facebook

Application Startup takes 15 minutes or more…

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Spring Development
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jamie Daniel

This is a followup from a previous question unanswered.

I deploy a scaffolded application and it takes 15 minutes or more, to start the application etc.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks,
    Jamie

#307901 Reply

Jamie Daniel

I should have stated that this is Tomcat 6.0.20 with nothing else running on the server.

#307946 Reply

Heflin Hogan

What kind of start-up options does the Tomcat instance have?

#307954 Reply

Jamie Daniel

Standard out of the box. Nothing special, nothing changed.

#308001 Reply

Heflin Hogan

I think looking at the memory settings for the tomcat instance would be a good place to start. You may want to increase max heap and max perm space to start with. A 15 minute start-up time is excessive, and we haven’t seen anything like that in testing. Even on our older, more constrained test platforms it’s rare to see start-up take more than a minute or two. It would be helpful if we had a more complete picture of your environment and how you are deploying. For instance, I can’t tell if the tomcat instance is on a separate physical or virtual machine, or whether you just meant that there were no other apps running on it. The more thorough your description, the easier time we have of making a diagnosis.

Regards,
    Heflin

#308002 Reply

Jamie Daniel

Tomcat 6.0.20 is running on my local machine controlled by MyEclipse.

There are no other applications running on the Tomcat server.

I will make the changes to the max heap and max perm space to see if it makes a difference with the application.

More to follow…

J

#309385 Reply

Jamie Daniel

Still have this issue with 8.6M1 build.

Any ideas why the application takes so long to deploy?

Thanks,
    J

#309387 Reply

neyde

@jamiedaniel wrote:

Any ideas why the application takes so long to deploy?

The log file or console should provide a good hint. Are you saying it take’s 15 minutes from Tomcat startup to application(s) deployed and Tomcat initialized? How many applications are being deployed? From the timestamps in the log file, where is the greatest time being spent?

#309405 Reply

Heflin Hogan

You can also use the VisualVM profiler during launch. On the Profile As-> Profile Configurations, select the Performance tab under Profile and check the “Profile underlying framework startup” box.

In addition to Niel’s questions, I’d be interested to know what the underlying hardware specs for the machine are, and whether you’ve tried deploying elsewhere with the same results.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Application Startup takes 15 minutes or more…

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in