facebook

Checking out existing Maven projects

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Maven for MyEclipse (Maven4MyEclipse)
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Riyad Kalla

(in part to decide whether to stay on the ME platform, in part because it’s amazing that this decision was made in the first place)

Just a reminder, our intent was always to roll out Maven out in “phases”, what went into 6.5 was step 1… in hindsight, we really should have held it back until the “understanding existing projects” was atleast done.

Riyad, why move this discussion to PM? The rest of us who’re following this

I should have clarified, I was just soliciting Brad for input from his team on the Maven situation, we’ve pinged a handful of customers over the last few weeks asking more or less “what sucks about Maven4MyEclipse” and are working on addressing that in 7.0.

No solid plans yet, but I’ve created a “do or die” list for management that mirrors most people’s concerns and should get us back on the right track. The reason that was done over PM is because most times team leads like to share specifics about projects or teams that they don’t necessarily want on the public forum.

I think what we need to do to get things moving towards the right direction is 2 fold:

* Automatically understand MyEclipse + m2eclipse projects that get opened in MyEclipse 7.0, likely offer a conversion wizard that pops our builders and natures in place of the m2eclipse ones, but not much more than that.

* Add a new “Add Maven Capabilities” wizard that will “Mavenize” a project that either may already be a Maven project (has a pom.xml) or hasn’t been one yet. This is similar to the phenomenon of checking out a Web Project from CVS that is actually a JSF project, and you go ahead and add JSF Caps to it so MyEclipse understands it as such.

I have no hard commitments from management yet on either point, but that’s more or less what I’ve kicked back as the “must do” items to them. Feedback welcome.

NOTE: I realize there are numerous other enhancements that can be performed, but all I’m looking at addressing *right now* is clearing the “pissing off users” bar, that needs to stop ASAP.

#288475 Reply

Athega

What about being able to continue to use Maven (m2eclipse) for MyEclipse Standard Edition users?

#288493 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Athega,
    I don’t know what management has planned in that regard, but I know they are aware of that problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Checking out existing Maven projects

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in