Secure Delivery Center Upgrade Guide
Upgrading Secure Delivery Center (SDC) is a quick and easy process. This guide provides instructions on installing an update of the SDC delivery hub (server) software. This document guides you through:
- Updating the SDC Delivery Hub
- Updating the Admin Console
- Updating in Unattended Mode
1. Upgrade Overview
To upgrade the SDC delivery hub software, you must download the latest SDC installer and run it on your delivery hub machine. It takes only a few minutes to install. The following are things to note regarding the hub software upgrade.
- End users will not be affected during this time other than the SDC portal being unavailable during the delivery hub software update.
- Administrators will not be able to do any commits or promotes during hub software upgrade.
- When the hub software update is complete, a new Admin Console will be available for admins to install.
- A hub software update triggers all packages to be promoted so end users receive any in-product changes introduced by the upgrade.
On Linux servers, you can run the upgrade in an unattended mode. See Updating in Unattended Mode.
2. Update the SDC Delivery Hub
- Double-click the SDC installer file.
Note: If on Linux, you might need to make the .run file executable via chmod u+r server-installer.run (Replace server-installer.run with the name you have downloaded the SDC software install to.)
- Click Next to continue installation.
- Click Update Delivery Center Server.
Choosing the Upgrade option
- Click Next to view the license agreement and select the I Accept… checkbox.
- Click Next to install the software. When installation is complete, click Finish. The server (delivery hub) software starts automatically.
By default, the Display the Secure Delivery Center First Steps Help Page checkbox is selected. This opens the login page to the portal. Log in using an administrator login.
3. Update the Admin Console
During the delivery hub upgrade, a new Admin Console installer is built. If the Admin Console is open during the delivery hub upgrade, a notification appears that the hub (server) is unavailable. After the upgrade is complete and a new admin console is built, a notification popup indicates that there is a new admin console available. Admins can then begin the console update by clicking a link in the notification popup window.
Note: Admin Console installers are always available for download from the Administration page of the SDC portal.
- From the Admin Console, click the Install Now link in the notification popup window.
Expired console notification
- Click Next to continue, and click Upgrade.
Choosing the upgrade option
- Click Next view the license agreement.
- Select the I Accept… checkbox, and click Next.
- Click Finish to complete installation.
- Login to the Admin Console. The delivery hub software upgrade triggers packages to be promoted so end users receive in-product updates included in the upgrade.
Whether you initially installed your Delivery Hub using unattended mode or not, you can always perform upgrades using unattended mode. Additionally, if your Delivery Hub machine is not running a graphical user interface, you must perform the upgrade in unattended mode.
To use unattended mode, run the installer file from the command line with the following arguments:
--unattended <full path to your response file>
./secure-delivery-hub-2013-sr3-installer-linux.run --unattended /home/root/unattended.properties
If you initially installed your Delivery Hub using unattended mode you should use the same response file used to perform the installation. Since this file already contains the correct values, no additional configuration is needed to perform the upgrade. If you don’t have the original response file or if you initially installed the Delivery Hub using the wizard, you need to create this response file.
This response file contains responses to questions normally asked in the installer. Below is a sample of a server unattended installer response file. Please see the Installation Guide for a full explanation of the response file properties.
server.dir=/home/user/sdc/server server.data.dir=/home/user/sdc/data result.file=/home/user/sdc.result.txt admin.fullname=Administrator admin.password=abc123 admin.username=admin database.engine=BUNDLED server.hostname=sdc.mydomain.com server.install.as.service=false server.port=1305
Note: It is very important to respond to these questions using the values you used when initially installing the Delivery Hub, especially the “server.dir”, “server.data.dir”, “server.hostname” and “server.port”. If you fail to include a property or configure a property improperly, the installer indicates what the offending property is and the value it is expecting.