facebook

Adding EJB support to an existing project?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have a project without EJB support in it. Can I ask MyEclipse to add EJB capabilities to it (like the add struts/hibernate/web capabilities function)?

How?

Thanks,

L

#219758 Reply

Riyad Kalla

L,
    EJB ‘support’ is actually done via a completely separate project type… can you create a new EJB project and drag/drop your artifacts from the previous project into it? If you need Web Capabilities available on the first project, maybe this is a situation where the project can be broken into two projects? 1 Web and 1 EJB then packaged with 1 Enterprise Project and deployed?

#222831 Reply

rjst

Hi,

I have the same question. I have a web project (existing project where I added web capabilities).
    If I do the above (copy to a EJB project), will I loose the web capabilities ?

thanks
    Ricardo

#222832 Reply

rjst

another similar question, if I want to turn my web project into a enterprise project, how can I do it ?
    even if it can’t be done via the gui, there is probably some file editing that can acomplish it, is it documented ?

thanks
    Ricardo

#222835 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ricardo,
    I would encourage you to read our appropriate documentation here to get farmiliar with how ME treats its projects: http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-67.html

Java Projects (Libraries), Web Projects (Web Applications) and EJB Projects (EJBs) are 3 different types of projects that can ALL be packaged under a parent Enterprise App Project as modules. Your Web and EJB Projects can make use of any Java Projects (as a Library) as well. You wouldn’t necessarily want to copy a Web project into a EJB project just for kicks, but if you had EJBs as part of your web project, you may consider breaking them out into another Project.

If you read the docs it will give you an idea of how all this relates, I hope my description has given you a 10k foot view of the relationship though so its a bit more clear.

#222860 Reply

rjst

Ok, I understand. So if I have ejbs and jsp,etc.. I should break them into two separate projects. I have no problem with that. Just to make sure, is it the only way ?

I have another problem that could be related to that, I’m trying to use the smart deployment features, using some classes that are in my ejb project, and myeclipse isn’t working (see my bug report “Smart deployment doesn’t work”). I’m starting to suspect that it’s beacuse it’s an ejb project.

I think it would make sense (as roadmap) for a project to have all the abilities (EJB, web, enterprise), and for one project to have multiple deployments. I’m breaking up my projects just to use myeclipse, which doesn’t make a lot of sense.

thanks
    Ricardo

#222865 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ok, I understand. So if I have ejbs and jsp,etc.. I should break them into two separate projects

Bingo

is it the only way ?

A lot of the ‘breaking apart’ that MyEclipse asks you to do is for the benefit of automatic deployment, if you don’t use deployment at all and have your own custom Ant script and don’t want to do debugging or any of the integrated functionalities like that, let’s say you JUST want autocomplete during development, then you could put everything into a single Web Project if you liked. But if you want all the nice autopacking during deployment debugging support and all that, then yes we ask that Web Projects and EJB Projects be kept separate.

I have another problem that could be related to that, I’m trying to use the smart deployment features, using some classes that are in my ejb project, and myeclipse isn’t working (see my bug report “Smart deployment doesn’t work”). I’m starting to suspect that it’s beacuse it’s an ejb project.

I answered in the other thread. You might want to read our Enterprise App Project quickstart guide under the Documentation section to get an idea of how ME works. You just need to combine the Web and EJB projects under a Enterprise App Project for deployment; it will handle packaging/deploying them, you don’t individually deploy the web or ejb project by itself anymore.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Adding EJB support to an existing project?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in