facebook

Code Completion Does Not Work [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

markreha

I just officially purchased MyEclipse after playing around with 2 months ago. In first Hello World web application using Eclipse 2.1.2 on XP code completion does nothing for HTML, JSP tags, or JSTL in my test JSP file. When ever I enter a < nothing at all ever pops up. Is there something wrong with my configuration or do you have to enable this feature?

#203782 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mark,

It’s a configuration issue. Please post all the information we ask for in the Posting Guidelines thread and we’ll be happy to help.

#203791 Reply

Riyad Kalla

mark,
    you might also want to double check that your html/jsp/whatever files are reigsted to open with the “MyEclipse JSP Editor”, this is usually the solution to this problem. People typically have a stray install of Lomboz or something stealing the editing rights to webdocs instead of MyEclipse.

#204984 Reply

Rich Schramm

Im new to myEclipse, running the tutorial and encountering the same problem with code completion. I did have an install of lomboz that I since deleted and am trying Mark’s suggestion. On winows2k it showed my jsp extentions mapped to xmlSpy. I cant seem to find anything that looks like “MyEclipse JSP Editor” to bind jsp files to in either c:\ProgramFiles\MyEclipse or c:\eclipse directories. Am I missing something or how do I do this?

#204986 Reply

Riyad Kalla

rschramm,
    When we refer to “File associations” we mean internal to Eclipse, not the windows file associations. If you open up Eclipse, then go to Window->Preferences->Workbench->File associations, here is where you can set the mapping between file extensions and their respective editors. In this case you will want to map the jsp extention to the “MyEclipse JSP Editor”.

Let us know if that helps.

#204994 Reply

Rich Schramm

Thanks., the association is correct as you described but still no luck. As I understand front the Web Tutorial. as soon as I type < in the jspEditor I should see html tag options or <% i should see my helloWorld methods. Im not getting anything in either case.
    Im stumped…

#204995 Reply

Rich Schramm

Sorry to be so dumb about this… Im getting the tag complettion thanks to <ctrl/space but Im not seeing my HelloWorld class if I do <% ctrl/space Ive followed the tutorial twice now with no luck.. any help appreciated!! -Rich

#204997 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rich,
    Some good steps to take is to make sure that HelloWorld class is in a package, and then you will need to create an object of that type:

<% HelloWorld hello = new HelloWorld(); %>

<body>
      <%= hello.sayHello() %>
    </body>

Does something like the above work? (adjust the class name and method call according to what you have in your code)

#205001 Reply

Rich Schramm

It works! thanks for the help…
    for TOTAL newbies like me. Might I suggest the tutorial in the

MyEclipse UserGuide > Getting Started >Web Development & Deployment Tutorial

It seems to to be a bit more complete than than Flash-based ‘tour’ off of the main tutorials&demos page!

Thanks for the great and responsive help!!! 😀

#205002 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is a great suggestion that we try and see how these type of additions will fall into our schedule best.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Code Completion Does Not Work [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in