facebook

Cannot create project content in workspace

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

boskovuk

This is strange problem, I was hoping that someone can help.

I am trying to create a new project within existing workspace (which has another project):
    New -> Project -> Java Project -> Create a project from existing source

However, as soon as I type something in:
    ‘Project name’ field, Eclipse returns the error message:
    Cannot create project content in workspace

The ‘existing source’ directory is present and has a valid structure.

I tried to create another new empty project, within the same workspace – this worked.

Any help appreciated …

my environment:
    Win XP SP2
    Eclipse 3.1.0
    MyEclipse 3.9.310

#238790 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Boskovuk,

Nothing comes to mind immediately, but I notice that you’re still running one of our pre-release milestone builds of MyEclipse 4.0. We’ve since release 4.0 and 4.0.1 which contain a lot of fixes since the version you’ve got. What I’d highly recommend is that you install a freshly downloaded Eclipse 3.1.1 instance and then install MyEclipse 4.0.1 so that it uses it. You should do this in parallel to your existing environment and please don’t try to upgrade your existing setup in any way; due to changes in some of the low-level plugins we ship an upgrade from your install to the latest isn’t possible. A new installation is the only way to get to the latest release.

Once you’ve installed 4.0.1, I believe the issue will be resolved because I just tried to create a Java project in an existing, external location on my install of 4.0.1 and it worked fine. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you’ll really like that latest release a lot better.

#239108 Reply

dazy293

I am on Eclipse 3.1 and MyEclipse 4.0.1 and have the same problem.

#239117 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

What type of project are you creating? Is the location on a local drive? Can you please post all the information we request in the [URL=http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-393.html]Posting Guidelines[/URL] thread at the top of this forum? That will give us some context so that we can dig deeper.

#242511 Reply

Tanken

Hi all,

i’m having the same problem as described above.
    My system:
    WinXP SP 2
    Eclipse 3.1.1 build M20050929-0840
    JDK 1.5.0_04-b05 (mixed mode)
    fresh eclipse installation, no plugins, no updates
    running as administrator

I just downloaded Eclipse 3.1.1, unzipped it to C:\ProgramFolder, started it, selected D:\WorkspaceFolder as Workspace. D:\WorkspaceFolder already existed and contained other folders.
    In the menu I chose file>new>project, selected “Java Project”, “create project from existing source”, entered “D:\WorkspaceFolder\someotherfolder\another\another” (These folders already existed). Then, when i start typing a project name, eclipse states “cannot create project content in workspace”.
    I tried several project names, also the name of another folder under the “D:\WorkspaceFolder\someotherfolder\another\another”. Created another workspace on drive c:, tried to create the project directly under D:\WorkspaceFolder. This all doesn’t help.
    When i select “create new project in workspace” it works fine, but i want to create from an existing file tree.
    I also downloaded eclipse 3.1 but it’s the same.
    Also tried to find help on google, eclipse.org and in the help files, but nothing useful.

Thanks in advance for any help

#242524 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Tanken,
    These forums are for MyEclipse support, not generic Eclipse support; so I reposted your question to our OT forums and will follow up to it so you can get things working:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/cannot-create-project-ontop-of-existing-dir/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Cannot create project content in workspace

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in