facebook

[Closed] User Library looses references

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

zambizzi

I’ve had this issue since buying 4.1x last year…and the issue is still present in 5.1.

I’m developing EJB3 apps against JBoss 4.0.5 and to do so, a User Library of the JBoss EJB3 jars needs to be made and referenced in the EJB portion of the Enterprise project in MyEclipse.

Everything will go just ducky for a while…then I’ll shut MyEclipse down….start it back up later and suddenly MyEclipse can’t “see” the EJB3 User Library…even though it’s clearly still referenced and nothing has changed. There are red underlines under every EJB3 import, annotation, or any calls to anything in the EJB3 User Library.

Removing the reference and re-adding it will “fix” this most times…sometimes not and it’s a matter of cleaning the project, restarting MyEclipse, and doing whatever pee-pee dance comes to mind until the erros go away.

Is there any chance of seeing this bug fixed eventually? This doesn’t happen *only* w/ the EJB3 libs I’m using, it happens w/ any of the User Libraries I’ve created.

I’m using (from Help->About…):

MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 5.1.0 GA
    Build id: 20061111-5.1.0-GA

I installed it last week and I’m using the “all-in-one” bundle on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks!

#264612 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Unfortunately we don’t instrument the User Library functionality from the platform in any way, so it’s possible there could be some behavior or setup you have that is exacerbating a bug in the implementation… my first line of defense though would be to restart using -clean incase it’s a stale cache issue that is screwing with it’s state when it is restarted:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-10280.html

#264669 Reply

zambizzi

Yeah, that’s the advice I got last time, however it has “-clean” hard-coded into the startup shortcut…so that’s never helped. I can’t be one of a few (or the only one) having this problem…I can re-create it in several different versions and now on two fresh installs of Windows XP.

Like I said, it’s not terrible…just annoying at worst. I can usually get it to go away in a matter of 30 sec. but sometimes it’s stubborn and I have to restart myeclipse to fix it.

#264673 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Yeah, that’s the advice I got last time, however it has “-clean” hard-coded into the startup shortcut…so that’s never helped. I can’t be one of a few (or the only one) having this problem…I can re-create it in several different versions and now on two fresh installs of Windows XP.

I honestly don’t see other folks reporting this… please point me to threads I’m missing. If this is an epidemic that I’m missing I’ll certainly have someone look into it if we can help.

I totally agree it’s annoying… honestly if it was happening to me, I’d just create a new workspace and import my old projects and preferences and pray it went away.

#268844 Reply

tib_onu

It happens to me all the time, on different workspaces and on two different computers. Here are my installation details:

*** Date:
    Friday, April 13, 2007 7:09:18 o’clock PM EDT

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.5.0_11

*** MyEclipse details:
    Version: 5.1.1 GA
    Build id: 20070302-5.1.1-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.2.2
    Build id: M20070212-1330

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.2.2.r322_v20070119-RQghndJN8IM0MsK

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.2.2.r322_v20070104-8pcviKVqd8J7C1U

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.2.2.r322_v20070104-R4CR0Znkvtfjv9-

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060823-6vYLLdQ3Nk8DrFG

Eclipse Project SDK

Version: 3.2.2.r322_v20070104-dCGKm0Ln38lm-8s

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework

Version: 3.2.2.v20070208
    Build id: 20070208-1315

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    Q:\Dev\Eclipse 3.2.2\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    1a0_58
    -clean
    -Duser.name=XXXXX
    -vm
    C:\WINNT\system32\javaw.exe

In my workspace I have a simple project holding 3rd party jars. The 3rd party jars are part of some Eclipse user library definitions. I also have a couple of projects that have such a user library in their build path. One of the projects is fine, the second is missing all the jar files in the user library. Cleaning up the workspace, as well as starting the IDE with the -clean option doesn’t make any difference. I have to exit the IDE and restart it. It sometimes takes a couple of restarts (and no other action) to have the problem fixed.

The .log file in the workspace’s .metadata directory is empty.

