facebook

[Closed] Available Memory is Low

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

rogue_dev

I keep getting this popup warning message. Specifically is says that less than 5% of the 47MB of Eden Space (Heap memory) space remains.

It then give some suggestions for increasing the amount of RAM available to Eclipse.

Well, the Ecplise memory report shows 104 of 762MByte used.

My start parameters (in the eclipse.ini file) are:
    -vmargs
    -Xms768M
    -Xmx768M
    -XX:PermSize=64M
    -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

#261263 Reply

Haris Peco

You maybe have edited eclipse.ini with non-text editor

see this thread http://myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-14281.html

Regards,

#261286 Reply

rogue_dev

This issue here is NOT eclipse.ini. I am NOT getting load errors using this file. Eclipse itself reports lots of free heap space, in fact showing the amount of total heap space which is specified in eclispe.ini.

Preferences/ General/ Show Heap Status

The issue is MyEclipse giving a warning message which is in-correct.

#261293 Reply

support-jed
    Keymaster

Hi rouge_dev,

I’ve got a couple questions.

1. Which VM are you running? To find out precisely, select the Help->About action. In the About Dialog, select the Configuration Details action. In the Configuration Details dialog there should be a line that reads java.runtime.version=<version> and another that reads java.vendor=<vendor>.

2. What are you doing when the errors occur? Our memory monitoring code goes to great lengths to avoid false positives. A test case would be very helpful in tracing down scenarios where our code does not handle itself correctly.

Finally, I have a suggestion that may or may not be of help. I have never run with the -XX:PermSize=64M flag. I only use the -XX:MaxPermSize=128M flag. It would be very strange if this flag effected the Eden space, but who knows. VMs have been known to do strange things in the past, so… it’s worth a shot. Try leaving the -XX:PermSize=64M flag off.

Hope this helps!

#262266 Reply

rogue_dev

Hi, sorry got called away…

1. JVM 1.5.0_06

2. Just working away. Several editors active, both Java and JSP (not design). I have had this several times, usually after a few hours of work. Eclipse shows the heap status as having lots left.

I did not even know perm size existed until your warning popped-up, and there it was, right in the recommended settings 🙂

Since Java 1.4, there is a memory retrieval function Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() and Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory(). I use these to gather memory usage in my application.

#262282 Reply

support-jed
    Keymaster

Hi rouge_dev,

Can you try with 1.5.0_08? We found 1.5.0_06 to have memory problems.

Thanks!

#264048 Reply

rogue_dev

Ok, upgraded to Java 1.6.0, Eclipse 3.2.1, and MyEclipse 5.1

I still get the low memory warning even though the Eclipse heap manager shows about 10% used as per the messages above.

#264050 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ok, upgraded to Java 1.6.0, Eclipse 3.2.1, and MyEclipse 5.1

Doh, too far. We don’t build/test with 6 yet, but in the limited testing I’ve done personally it mostly works except for a few wonky behaviors that I barely noticed.

Also if you go to MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details, and look down for the command line information near the bottom, are your memory args getting picked up? You could just be running out of permSpace…

#264078 Reply

rogue_dev

Ha, ahead of the curve 🙂

Looking at MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details does NOT show the Xms or Xmx args.

However looking at Help/ About/ Configuration Details DOES show Xms and Xmx (eclipse.vmargs)

Both these args are in the eclipse.ini file. Altering the the size from -Xms768M -Xmx768M to -Xms512M -Xmx512M does show a difference in the heap size which Eclipse reports, and the amount of RAM consumed in the Windows Task Manager also shows the change.

#264080 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The problem here, I don’t think, is heap size, but permgen space. That is controlled by your -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M flags. Full flags here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-10087.html

#264085 Reply

rogue_dev

Ok, but I did have these set after I first encountered the warning (my first post). Adjusting them to the recommended values (as per the warning pop-up) did not help.

BTW, ignoring the warning (not re-starting Eclipse) does not seem to have any side-affects.

#264092 Reply

Riyad Kalla

rogue,
    Is this occuring when or after using the designer? One of our developers has been hunting down memory leaks on Linux (don’t occur on Windows for some reason) in the designer for quite a while and we will be pushing out a fix soon that will be in our next release that should improve this… I wonder if that is what is going on here.

#264093 Reply

rogue_dev

No, I do not use the designer. All the web pages are I18N and the designer would not know how to interpret the codes, plus I use file includes for headers, footers, library JSP fragments, etc. In fact if I could remove the two designer tabs at the bottom of the JSP editor I would.

This happens at almost random. Editing JSP pages, this AM while I was scrolling up an XML file, it has happened when I was in the Java editor. Sometimes after a few minutes after starting Eclipse, sometimes it does not happen at all that day. The amount of used heap space goes up and down, and does not seem to just grow.

I wish I could give you a scenario….

I think it started in the 5.x series. I do not remember this in the 4.x versions.

#264098 Reply

Riyad Kalla

In fact if I could remove the two designer tabs at the bottom of the JSP editor I would.

If you assign the extensions (.jsp and so on) to the “MyEclipse JSP Editor” or “MyEclipse HTML Editor” instead of the “Designer”, then I think that is what you want. You have just a Source tab and a preview tab. The startup of the editor is also faster.

I wish I could give you a scenario….

I think it started in the 5.x series. I do not remember this in the 4.x versions.

I know I said don’t try this originally, but let’s try the opposite of what I said earlier. If you have the final release of JDK 6 installed, can you try and use that to run MyEclipse and see if the situation improves? The reason I ask is because during some testing on Ubuntu, with JDK 1.5.0_04 I ran into situations where HUGE amounts of memory were allocated and not let go and the workbench would just crash. Then I tried a nightly build of 1.6 and it worked fine. Fortunately an upgrade of 1.5.0 later on fixed the issue, but I wonder if 1.6 may give you a better result?

#264107 Reply

rogue_dev

If you assign the extensions (.jsp and so on) to the “MyEclipse JSP Editor” or “MyEclipse HTML Editor” instead of the “Designer”, then I think that is what you want. You have just a Source tab and a preview tab. The startup of the editor is also faster.

Both editors were already associated, but I made the JSP Editor the default. Now the editor loads in under 1 second where before it was taking 5-6 seconds (initial load). Also, I do not have ANY tabs, just the source view. Thanks!

but I wonder if 1.6 may give you a better result?

I am using 1.6.0-b105

By 4.x and 5.x I meant MyEclipse versions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Reply To: [Closed] Available Memory is Low

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in