facebook

Allowing Connections Issue on Mac

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mork
    Participant

Please check the attached screenshot.

On the Mac, the “usual” solution to this issue is to go into the Firewall area of System Preferences and click “Allow” for myeclipse.app.

Having already made sure that the “myeclipse.app” was in the firewall preferences pane already with “Allow” and also after trying to remove the entry from the firewall preferences and re-adding it several times (while starting MyEclipse each time for a test), I realize this is most likely an issue, probably minor, with MyEclipse.

I had seen this problem occur with another company and they had to refine something internally so this error would not show up every time the product started.

Please see if you can reproduce this issue (on a mac, of course) 🙂

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,

– m

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Mork.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Mork.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #393994 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Jim,

An interesting issue! At first, I couldn’t replicate it, after adding a firewall entry for MyEclipse specifically. However, at subsequent restarts of MyEclipse, I could replicate it consistently. After adding various executables down the MyEclipse application folders, I still got the pop-up.

It doesn’t appear to be a MyEclipse specific problem as a user here says it happens for several programs (including eclipse in some cases). I tried one suggestion there, about deleting Info.plist files (there are two such files, one in the package contents of the top level app and one in the package contents of the app within the profile folder – see here for a bit more info on finding files). It didn’t seem to work, so I restored the files (one had to be restored manually).

After restoring the Info.plist files, I restarted MyEclipse and got a different dialog (see attached screenshot). After clicking Allow, MyEclipse started and I didn’t get the firewall pop-up. Next time, I clicked Always Allow and, thereafter, never got the firewall pop-up.

The external post I linked to also mentioned a way to sign the app, to prevent the pop-ups but I haven’t been able to try that yet. We’ll look into this further, though it’s not clear that it’s a MyEclipse specific issue.

Let us know if any of the above is helpful.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #394000 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Interesting. Sadly none of these worked for me.

None of these gymnastics should be necessary. 🙂

In my case, after removing the plist in contents, MyEclipse would not start even after I put it back. I had to re-download and run the repair option.

I also tried removing the plist file higher up in the package contents.

I did have an eclipse.org entry in my local ~/Library/caches, but not in either of the other two.

Since this issue doesn’t happen in any other software I use on my Mac (this same issue happened in another program in its last version and the company had to create a special release to address it), it must be something related to MyEclipse, but not a bug per se.

Appreciate your help.

— M

#394080 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Jim,

You’re right, these tricks shouldn’t be needed but it does seem that there are other pieces of software that exhibit this behavior, so it’s not unique to MyEclipse but some software configuration issue.

I’m sorry that the suggestions didn’t work for you and that you needed to repair MyEclipse; I don’t know why it was OK for me.

Anyway, we’ll continue looking into this and will let you know when we have a solution.

#394235 Reply

support-tony
    Keymaster

Jim,

I did manage to stop the pop-ups (after the second launch of MyEclipse), using an answer in that link I posted earlier. I had to sign myeclipse.app (in the Contents/Profile folder of the main MyEclipse 2015.app). Some XCode tools are needed.

We’ll be seeing what we can do to avoid this manual setup.

#394239 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Thanks for your excellent follow up.

As you indicated, having to sign the app shouldn’t be necessary.

Hope this is an easy thing to fix on your side. 🙂

– m

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Allowing Connections Issue on Mac

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in