If needed, I can send you some screen captures that illustrate the problem.
    [/img]

#268853 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

This may be unrelated, but I notice your startup arguments don’t contain any memory settings which means that as soon as the workspace spins up it will likely be memory constrained. Can you try adjusting the heap settings as specified in this FAQ entry? It may not help with this issue (or it might) but it will surely make everything run better overall.

#268855 Reply

tib_onu

Do I really need to pass these arguments in the command line? My eclipse.ini file looks like this:

-vmargs
    -Dosgi.splashLocation=Q:\Dev\MyEclipseIDE 5.1.1\eclipse\MyEclipseSplash.bmp

-Xms128m
    -Xmx512m

Granted, the PermGen space has the default size (64M) but I don’t recall ever running into memory issues. Anyways, even after adjusting the PermGen size as suggested, the problem is still there.

#269228 Reply

Joe George

I’m experiencing the problem with the missing jars in the user libraries as well. My set-up:
    *** Date: Mon Apr 23 10:39:07 EDT 2007

*** Platform Details:

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.5.0_11

*** MyEclipse details:
    Version: 5.5 M2

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.2.2

Eclipse startup command
    C:\eclipse-3.2\eclipse.exe -vm C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_11\bin\javaw.exe -vmargs -Xms128M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

#269236 Reply

Riyad Kalla

jgeorge300,
    Do you mean your build path for some projects are now broken or do you mean when you go to look at certain user libraries, the contents are marked with an error marker as (not there)?

Also which libraries?

This can happen when upgrading sometimes and the workspaces gets out of sync with the install, you can fix it by hitting Restore Defaults which will reset all the libraries to point at the correct (updated) paths for the JARs that are their contents.

#269251 Reply

Joe George

My problem is the same as zambizzi’s. I have defined several user libraries to reference third party jars. (e.g. My user library ‘Oracle 9.2.0.1’ is defined to include the the Oracle JDBC jar files)

In my workspace, my projects will list the src dir, the JRE System library and the various User libraries I have defined. I can expand the various User libraries to show the jars they include. On occasion, Eclipse will report error about an undefined import. The User library in the package explorer will show no associated jar files. My projects have about 10 User Libraries added to the build path. Some will still work while others do not.

The build path of the project has not changed. The User Library dialog still shows all of the jars files.

#269254 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The user libraries are provided by the platform and we don’t do anything to instrument them, so something squirrely is going on here if they are loosing their contents. Try restarting using -clean as outlined here:

and see if that helps.

#269260 Reply

tib_onu

@support-rkalla wrote:

Try restarting using -clean as outlined here:

and see if that helps.

We’re going in circles here. As I already reported, at least in my case restarting with -clean makes no difference (other than making the startup process slower) and cleaning up the projects doesn’t help either.

I understand that the problem might be out of your control, however this doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist 😉

#269263 Reply

Riyad Kalla

We’re going in circles here.

Doh… I think I got my wires crossed, there are like 3 people in this thread now.

Guys my only suggestion would be to create a new workspace and import your preferences and projects into the new workspace as outlined here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-14682.html

and hope that the issue goes away. Since we don’t instrument the User Libraries at all, my only guess as to why they are going sour is it’s possible the workspace’s state is corrupted in some manner, so getting a clean workspace should help.

#269536 Reply

Joe George

It looks like someone has already submitted the problem we are experiencing in the Eclipse Bug DB. It looks like they have a solution, but I haven’t tried it yet.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=154984

Joe

#269617 Reply

kfreeman

The referenced fix definitely worked for me, and this problem has been irritating me for some time now.

To summarize the steps for others that want to fix this problem:

1. Exit Eclipse

2. Delete the existing org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.2.3.v_686_R32x.jar from the plugins directory

3. Add org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.2.3.z20070319-1931.jar (from here: http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/core/patches/org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.2.3.z20070319-1931.jar) to this same plugins directory

4. Restart Eclipse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: [Closed] User Library looses references

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in