facebook

Bug database visibility

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

This is not a bug report per se, but a bug-related request. Sorry if this should go in a different forum or has been commented on before.

One thing I don’t like about the MyEclipse community is that the bug reporting and fixing process does not provide any visibility to the outside world. When I report a bug in this forum (or another), it appears to get “filed” behind the scenes by the support techs that monitor the forums. Presumably, this means it was entered into a bug-tracking system that Genuitec maintains in-house. Additional comments to the forum post are also sometimes added to the bug report, again by the support tech. The problem with this process is that customers aren’t able to see where their bugs fall in the queue, and can’t provide input as to which bugs are most important to them.

To give customers more visibility into the process, I would like to see, at a minimum, the following:

1. A link to the bug database on the myeclipseide.com website
    2. The ability for the public to search and view the database
    3. The ability for paying subscribers to vote for bugs or comment on how they are affected by the bug
    4. A “roadmap” that shows exactly which bugs are planned for a particular release

Creating bug reports directly in the bug system would be a plus, but I know there are some issues with this. I’d be comfortable with using this forum to report bugs, then letting a support tech enter a bug into the bug system (if not already there), and posting a link to the report in the forum topic.

Of course, I don’t know what system you track MyEclipse bugs with. Most of the larger ones have a web interface out of the box, but this may not be the case with your product. Migrating to a different package or bolting on a web interface would be a large undertaking and maybe not one you’re ready to deal with right now. However, I think a system like this fits in with the “customer-driven” mantra of MyEclipse. What do the MyEclipse folks think? Do other users have similar feelings?

Thanks for listening
    – Eric

#258483 Reply

becogent

Quite agree with all of that. Especially as the vast majority of the customers are developers themselves.

#259332 Reply

This would be a great enhancement. Please make it come true 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Bug database visibility

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in