also share the exact version details of the MAC OS you are running?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662515 Reply

cdjackson
    Participant

The Mac is running Mojave 10.14.6

#662517 Reply

support-swapna

Jackson,

Thank you for the details.
    Ideally CodeMix does not register itself outside of the Eclipse IDE at OS level.

Do you remember registering it yourself for Vue files at OS level? Are you a long time user of CodeMix or did you install it only recently and decided to uninstall it?

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662519 Reply

cdjackson
    Participant

No – this was certainly not registered separately – only through Eclipse. I didn’t even know that the external CodeMix existed until it started being used to open many many different files and I’ve never used CodeMix before it offered to install through Eclipse.

In any case – how do I remove it? It does not seem to be registered with other standard applications in the Mac – it doesn’t seem to work properly, so it’s also unusable.

#662529 Reply

support-swapna

Jackson,

Can you please follow the steps suggested in this link to change the default editor? :
    https://www.imore.com/how-set-mac-app-default-when-opening-file

Please let us know how this works for you.

–Swapna
    Genuitec Support

#662531 Reply

cdjackson
    Participant

Yes, this is what I’ve done for many of the file types, however there are a lot of file types that CodeMix registered. However the main issue is that this doesn’t respond to the issue, as changing the default application to run when opening a file doesn’t remove CodeMix from my computer.

I would like to uninstall CodeMix from my computer – completely removing – not just stop it running when I open a file.

#662576 Reply

Aaron Lara

Hello! I’m sorry you are still having issues with CodeMix. Uninstalling CodeMix from Eclipse is usually enough to completely clean it up, but for some reason the “CodeMix Engine” executable seems to still be present in your system and, in addition to that, it looks like OSX detects it as a file editor. The executable itself is an auxiliary Code instance.

You could try to manually remove it. Depending on the version of CodeMix you were using and the type of Eclipse install, it could be located at:

Eclipse/plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.code.engine.app.macos_*
    <home>/.codemix-store/ or
    <home>/.p2/pool/plugins/

If you cannot find it in any of those places you can also try running the following commands in a terminal:
    sudo find /Applications -iname "CodeMix Engine.app"
    sudo find ~ -iname "CodeMix Engine.app" (this one to locate it in your home directory).

Once you have located the executable, you should be able to remove it. Hopefully that’s just enough for OSX to stop displaying it as default editor for your files.

Regards!
    Aaron Lara

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Remove CodeMix Engine

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in