facebook

Can’t seem to configure Web App in Websphere 4

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I discovered that MyEclipse (3.8.2) can’t deploy a web app or an Enterprise Application Project as an Exploede Archive to Webshpere 4; that it must first be deployed as an .ear file, then configured in the WAS Admin Console.

But I haven’t been able to get that to work either. Everything gets installed and deployed in the proper directories, I can even start the App Server, but the first attempt to load a servlet fails with the error message

Servlet Error-[TLoadServlet]: Failed to load servlet: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: class com.manulife.ifs.tload.servlets.TLoadServlet : java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.beans.Beans.instantiate(Beans.java:237)
    at java.beans.Beans.instantiate(Beans.java:77)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppServletManager.loadServlet(WebAppServletManager.java:141)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppServletManager.loadAutoLoadServlets(WebAppServletManager.java:325)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebApp.loadServletManager(WebApp.java:1218)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebApp.init(WebApp.java:145)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebGroup.loadWebApp(WebGroup.java:259)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebGroup.init(WebGroup.java:168)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.ServletEngine.addWebApplication(ServletEngine.java:652)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WebContainer.install(WebContainer.java:36)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.Server.startModule(Server.java:617)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveModule.startModule(ActiveModule.java:511)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveModule.startAction(ActiveModule.java:355)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.startObject(ActiveObject.java:717)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.start(ActiveObject.java:131)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.operateOnContainedObjects(ActiveObject.java:617)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveEJBServer.startAction(ActiveEJBServer.java:735)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.startObject(ActiveObject.java:717)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.start(ActiveObject.java:131)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.agent.AdminAgentImpl.activeObjectInvocation(AdminAgentImpl.java:93)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.agent.AdminAgentImpl.invokeActiveObject(AdminAgentImpl.java:62)
    at com.ibm.ejs.sm.agent._AdminAgentImpl_Tie._invoke(_AdminAgentImpl_Tie.java:73)
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ExtendedServerDelegate.dispatch(ExtendedServerDelegate.java:515)
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.process(ORB.java:2377)
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.OrbWorker.run(OrbWorker.java:186)
    at com.ibm.ejs.oa.pool.ThreadPool$PooledWorker.run(ThreadPool.java:104)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:137)

I have checked the application.xml and web.xml files and they look fine to me. I also made sure the app was compiled using J2EE version 1.2, which WAS 4 restricts me to.

Can anybody recomend anything else I could look at.

#221618 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Your exception points to an even simpler problem:
    com.manulife.ifs.tload.servlets.TLoadServlet

Have you verified that TLoadServlet is being deployed correctly in the app server and you can infact find the class file? Is the package wrong in your web.xml file or something?

#221659 Reply

Thanks for the reply rkalla.

Everything does appear to be deployed correctly. In fact, it looks exactly like a deployment done with WSAD. The directory structure under /WebShpere/AppServer/InstalledApps looks the same in both cases, and the servlet definition in web.xml are the same as well.

Where the MyEclipse and WSAD deployments differ is in the names of things like the .war file and module names. I also looked in WebSphere’s config.xml file, and the appserver module is properly defined there as well.

Is there anywhere else the servlet might be defined or configured (classpath definitions of some sort) that I should check?

#221673 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Are you starting WAS 4 from MyEclipse’s connector? Do you have the connector configured to use the IBM JDK that came with WAS4, since this is mandatory? Can you try starting the instance you’re using in MyEclipse from the commandline? Does the application load successfully then? If it does, the problem is that the commandline startup is configured differently than the connector.

#221717 Reply

I have been starting the app server from the WAS Admin Console. I haven’t tried to get the connectory working until I can get the web app itself working.

It just seems like there is some disconnect in how its configured in WAS. Any documentation you know of that I could use to walk through the setup?

#221723 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

The first step would be to configure full logging, if it’s not already on. We have a tutorial on how to do that for WAS 5.1, but I don’t recall if WAS 4 is the same or different.
    http://myeclipseide.com/Articles/WebSphere5.1LogConfiguration/WAS5.1LogConfiguration.html

But to recap, you’re starting WAS 4 from the admin console, so the problem can’t be a problem with the connector. The deployer is deploying the application as an EAR and it appears correct to you. However, given the error you’re seeing I have a feeling that a dependent jar or property file isn’t being included as you’d expect. Can you do a file count check in the ear the works versus the ear that doesn’t to see if there are any differences?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Can’t seem to configure Web App in Websphere 4

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in