facebook

Can’t launch Tomcat from Eclipse [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Susana

Using Windows XP with Tomcat 4.1.24, Java1.2.4, eclipse 2.11, myeclipse 2.5.1, struts 1.1, when I try to launch Tomcat from the myeclipse menu item “Tomcat 4->>start” nothing happens, no message in the console, no sign of activity at all. I was following the HelloWorld example. What am I doing wrong?
    🙁

Thanks

Susana.

#197393 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Susana,

A couple of questions. I assume you mean Eclipse 2.1.1. Is it a clean installation without any external plugins? Can you provide the build id for it (Help > About Eclipse Platform). If you count the number of plugins in your Eclipse installation that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*, how many do you see? How did you configure the Tomcat connector? Did you specify a full JDK on its JDK page? Have you previously modified the Tomcat server configuration file? Are there any entries in the Eclipse log file (<workspace>/.metadata/.log)?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197394 Reply

Susana

Yes, Eclipse 2.1.1.

About Eclipse Platform:
    Version: 2.1.1
    Build id: 200306271545

Plugins starting with org.eclipse.pde*: 3
    org.eclipse.pde
    org.eclipse.pde.source
    org.eclipse.pde.doc.user

Tomcat connector:
    Yes I pointed to the JDK not the JRE.
    I install a new Tomcat, previously I had the Tomcat 4.0.6, then I installed the Tomcat 4.1.24 in case that was the cause of the problem.

Eclipse log file: NO

Thanks.

Susana.[/quote]

#197395 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Susana,

Problem solved. You’re running a “slimmed down” version of Eclipse 2.1.1. The “real” version has 7 PDE plugins; you’ve got something like the JDT release. You can find a link to the full release on the downloads section of our website to make sure you get the right version. Once you install it and point MyEclipse to it you should be fine. Basically, some of the functionality that’s supposed to be in there just isn’t.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197402 Reply

Susana

Scott,
    If I click the Plug-ins push button of About Eclipse Platform dialog, then I see only three org.eclipse.pde* , but If I go to Windows-Preferences menu item and select Plug-in Development — Target Platform, then I see 7 org.eclipse.pde*. So do you still think this is a problem of version of eclipse?

Thanks.

Susana.

#197404 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Susana,

Windows-Preferences menu item and select Plug-in Development — Target Platform, then I see 7 org.eclipse.pde*. So do you still think this is a problem of version of eclipse?

No, that is the correct version. When I asked you to count them, I should’ve been clearer where you should look. I’ll try to be more specific in the future. 😉

Using Windows XP with Tomcat 4.1.24, Java1.2.4, eclipse 2.11, myeclipse 2.5.1, struts 1.1

This is either a very old version of Java (1.2.4 as stated), or the latest one with a transposition (1.4.2). I assume you meant 1.4.2. If that’s the case, there have been a few problems reported with the interactions between Eclipse 2.1.1 and JDK 1.4.2. And it has to do with debugger interactions. We test on your exact configuration, but with JDK 1.4.1_03. Could you download the latest version of JDK 1.4.1 and use it to both launch Eclipse and run Tomcat and see if your results change?

Eclipse log file: NO

That’s truly remarkable. Something should certainly be in the log. Please verify that you have XP configured to ‘Show all files’ and do not ‘Hide Extensions for Known File Types’ in the Explorer. While Eclipse is running, is there a .lock file in the <workspace>/.metadata directory? Of course, XP probably doesn’t know this extention so it may show up in spite of your settings. If the Explorer is configured in it’s default configuration, the .log file may look like an empty file name with a hidden extension, or just ‘.’, instead.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197435 Reply

Susana

I have installed the java 1.4.2 and then I tried to start the Tomcat 4.1.24 from Eclipse but nothing happened.

