facebook

[Closed] Painfully slow diagrams

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Aleš Perme

I am not satisfied with auto layout, so I am trying to move “boxes” (4 interfaces and 8 classes) around, but it is practically impossible as it looks like slideshow! Also associations get scrambled. Pentium 4 3GHz should do the job.

Any suggestions?

-Borut

MyEclipse
    Version: 4.0.3
    Build id: 20051025-4.0.3-GA

#242241 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Borut,
    What would really help us here is an example file that we can use internally as our test case for the performance profiling in the tool. Would you be able to share this UMR file with us? If so, please email it to: support@genuitec.com ATTN Riyad, with a link to this thread so I know why I’m getting it.

#242299 Reply

Hi,

The operation compartment of the class is making the class box quite large (wide). When this section is hidden, moving becomes somewhat barable, but still far from smooth.

I am sending the UMR file to the support address.

-Borut

P.S. My previous post was from different ME account.

#242504 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Borut,

We received your example and I sent it off to the development team for analysis. Here’s what I got back from the principlal UML tools developer:

The diagrams opened up instantly for me. I removed the heap settigns and even then all the diagrams opened up in under 5 seconds. Seems acceptable to me. There could be some other issue with his config that we aren’t aware of.

From this, it could easily be a memory configuration issue with Eclipse. Can you try launching Eclipse with the following commandline arguments and see if the performance improves:
    eclipse.exe -vmargs -Duser.language=en -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

#242510 Reply

It seems a reboot helped. I am always running eclipse with -Xmx512M, but I guess the system (win xp) was up for too long. I can safely conclude the problem was not UML editor related. I can move even large (wide) classes smoothly now.

Sorry for false newbie alarm and thanks for the reply.

-Borut

#242516 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Borut,
    Glad to hear things are back to normal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: [Closed] Painfully slow diagrams

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in