facebook

Can I install 2.6.4 on IBM WSAD 5.1 ?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

dombat

I’d like to know if I can install MyEclipse 2.6.4 on IBM Websphere Studio Application Developer 5.1.

Dom

#199854 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Dom,

Well, in theory, yes. But we haven’t done it. It’s been on our “to do” list, but hasn’t really been “to done” at this point. Since WSAD 5.1 is an Eclipse 2.1-based product, and MyEclipse is designed as a product extension to any Eclipse 2.1-based product it should work fine. However, having never done it myself I can’ really endorse or recommend it at this point. If you’re feeling particularly bold and want to try it anyway, please let us know how it goes. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199857 Reply

dombat

Ok Scott, I’ll give it a try this week-end 😉

Dom

#199887 Reply

jcorbin4607

My only concern with this idea is that IBM has a lot of customization of Eclipse so it may not be that simple. Be careful. WSAD5.1 is a touchy beast.

–JD
    Not MyEclipse Support

#199939 Reply

dbaptist

Dom,

Did you have any luck with this? I tried this myself last week, and the installation went alright. Everything seems okay, but when I try to deploy an EJB project, the MyEclipse context-menu does not offer this option.

Thanks,
    Diego

#199942 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Are you trying to deploy a WSAD J2EE project?

If yes, know that MyEclipse J2EE projects and WSAD projects are not interchangable. We (Genuitec) developed a product known as the Weblogic Integration Kit for WSAD that provided us much experience in what it takes to introduce this compatibility. This has led to discussions for a MyEclipse for WSAD product sometime next year. Of course the project models would need to be compatible for such a product.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#199943 Reply

dbaptist

Yes, it is a WSAD J2EE project. The problem we have is that our project is currently entirely IBM-oriented (ie. IBM WAS 4, using WSAD 5.1). However, we’re getting requests to deploy the project on Oracle 9iAS and maybe other application servers as well. So I’m looking into options to be able to deploy the project to Oracle, without having to switch IDE. Migrating IDE every time you have to deploy to another application server is not feasible as you can imagine.

#199945 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Diego,

Like Michael said, we’ll be looking into providing a special version of MyEclipse for WSAD next year. Until then I think the best you can do is set up parallel MyEclipse projects and use WSAD to develop for WebSphere using IBM’s project structure and then move the code to the parallel MyEclipse projects to deploy and test all the other servers you’d like to support.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199988 Reply

dbaptist

Scott, thanks for your reply. If you have an estimate on when this version will be available, please let me know.

In the meanwhile, i’ve set up Eclipse 2.1.2 and installed MyEclipse on it. I’ve been playing around with it a bit and am trying to get a simple J2EE project deployed on WebSphere. For CMP fields entity beans, WebSphere uses a “strange” mapping mechanism (through Map.mapxmi). I created the mapping on a CMP field and ran XDoclet … however this Map.mapxmi file does not get generated. Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks.

Diego

#199990 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Diego,

Developing for WebSphere is quite a bit different than it is for any of the other application servers. Personally, although I have a lot of hands-on consulting experience with most of the other servers, my WebSphere experience is several years old at this point. About the best I can suggest is to ensure that your ejbdoclet is set to generate entity beans and that you review the XDoclet tags for websphere at http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/tags/ibm-tags.html.

Really though, since you already have WSAD I’d suggest continuing to use it for WebSphere development since it is customized heavily for just this purpose. When you application gets to a checkpoint, you can then use your MyEclipse environment to generate deployment descriptors and test the port to other servers. Bear in mind, however, that each server handles CMP a bit differently and have their own query language extensions.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200014 Reply

dombat

Diego

I’ve imported an Eclipse 2.1.1 and MyElipse 2.6.4 project (ejb and web) into WSAD 5.1, and deployed and run in JBoss 3.2.2 with only one trouble during compilation: I’ve got to use a Sun j2sdk (1.4.2_02) instead of the WSAD jdk.

Dom

#200226 Reply

John Walsh
    Participant

Hi all,

I too am looking into trying to use XDoclet to generate the various deployment descriptors for Websphere 4.0.3. There are several generated by XDoclet using the @Websphere tasks however, the mapping file is not generated. However, I’m not sure that we need it to be. The ejb-jar.xml defines the CMP fields for each entity bean. These then need to be related to the actual fields in the DB somehow. This is where the Schema.dbxmi file comes into play. This file maps entity beans to the database schema. It looks like you don’t actually need the map.mapxmi file. I think that this may only be used to facilitate the GUI of the mapping editor and the generation of the Schema file by WSAD. I could be wrong though.

Here’s a URL to some info about these files that IBM has on their site:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v40/ae/infocenter/was/0606001503_teschema.html

I haven’t gotten to the stage of actually getting this working yet but I think I’m getting closer! (Is that a light at the end of the tunnel?)

One thing I have noticed is that it looks like you need to keep your entity bean implementation class named the same as the actualy table. I have always used the convention of tacking on ‘Bean’ to the implementation class, eg, AccountBean. But after looking at what is getting generated, I think I need to rename the bean class to just Account. I guess this may be in keeping with the idea of it representing the actual entity!

Hope some of this helps and I would love to hear back from anyone else who gets this to work.

Cheers

John

@dbaptist wrote:

Scott, thanks for your reply. If you have an estimate on when this version will be available, please let me know.

In the meanwhile, i’ve set up Eclipse 2.1.2 and installed MyEclipse on it. I’ve been playing around with it a bit and am trying to get a simple J2EE project deployed on WebSphere. For CMP fields entity beans, WebSphere uses a “strange” mapping mechanism (through Map.mapxmi). I created the mapping on a CMP field and ran XDoclet … however this Map.mapxmi file does not get generated. Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks.

Diego

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Can I install 2.6.4 on IBM WSAD 5.1 ?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in