facebook

arbitrary number of application servers of the same type

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Robert Varga
    Participant

Hi All,

it has been a long-standing feature request I believe, to be able to have multiple application servers of the same type configured for MyEclipse to start and stop.

Yes, I know it can be somewhat worked around by using a different version of certain app servers but then it takes away that server type.

I know it is also somewhat supported by being able to deploy to a custom location, but it is still not the same as running the application server from inside (My)Eclipse.

The best possible user experience would be provided by having an arbitrary number of application servers of each type configurable in the preferences screen, each with its own identifying name and configuration attributes on its own.

Then the start stop button to have a submenu for each application server of the same type within the application server type submenu, and a start/stop/restart item directly beside the individual server submenus to start/stop/restart the most recently started/stopped server if there was one since starting Eclipse.

It would also be nice if you would be able to have a Servers submenu in the MyEclipse context menu on the project node containing a separate submenu for each server to which the project is deployed to from which you can individually start/stop/restart the respective servers.
    Also, there could be the context menu items for start/stop/restart beside the individual server submenus which would start/stop/restart the most recently started/stopped server, or if there is only one server configured for the application then that one even if it was not touched since starting Eclipse.

You could also add a connect with remote debug menu item which would connect to the respective server with the debugger classpath and other entries properly configured according to the server settings and project settings.

Best regards,

Robert

#279840 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Robert,
    Have you tried using the “Create Launch Configuration” button under the “Launch” settings for each connector? The connector will generate an actual Launch Configuration for you that you can manage from the standard Run and Debug menus, set all the params you want, and have as many as you want.

THe only shortcoming right now, is that it’s not integrated into the “Servers” view and you have to setup “Custom Location” deployments to deploy to those dirs manually.

#279855 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

Hi Riyad,

I haven’t tried the Create launch configuration, but the point was the integration with the Servers view and with the Project deployments and that it should track whether the server is already running or not.

Btw, is there some documentation for the two kinds of Custom location combo box items, and what I need to specify for each of them (the root directory or the webapps directory, or a directory under the webapps, etc….)?

Thanks and best regards,

Robert

#279884 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Robert,
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

As for the custom location deployments, there aren’t docs to point you two, but they are:
    * Custom Loc: Total control over the *exact* dir you want to deploy to. If you say C:\Blarg, then C:\Blarg will contain your deployed project.
    * Suffixed: This is here because some app servers (JBoss) require a dir to be named with the suffix of the type of module it is for it to see/load it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: arbitrary number of application servers of the same type

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in