facebook

Cannot launch eclipse

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. General
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

fermataintl

My system had an out of memory error. I shutdown and rebooted. When I attempted to launch eclipse I get an alert:

Error: could not open C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\lib\i386\jvm.cfg

When I check out the folder, there is only a bin folder under j2re1.4.2_06 with one file in it: jusched.

What happened? How can I fix this and get back to my development? I’m sorry if this is not the right place to post, I always get the best advice here and I am desparate.

Thanks.
    Dean

#229164 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Moving to OT > General.

Dean it sounds you had a hard drive failure of some kind, there should be quite a few more dirs and files under that directory. The way to fix it is to redownload the 1.4.2_08 JDK and reinstall all of it, it will reinstall the default JRE for you and Eclipse will pick it up and use it.

#229618 Reply

jshowalter

I installed j2sdk1.4.2_08 in C:. There is no C:\Program Files\Java\j2re* directory. There is a C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\jre directory, but I don’t see any way to tell Eclipse about it–it seems determined to look for a JRE in Program Files etc. What is the trick to telling Eclipse where to look?

#229619 Reply

Riyad Kalla

What is the trick to telling Eclipse where to look?

-vm command line arg, like this:

eclipse.exe -vm C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\bin\javaw.exe

#229621 Reply

jshowalter

That was fast–thanks! I had to create a .bat file with that command in it in order to have something to double-click on in lieu of the standard Eclipse icon/shortcut. I assume that’s the correct approach?

#229653 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Actually, just taking eclipse.exe and creating a shortcut, then adding the commandline arguments in the shortcut properties is the tradional approach. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Cannot launch eclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in