Then I checked the log file, yes I have a log file and this is what I have ( I deleted the previous one so the dumped data was the result of simply click on the menu item “start” from the myeclipse menu icon in eclipse.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 Jul 31, 2003 17:03:47.594
    !MESSAGE Unhandled exception caught in event loop.
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 Jul 31, 2003 17:03:47.604
    !MESSAGE com/genuitec/eclipse/easie/tomcat/C.ā
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.AbstractMethodError: com/genuitec/eclipse/easie/tomcat/C.ā
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.C.ā(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.core.ui.action.ServerStartAction.basicRun(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.action.LicenseValidatingAction.run(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ui.action.LicenseValidatingAction.runWithEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:456)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:403)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$0(ActionContributionItem.java:397)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ActionListener.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:72)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java(Compiled Code))
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java(Compiled Code))
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java(Compiled Code))
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java(Compiled Code))
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java(Compiled Code))
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
    at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)

Could you explain to me the meaning of those errors?

Thanks.

Susana.

#197438 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Susana,

We’ve configured a machine with the exact configuration you’re reporting: Win XP, Eclipse 2.1.1, JDK 1.4.2, ME 2.1.1, Tomcat 4.1.24, but were unable to replicate this problem. Everything worked correctly.

It’s truly peculiar though. Here are the class comments from AbstractMethodError:

Thrown when an application tries to call an abstract method.
    Normally, this error is caught by the compiler; this error can
    only occur at run time if the definition of some class has
    incompatibly changed since the currently executing method was last
    compiled.

So, we have a problem that should’ve been caught by the compiler showing up at runtime. However, this problem can’t be replicated on any other installation which leads us to believe that the problem is unique to your configuration, for some reason.

To recap, you’ve got a clean Eclipse 2.1.1 installation with no external plugins. You’ve installed MyEclipse 2.5.1 on it and are running both the workbench and Tomcat with JDK 1.4.2 on Windows XP. At this point, all we can suggest is to start changing things in your environment. Does the problem persist after a clean reboot? When you open a command shell and type ‘java -version’ what do you get? Perhaps the version of Java that you’re running Eclipse with is old? It must be at least JDK 1.3.1 for Eclipse to function properly.

Have you tried JDK 1.4.1? JDK 1.4.2 and Eclipse 2.1.1 are both very new and although no problems like this have been reported there may be some sort of issue there. Changing to either JDK 1.4.1 or Eclipse 2.1.0 may rectify the problem.

I wish there we could give you better guidance, but without being able to replicate the problem using the exact configuration, we’re at a bit of a loss.

Please let us know if you determine what the cause is or how to work around it.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197446 Reply

Susana

Scott,
    Well it is working now!! What did I do?
    Well after your message I installed eclipse 2.1.0 although I kept java 1.4.2. I tried again and it didn’t work.
    Then I tried the java -version in the console and to my surprise it was taking the IBM java 1.3.0 instead of the Sun 1.4.2. I checked the JAVA_HOME and the system paths and everything was pointing to the right place. Then I made a search for java.exe in my computer and there was an extra java.exe in the system/windows32 directory with the same size and date that the IBM 1.3.0. I have no idea how that java.exe ended up in that directory but it looked the installation of the IBM version made a copy in the system dir. Then I deleted that java exe from the system dir and retried the java -version in the prompt and this time it run the right version.
    Then I tried again to start Tomcat from the eclipse, recreating the Helloworld application from scratch, but it didn’t work.
    Then I observe there was a file called “null” insided the myeclipse dir with log data indicating a search of the VM in the computer, and applying an order criteria ended up selecting the IBM 1.3.0 and adding to the classpath in memory. Do you have any idea why the java VM is searched that way and not based on JAVA_HOME and system paths?
    Well , after that I uninstalled myeclipse and eclipse 2.1.1 and installed eclipse 2.1.0 and reinstalled myeclipse 2.5.1.
    Then I created again the HelloWorld app and this time it WORKED!!!.
    😀 😀 😀
    There is still a “null” file that displays the search of VM in the system that I include below ( unfortunately I don’t have the “null” file when it didn’t work). Thanks a lot for your help, and please if you can give me some info about the “null” file.

