facebook

Add Spring + Hibernate support to MyEclipse?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

gbryal

I currently use Spring IDE with MyEclipse, but I’ve had to use the beta that handles the 1.1 dtd, and also had to disable a Spring DTD that comes with the webtools portion of Eclipse. I am not sure why that DTD is included in MyEclipse, but it kept overriding any DTD I had in the project. I eventually went to the filesystem and updated it by hand so I could use 1.1.3-specific Spring xml.

So my two cents is, whatever Spring support gets added to MyEclipseIDE should:
    a) Be current as of the the 1.1.x series.
    b) Not put any dtds where they can be picked up by a non-spring enabled project or by one using more recent dtds.

#223324 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is most likely due to it being in a) our XML Catalog and b) you using our XML editor. I will add your comments to our tracking system to see if we can’t make this a better marriage. I know we plan on supporting Spring in the future as you can see this is one of our most popular requests outstanding right now.

#225910 Reply

furriskey

+1 on Spring support.

I have only recently dowloaded ME, and think is is a great idea, what with the forest of plugins available for Eclipse.
    The only problem is that the two of the major components of my application are not yet supported by it : Spring and Tapestry 🙁
    (not to mention Groovy which I also use with the groovy-eclipse plugin.)

Tapesty is not a major problem, because I can use Spindle on top of ME. (Configuring a ME web enabled/spindle enabled project is less than intuitive mind you)

#225911 Reply

Riyad Kalla

1) Spring support will make it’s debut in 4.0 (April)

2) The author of Spindle and MyEclipse team is at EclipseCon right now, both with explicit instructions to hunt eachother down and talk for hours 😀

#227491 Reply

Paul
    Participant

Good news on Spring support in 4.0. Would you be able to tell us if its based on another plugin, and what? I’m curious what the features will be.

Gaijin now apparently supports Spring Web Flow: http://www.gaijin-studio.org/modules/news/

Screenshot: http://www.gaijin-studio.org/screenshots/webflow1.gif

#228007 Reply

cdutaret

Since Spring+Hibernate support wil only appear in 4.0, it would be a great idea to start with the latest available versions, namely Hibernate3.0 and Spring1.2, which will include Hibernate3.0 support (I think I read some posts here about Hibernate 3.0 support in ME not being planned yet).
    Of course, some ME users might still want to use Hibernate 2.1 with Spring, so the ideal option would be to support both version ranges (if it’s not too much additional work for you guys ;-).

Keep up with the excellent work.

#228918 Reply

mratcliffe

I also cast a vote for spring. In addition it would be nice to somehow get Matt Raibles Equinox incorporated.
    (or at least able to play together nicely)

This would really speed up devleopment process. He uses a spring-hibernate build from an ant build.xml file.
    Lots of good features.

#228945 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

I use an equinox originated project with MyEclipse and Spring IDE currently.

All you need to do is configure the Spring Beans nature of the project to have all applicationContext-*.xml in one config-set, and have action-servlet.xml AND all applicationContext-*.xml in another config-set.

Also you should remember, that the spring-bean files are revalidated upon saving that file to disk (file needs to be dirty upon pressing save), but not upon removing validation markers.

All ant tasks are possible to be carried out with the ant support in Eclipse itself, not that I needed that too much. Also you might want to do some cleanup in the libraries, equinox contains lots of libraries which you won’t use, e.g. it contains several caching libraries, and several connection pooling libraries, most of which you won’t ever use. Also you would not want to deploy ant and similar stuff with the web-app itself which are only needed for the ant commands themselves but not by the webapp.

The only problem is that whenever I save the bean xml file (or it might be any xml files, actually, but I am not sure), the editor cursor position moves to the beginning of the file which is VERY disturbing.

Regards,

Robert

#229447 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@silly robvarga, who did not install the QF2 patch, and did not check the existing bug reports… wrote:

The only problem is that whenever I save the bean xml file (or it might be any xml files, actually, but I am not sure), the editor cursor position moves to the beginning of the file which is VERY disturbing.

Ehhh… I did not have the QF2 patch installed at home. It corrects this… and it is out for more than 3 months now…

#231622 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

Another useful feature for integrating Spring & Hibernate support is to be able to use a bean definition of a SessionFactory bean defined in Spring configuration to be used for Hibernate query testing in the IDE.

#252446 Reply

MyEclipse IDE 5 includes an ‘Upgrade to Spring Framework 1.2.7 libraries’, but why not include Spring 2.0 as well, which will be final soon?

#252448 Reply

Riyad Kalla

but why not include Spring 2.0 as well, which will be final soon?

Because it’s not final yet and you’ll make our Spring team cry if you say that too loudly (Spring 2.0 support is being evaluated right now actually. If it requires too many changes it won’t be in 5.0 GA, but if it’s straight forward it will go into 5.0)

#252802 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@support-rkalla wrote:

but why not include Spring 2.0 as well, which will be final soon?

Because it’s not final yet and you’ll make our Spring team cry if you say that too loudly (Spring 2.0 support is being evaluated right now actually. If it requires too many changes it won’t be in 5.0 GA, but if it’s straight forward it will go into 5.0)

And how about 1.2.8 at least? 🙂

And how about making it possible to add/configure sources and javadocs to those libraries/library-sets/capabilities shipped by MyEclipseIDE which do not have one, so far?

Best regards,

Robert

#252806 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rob,
    1.2.8 is on the todo list for the 5.0M2 release.

Are you saying you cannot associate docs/source with the spring libraries or are you asking that we do it by default?

#252825 Reply

dsurber

I’ve had trouble connecting sources to MyEclipse installed components like Spring. First I have to find the right version of the sources. Not always easy. Then I to figure out a good place to put the sources. Generally I don’t want to up them in my project because I don’t want to build the component. And it is a pain to do for each MyEclipse installed component. The only reason not to include the sources is the download time. If necessary, make it a separate download that installs itself so that MyEclipse can use it.

Half the point of open source is to be able to read the source. I can’t read sources I don’t have.

Thanks.

PS. Take another look at AppFuse. File>New>Project>AppFuse would be a huge win.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
Reply To: Add Spring + Hibernate support to MyEclipse?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in