facebook

After installation on Mac OS X, where is MyEclipse? [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

pcalver

Hi,
    I have JDK 1.4.1 and a fresh installation of Eclipse 2.1.1. I installed MyEclipse and it seems to go smoothly. I select the Applications/eclipse directory using the file browser, and let the installer use its default choice for myEclipse. When I finish, the files are installed in the Applications/MyEclipse directory, with eclipse and MyEclipse-Uninstaller Data subdirectories, but no executable file. Where is it? How do I activate the program?
    Thanks,
    Preston Calvert

#198343 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Preston,

First, please be sure that you only use JDK 1.3.1 to launch Eclipse as this is the only version upon which Eclipse (and MyEclipse) are tested. You may use 1.4.1 to launch your servers, if you like, but not Eclipse itself as there are known issues.

Where is it? How do I activate the program?

MyEclipse installs as a product extension to Eclipse so it doesn’t have its own executable. Simply run Eclipse, as you did before (with JDK 1.3.1), and MyEclipse will be activated.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#198500 Reply

possen

I am having a similar problem also on OSX, I installed a fresh Eclipse 2.1.1, installed JDT, then MyEclipse. It says in the instructions, that when you start Eclipse it will ask you to install the new components but this never happens. It seems to be half installed, I get some of the menus but none of the added editors, wizards. When I look under installed updates I see a package but there is nothing under it like the JDT plugins. I am sure it is running Java 1.3.1 (even though 1.4.1 is installed) because that is what is in the info.plist resource inside the Eclipse.app package and I am not overriding it in anyway.

#198504 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I am having a similar problem also on OSX, I installed a fresh Eclipse 2.1.1, installed JDT, then MyEclipse

Based on this, you’re installing the Eclipse platform, then the JDT. This is insufficient to run MyEclipse. You need to install the complete Eclipse distribution, which includes the PDE, not any of the smaller distributions. If you’ll download the entire distribution from the Eclipse.org main download site, and install according to their instructions, you should be fine. Once that’s done, simply install MyEclipse on this new, complete Eclipse distribution.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#198508 Reply

pcalver

Well,
    I think I’ve done this correctly, and what I am not sure of is how I know that MyEclipse is present and running when I have Eclipse open?

Can you give me a method to determine if the installation was successful and MyEclipse is present. What should I see to tell me that?

Thanks,
    Preston Calvert

#198512 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Preston,

Just the fact that you installed Eclipse separately from the JDT tells me that you’re going to have problems. However, to verify that MyEclipse is installed, simply start Eclipse and navigate to Help > About Eclipse Platform. Then, press the MyEclipse icon and it should show you all of the installed features for MyEclipse.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#198515 Reply

pcalver

Okay,
    I removed both my Eclipse and MyEclipse folders, then did a fresh download and install of the full Eclipse 2.1.1 and MyEclipse. That worked great. Now I see the MyEclipse menu item on the top menu in Eclipse, and find the Eclipse options in the Preferences. I still think the instructions for installation of MyEclipse in the installation wizard might benefit from a little clarification for Mac users.
    Thanks, I’ll work with it now.
    Preston Calvert 8)

#198516 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Preston,

Glad to hear you’re up and running. You’re certainly correct that a little more detail around the Mac installation would be in order. The installer has the same text for all platforms and as such sufferes from a little bit of LCD. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#198520 Reply

possen

I also got it working. Now that works I am quite impressed with MyEclipse. Thank you. As a suggestion, it would be nice if MyEclipse could report some sort of error if you don’t have the right version or all the right stuff.

#198524 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

As a suggestion, it would be nice if MyEclipse could report some sort of error if you don’t have the right version or all the right stuff.

Good suggestion. I know the 2.6.2 installer checks for the correct version of Eclipse, all of them are tagged the same way whether they’re the full installation or not. I’ll suggest to the installer team that they look for the existance of one of the PDE directories or something to ensure that the “full” release is installed.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: After installation on Mac OS X, where is MyEclipse? [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in