looking in C:\Program Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin
    looking in C:\Program Files\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin
    looking in C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\bin
    Found: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\bin\java.exe
    Found: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\bin\javaw.exe
    looking in C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin
    Found: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\java.exe
    Found: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    …Finished searching through the registry for VMs
    Searching through the path for VMs…
    Looking in c:\sybase\CFG-1_0\bin
    Looking in c:\sybase\OCS-12_5\dll
    Looking in c:\sybase\OCS-12_5\lib3p
    Looking in c:\sybase\OCS-12_5\bin
    Looking in c:\sybase\ASE-12_5\dll
    Looking in c:\sybase\ASE-12_5\bin
    Looking in C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\jre.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\jrew.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wjview.exe
    Looking in C:\WINDOWS
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\java.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\javaw.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\jre.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Ignoring ‘C:\WINDOWS\jrew.exe’ because it is in a Windows System Directory.
    Looking in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    Looking in c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MGISHA~1\Video
    Looking in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\System
    Looking in C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin
    Found: C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\java.exe
    Found: C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe
    Looking in c:\sybase\SQLRemote\dll
    …Finished searching through the path for VMs
    ORDERING VMS
    1: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wjview.exe (in path)
    2: C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\java.exe (in path)
    3: C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe (in path)
    4: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\bin\java.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java Development Kit\1.3)
    5: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\bin\javaw.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java Development Kit\1.3)
    6: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\java.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java Plug-in\1.3)
    7: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\javaw.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java Plug-in\1.3)
    8: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\java.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java Plug-in\1.3.0_01)
    9: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\javaw.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java Plug-in\1.3.0_01)
    10: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\java.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java2 Runtime Environment\1.3)
    11: C:\Program Files\IBM\Java13\jre\bin\javaw.exe (in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\Java2 Runtime Environment\1.3)
    Searching for gui vm.
    lax.nl.valid.vm.list=J2
    lax.nl.current.vm=.
    was not a valid Win32 executable.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wjview.exe does not match J2 or it is a console app and I need a GUI one.
    C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\java.exe does not match J2 or it is a console app and I need a GUI one.
    SUCCESS! C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe

Using *JNI INVOCATION* to simulate the following batch script:

BATCH SCRIPT
    ————

cd “C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\Windows”

set CLASSPATH=C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\InstallerData\IAClasses.zip;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\Windows\resource\jdglue.zip;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\InstallerData\Execute.zip;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\Windows\InstallerData\Execute.zip;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\InstallerData\Resource1.zip;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\Windows\InstallerData\Resource1.zip;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\InstallerData;C:\DOCUME~1\Susana\LOCALS~1\Temp\I1059746933\Windows\InstallerData;

C:\dev\j2sdk_nb\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe -Xms16777216 -Xmx50331648 -noverify com.zerog.lax.LAX “C:\\DOCUME~1\\Susana\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\I1059746933\\Windows\\Enterprise Workbench Installer.lax” C:\\DOCUME~1\\Susana\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\env.prop

executing java…

#197447 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Susana,

First, I’m really glad you found the problem. Most developer’s machines (mine included) contain a hodge-podge of JDK installations, and this can often cause problems.

I don’t know what the ‘null’ file is, but I wouldn’t worry about it. For future reference, you can specify exactly which VM Eclipse should launch with by modifying the alias you use to launch Eclipse and specifying the -vm argument like this:
    eclipse -vm d:\jdks\jdk1.4.1_01\bin\javaw

That will prevent Eclipse from rooting around your system looking for a compatable JDK.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197451 Reply

Susana

Thanks a lot Scott!!. Your help was great!.

Susana.

#197454 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Susana,

Thanks a lot Scott!!. Your help was great!.

It’s really great to read this because when I posted my reply to you last night, without a real resolution, I really didn’t feel well. We do our utmost to always come up with a concrete solution, and I’d felt like I’d failed. I feel much better now. 🙂

Let us know if you need anything else, and Welcome to MyEclipse.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Can’t launch Tomcat from Eclipse [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in